Genetic dispositions for taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the recent thread about forgetting things at the supermarket, it was noted that people who don’t like cilantro because it “tastes like soap” are genetically disposed to perceive the taste that way. This phenomenon has been studied and proven, from what I’ve read.

What other genetic dispositions do you think there might be regarding the sense of taste? For instance, a lot of people say beets taste like dirt (myself included). Is this genetic? Or do beets actually taste like dirt?

What part would such a genetic mutation play in evolution?

Hi, Joel. I've heard that before, too. Beets must be one of those genetic taste things. :) I love beets and don't think they taste like dirt at all. If anything, I find the taste of roasted beets more on the sweet side.

Unless they're pickled - I don't care for those as much. JMO. :)

I cooked up some beets to make pickled beets. They were kind of old and sorry looking. I threw them out because they tasted like dirt after I cooked them. Beets have never tasted like dirt to me before.

I'm not sure differences in food preferences are necessarily related to genetics. Sometimes, people like or don't like certain things because of cultural differences, their parents' preferences, whether something is familiar, etc. Different people also differ in the sensitivity of their taste buds; for example, some perceive bitterness more than most, like RP was saying. We'll have to see what the scientists doing this research find out about it. Otherwise, we're just guessing.

Lots of thought provoking information here, and yes I read it all including the links.

"Nutrigenomics" is fascinating and something completely new to me.

I guess it must be fate or luck to be married to someone who has the exact same intense likes and dislikes when it comes to food. Now that puzzles me.

SO and I are among those that taste soap when eating raw cilantro. I find when it's cooked into a dish, the taste isn't an issue.

Ditto here. It is the main reason I am not a fan of flavors from the southern part of our country. Leave out the cilantro, and I am willing to give it a try.

Lots of thought provoking information here, and yes I read it all including the links.

I guess it must be fate or luck to be married to someone who has the exact same intense likes and dislikes when it comes to food. Now that puzzles me.
Throwing out a wild guess: Maybe the same or related genes makes a person give off a specific type or group of pheromone that is/are particularly attractive to people with those same genes.

Was your first husband the same way?

I'd guess it's one of those things that makes you feel comfortable with a person. If you dated someone who had a lot of food dislikes, or disliked things you especially like, I imagine it would turn you off the person and you wouldn't end up married to him.

Interesting... My first wife and I had exact likes in food and most all else.. I have to be reasonable and believe that our marrying at 19 had a lot to do with that..

Ross

The International Food Information Council Foundation website set off an alarm bell in my suspicious mind so I checked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Food_Information_Council

Now this link IS from Wikipedia and not the Encyclopedia Britannica so do with it what you will.
Sometimes good information can come from iffy sources ;) although I have no problem with Monsanto or genetically modified foods. And the Center for Food Safety, which criticizes IFIC, is itself an advocacy group against GM food and not an impartial observer.

I don't see anything suspicious in the article I posted; I read several before deciding on that one, because it has a quick review of genetics.

Last edited:
The article didn’t really say much beyond explaining the terminology and saying it’s in its infancy.

Throwing out a wild guess: Maybe the same or related genes makes a person give off a specific type or group of pheromone that is/are particularly attractive to people with those same genes.

That's an interesting theory Taxi. You could be right.

Was your first husband the same way?

I'd guess it's one of those things that makes you feel comfortable with a person. If you dated someone who had a lot of food dislikes, or disliked things you especially like, I imagine it would turn you off the person and you wouldn't end up married to him.

It was similar with my first husband too GG, although he had a passion for black licorice, but I couldn't stand even the smell of it. Other than that, we were on the mark with tastes also.

Interesting... My first wife and I had exact likes in food and most all else.. I have to be reasonable and believe that our marrying at 19 had a lot to do with that..

Ross

My first husband and I were also married as 19 yr olds Ross. Like you, we kind of grew into our adult tastes together.

Souschef and I didn't even meet till we were officially Senior Citizens. ;)

Back
Top Bottom