"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Get a load of this (Mold Problems)

We discovered a plumbing leak about a month ago. Our landlord has been dragging her feet and finally got someone out to dig into the wall last week. They discovered mold, and lots of it. The mold has engulfed the straw insulation, the drywall and some of the structural supports of the second floor.

The contractor said they needed an environmental assessment before they could continue--duh!. Our wonderful landlord won't approve it because it's too expensive. So here we sit. The wall is torn open. We're protected only by a sheet of plastic and some duct tape. My whole family is sick and nothing has been done for a week.

I'm contacting an attorney and we're looking for a new place to live. But we're stuck here, probably for six more weeks. I'm dreading it.

For your pleasure, here's a pic:

Old 05-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Cook

He MUST by law fix it because of the health risk, call the attorney ASAP

Old 05-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Call the Dept of Building & Safety - County. They will come out, inspect, cite & fine the owner if it is not corrected by a certain date. The building must come up to Code.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

Comon be a good American, and sue her. Mold is a health risk big time, I would get a good attorney who can scare her.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
Executive Chef

An attorney will cost YOU a lot of money. Building & Safety will come out unannounced and issue a citation, and again fine if not corrected by a certain date. More importantly is your safety right now. Get out if need be, an deal with the rest later.

I can't begin to tell you the heartache and monies spent as a homeowner handed over to the HOA for the problems that have gone uncorrected for years. I struggle with getting an attorney, because I know it will cost me a lot of money - and what do I stand to gain in the end. As a renter, you can walk away. Sorry to 'read' 'see' this. It's unconscionable!
Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Master Chef

I would definitely contact an attorney ASAP. Most attorneys will give you a free consultation in which they give you an idea of what they can do for you and what that would cost.

IMO will probably not cost you a whole lot in terms of the lawyer.

Also, if you qualify, Oregon Legal Services will help you.

Here is some information concerning Oregon landlord-tenant law and the landlord's duty to repair.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I'm looking for an attorney. My concern with the building department is that, if they deem it unlivable, we don't have a place to live. We recently moved and have no social support here.

Thanks for the link, jennyema
Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti
My concern with the building department is that, if they deem it unlivable, we don't have a place to live.
If they do deem it unlivable then you don't want to be there anyway. It would be a hard situation that you would be in, but you don't want to take changes with your health like that.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
Master Chef

If it's unlivable, then the landlord may be responsible for paying the costs to have you live elsewhere. This is where a lawyer would be helpful.

Good Luck.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
So sorry to hear of the mold issue. Do get it handled ASAP - don't jeopardize your health.