Genetic dispositions for taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
In the recent thread about forgetting things at the supermarket, it was noted that people who don’t like cilantro because it “tastes like soap” are genetically disposed to perceive the taste that way. This phenomenon has been studied and proven, from what I’ve read.

What other genetic dispositions do you think there might be regarding the sense of taste? For instance, a lot of people say beets taste like dirt (myself included). Is this genetic? Or do beets actually taste like dirt?

What part would such a genetic mutation play in evolution?

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I've found that I seem to be more sensitive to bitter flavors than many people. I really can't deal with flavors like coffee (even if I use a lot sugar and cream, it still turns my stomach), and I don't like beers that are heavy on hops like most IPA's. I dislike eggplant for the same reason. They don't taste like something else, they just don't taste good to me.

I love cilantro, and feel that a traditional salsa without it is rather bland and uninspired.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I've found that I seem to be more sensitive to bitter flavors than many people. I really can't deal with flavors like coffee (even if I use a lot sugar and cream, it still turns my stomach), and I don't like beers that are heavy on hops like most IPA's. I dislike eggplant for the same reason. They don't taste like something else, they just don't taste good to me.

I love cilantro, and feel that a traditional salsa without it is rather bland and uninspired.
Has this been a lifelong condition for you?

I love cilantro too!

SO and I are among those that taste soap when eating raw cilantro. I find when it's cooked into a dish, the taste isn't an issue.

Apparently 17 have been discovered so far. .

Italian researchers studying the genetic basis of food cravings have discovered 17 genes related to liking specific foods including dark chocolate, artichokes, bacon, coffee and of course broccoli. Additionally, in separate studies the team also discovered genes linked with salt perception and metabolizing certain types of food.

Together, the series of studies bolsters a branch of research called nutrigenetics, which focuses on understanding the way our genes affect our choice of foods and our body’s ability to process these foods. Researchers believe the studies could contribute to personalized diets that make healthy foods tastier by catering to people’s preferences.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d...ods-may-be-written-in-our-genes/#.XHwApexOm2d

... Now that we’ve covered some the basics of genetics, let’s talk about nutrigenomics. Nutrigenomics studies how our individual genetic makeup contributes to how we process what we eat and drink, and how this may affect health outcomes like obesity or cardiovascular disease risk. It looks at the interaction between nutrients and other dietary compounds with the human genome – all the way down at the molecular level. Work in nutrigenomics began about 15 years ago after the conclusion of the Human Genome Project, where we learned that while 99.9 percent of everyone’s genes are the same, the remaining 0.1 percent are responsible for the vast array of differences between individuals. This includes our response to diet.

https://foodinsight.org/in-the-know-about-nutrigenomics/

Last edited:
I love cilantro, both the smell and taste.

I don't think I know what papayas taste like. The smell alone gags me so that's as far as I'll go. The same goes with natto.
I don’t even need to smell natto to gag. Just the sight of it revolts me! But I don’t think it’s genetic, I think it’s because natto is just revolting. A very much “acquired taste.”

I too do not like papaya. Or persimmon.

SO and I are among those that taste soap when eating raw cilantro. I find when it's cooked into a dish, the taste isn't an issue.
Same here, well sort of. I just strongly dislike cilantro. I don't think it particularly tastes like soap, but it has been a long time since I tasted soap. I also find it's not an issue when it's cooked. That took a long time to figure out.

I don’t even need to smell natto to gag. Just the sight of it revolts me!

Funny you mentioned that. Last week my wife brought home a couple of side dishes for me, in solid, vacuum sealed packaging, labeled all in Japanese. Obviously she had no idea what she was buying :LOL: So when I saw them in the fridge the following day I immediately felt this queasy feeling in my gut and told her exactly what they were and that I can die from eating this stuff....:LOL:

We have a good family friend who's 100% Mexican and cannot stand cilantro and onions. I always garnish my tacos with chopped onions and cilantro. His tacos always look rather boring.
Also, sometimes when I make curry and calls for 2 large onions, I need to use onion powder instead when I know our friend will be joining for dinner.

I just read that first article. It was interesting. I particularly found this interesting,

"Interestingly, none of these 17 genes encoded a taste or smell receptor — the obvious candidates for influencing our appetites. Thus, researchers don’t yet know why variants of these genes would impact our favorite foods."

I just read a paper, Genetic Predisposition and Taste Preference: Impact on Food Intake and Risk of Chronic Disease.

They list a number of genes and SNPs on those genes that are related to taste receptors. There are a number of different receptors for bitter. That could explain why I notice bitter in dark chocolate, coffee made with dark roast beans, quinine, grapefruit, sodium benzoate, etc. But, I don't notice any bitter in broccoli or Brussels sprouts.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13668-012-0021-3

I think it's likely that food preference are a combination of genetics, culture, and exposure.

Has this been a lifelong condition for you?

Yes. For as long as I can remember, I've disliked anything that is bitter. Sometimes it can be disguised sufficiently, but things like coffee just permeate whatever they are mixed in with and turn the whole thing into an inedible concoction for me.

I like milk chocolate, but can't stand any kind of dark chocolate. Adding coffee to chocolate to make mocha is a total waste of chocolate.

I love toll house cookies, but I make them with only about 1/3 of the semi-sweet chocolate chips called for in the recipe. My wife knows if she only buys dark chocolate candy that I won't be tempted to pilfer any. :rolleyes:

I just read a paper, Genetic Predisposition and Taste Preference: Impact on Food Intake and Risk of Chronic Disease.

They list a number of genes and SNPs on those genes that are related to taste receptors. There are a number of different receptors for bitter. That could explain why I notice bitter in dark chocolate, coffee made with dark roast beans, quinine, grapefruit, sodium benzoate, etc. But, I don't notice any bitter in broccoli or Brussels sprouts.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13668-012-0021-3

I think it's likely that food preference are a combination of genetics, culture, and exposure.

I think so, too.

Curious - when you read a paper like this, do you have to look up any of the words? ;)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Absolutely. I probably spent more time looking up words and stuff than reading the paper.
I've done that, and I still wonder if I'm missing something because I could be misinterpreting the context or don't know how certain tests work, etc. Reading scientific papers is HARD [emoji38]

Not sure if it is genetics, but I can taste the metal in cheap silverware. Everyone else in the family just thinks I'm being a silverware snob.

Ok I'm gonna share something here, when I was about 14 a girl I has been seeing got pregnant, others were also seeing her. Another guy was fingered by her as the father. I never thought anything since. About 4 years ago I got a txt. Long story short I am the father of her son. We met and he's a dead spit of me, now here's where it gets weird. His food tastes are EXACTLY the same as mine, down to milk shakes flavour, ice cream flavour, pie flavour, his hates are mine also. It really freaks me out. He's a good cook as well, we even had the same motorbikes as a youngster. Triumph trident. It's really really odd the coincidence?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom