"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #11
Head Chef

I just saw the headline on my Yahoo home page and am shocked and very sad. He was my favorite comedian of all time. Not only was he hilariously funny, but his monologues spoke the truth especially those about the war. He will be missed by me and many others.
If any of you out there have never seen his HBO specials, tune in to one of them and listen carefully to what he is saying. Lots of good stuff there. Be aware he is a potty mouthed comedian who loves the F word. Who cares? It's just a word.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Sort of like that, I tend to be oblivious to way more things than I should. He would make a comment, it would seem funny, and then after it sunk in, I would say Yes, folks do that and it's not right. Then you are thinking about the meaning of what he said.

I think that might have been his mission. He pointed out a lot of things that needed to be changed, but, he made us laugh doing it.

Am I amking sense? Hope so - AC
Yeah, perfect sense. One of the reasons he took the FCC on. He did a bit recently on people who drive by accident scenes in their cars..looking, gaping, but never doing anything about it. It got even funnier when he mentioned the mentality behind the 'hit and run' drivers. "It happened outside my car, so I'm not going to get involved"..

Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I just saw the headline on my Yahoo home page and am shocked and very sad. He was my favorite comedian of all time. Not only was he hilariously funny, but his monologues spoke the truth especially those about the war. He will be missed by me and many others.
If any of you out there have never seen his HBO specials, tune in to one of them and listen carefully to what he is saying. Lots of good stuff there. Be aware he is a potty mouthed comedian who loves the F word. Who cares? It's just a word.
"it's just a word"....precisely why he did that '7 things you can never say on tv' bit.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
Master Chef

Always enjoyed him.... I love the fact that he would tackle topics most choose to avoid. He will be missed!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
Master Chef

what a hoot.......I loved his humor....now you're up in heaven......I be they made an exception to the f word for ou............
Old 06-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

He was a very funny man and one of my favorite comedians. Here are some quotes to remember him by...

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where’s the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Honesty may be the best policy, but it’s important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.

“The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don’t have time for all that.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Hospitality Queen

Thanks for the chuckles, GB.

My boys are bummed that "Rufus" from "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" is gone.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
Head Chef

Vera,

I'm sure George would be very happy to here you say he "died". He had a bit about that.

Quote:
In one of his most famous routines, Carlin railed against euphemisms he said have become so widespread that no one can simply "die."
"'Older' sounds a little better than 'old,' doesn't it?," he said. "Sounds like it might even last a little longer. ... I'm getting old. And it's OK. Because thanks to our fear of death in this country I won't have to die, I'll 'pass away.' Or I'll 'expire,' like a magazine subscription. If it happens in the hospital they'll call it a 'terminal episode.' The insurance company will refer to it as 'negative patient care outcome.' And if it's the result of malpractice they'll say it was a 'therapeutic misadventure.'"
I think his greatest lines weren't the "7 dirty words" but some of the others that were so wry and/or sarcastic that people may not have always caught the truth behind them. My personal favorite was about the people trying to "Save the World"...

"The world isn't going anywhere folks.... WE are"

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Oh Boy - I'm so glad you posted something about ole George - Man, what a persona. Larger than Life - but he walked his talk, and I respected him for that I loved his direct nature, his satire, his in-your-face philosophy, how he wasn't worried about offending anyone because he knew he was coming from a good place... he actually said that some people deserve to be offended... (!) He was one of a kind, one of my heros....

I was playing the Celebrity Name Game here yesterday, and his was one of the names I posted... weird.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #20
Head Chef

Loved George Carlin - the world is a less honest and less true place without him in it. I think he became more discouraged and cynical as he grew older, but he was never afraid to say how he felt and always made me laugh.