George Carlin died this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vera,

I'm sure George would be very happy to here you say he "died". He had a bit about that.

I think his greatest lines weren't the "7 dirty words" but some of the others that were so wry and/or sarcastic that people may not have always caught the truth behind them. My personal favorite was about the people trying to "Save the World"...

"The world isn't going anywhere folks.... WE are" :mrgreen:

I said 'died' for a reason, hahahaha. Passed away sounds like anything other than what it really is.

this guy was my male inspiration so funny and smart........therapeutic misadventure.....now that's pure Carlinism...............that there is funny...........compliments of Git Her Done.......Larry the Cable Guy..........

Wow, how did I miss THIS news and this thread? George Carlin was one of, in not my favourite comedian. He just had a way of speaking the obvious in a way that was both funny and thought provoking. One of my favourite bits was oxymorons - how he would go on about "jumbo shrimp" and "same difference". Ever since that I have loved searching out oxymorons myself....now when I do I will think of George.

Thanks, Vera, for letting us know.

Tim Russert, beloved journalist and host of a very popular syndicated news show, "Meet The Press." Very fair, very thorough, very hardworking, very well respected, very missed. Tom Brokaw is taking over his spot, for now... he was only 58.

Thanks, Pot Clanger and GB. I am not familiar with him but then again I think Meet the Press is an American show that I haven't seen much of. We seem to watch your fiction and our own fact shows!

I first saw George Carlin when he came to my university to do a show. His hair was still short and Brylcreemed-looking and he wore a suit and tie (tells you something about how long ago that was.)

He was doing the Hippy Dippy Weatherman bit back then.

Even with the suit and bad hair (this was the late 60s) he was still hilarious.

Like my hero humorist Mark Twain, whose namesake award George was to be honored with in November at the Kennedy Center, George's humor got darker as he aged.

But he was always funny, and always made me think.

I loved George Carlin. Yes, he was foul mouthed, that I didn't care for too much. What I liked is that he spoke his mind and did not care who got mad about it!! lol
That man will definately be missed in the comedy industry!

rest his soul. sorry he's gone.
i love his skit on felines, 'cept i csn't give details cause he swears & swears during that skit.

well, you just got the impression that he was intelligent.....and I respect that

I was just talking to my 83 year old Dad about Carlin's death and he said that my sister and I knew more about him than Dad did. I said yeah and I was really glad about that because if my parents knew about his foul language they probably would've confiscated my record albums!:LOL: And Dad said he knew he was that way, but respected him for being honest so didn't mind us listening. I guess he must have been evesdropping through my closed bedroom door because at the time I didn't even think my parents knew who George Carlin was!!!!

He was intelligent. He was extremely well read and better versed in current affairs than most people. That's actually true of most comedians who deal in current events. You have to have the facts if you want to satire a situation. You'd risk looking foolish rather than possessing a rapier wit.

Back
Top Bottom