"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
How fun for your family!
Enjoy every minute of the new love!!

Old 02-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
beagles are good dogs if trained properly, they can be stubborn...
but with any dog they can be trained to follow your commands,ect... they have alot of energy and love to explore,they have quite a nose for it actually... and beagles come in different sizes as well,looking at thier paws as pups will give you an indication how big they will get... good luck in the puppy adventure!!!! :)

Old 02-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara
I'm sorry for the lovers, but in my opinion they are one of the most stupid dogs in world
Even stupid dogs need love
Old 02-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #14
Master Chef

All dogs can be stupid!!
I've had them. BUT, if trained right, they will learn just as much as other dogs. A lot of people will see stupid instead of hyper. And beagles are hyper.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
Master Chef

Both of my beagles have been very smart, actually.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

My in-laws dog is not the brightest, but lucky for us or they woul not have her. She was bred to be a hunting dog, but she was so dumb that she would run the opposite direction from where she was supposed to go. The breeded wanted to get rid of her because she was such a bad hunter. His misfourtune was our gain. She is the sweetest most timid dog I have ever met. She is unlike all the other beagles being described here. She wines a lot to be pet, but I think I have only heard her bark once or twice. She never runs, ever. I have never seen her move faster than a medium paced walk. We love her dearly no matter what.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

get a crate and crate train her, put her in the crate and then take her outside to go--play with her for a while and back in the crate until time to take her to go. I crate trained my HUGE dog and have never had an accident. She still has her crate and goes in there when she wants to some space......I don't think any other training works for going out side.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilly
get a crate and crate train her, put her in the crate and then take her outside to go--play with her for a while and back in the crate until time to take her to go. I crate trained my HUGE dog and have never had an accident. She still has her crate and goes in there when she wants to some space......I don't think any other training works for going out side.
great suggestion
Old 02-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #19
Master Chef

Unless you are willing to get a doggie door. We have had one for 9 years. Everyone of our dogs learned to use it as soon as they were shown where it was. Anytime they piddled in the floor, we yelled no,{or in a loud demanding voice} and put them out the door. We closed the door to them and waited outside with them. When they piddled outside, they were praised. If you will treat them as a child being potted trained, they will learn faster. Take them out as soon as they wake from a nap, about 10 minutes after eating, and so on.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #20
DC Grandma

We have had 7 Beagles at a time. We moved from Florida to California with 5. They are loving dogs but when they get outside their nose goes to ground and off they go if they pick up a scent..rabbit or cat..LOL

We did the Beagle Field Trial Circuit for years..DH is still President of the Sacramento Beagle Club..on paper. The trials require walking all day for 2 or 3 days. We camped out on the trial grounds..loved it but can't do it now.

They do love to run, they do shed.
and like any other breed they can be destructive. It will take patience and training.

On our patio we have a kennel ( purchase at a pet store) My Dove goes on a pea pad in the house and on newspapers in the kennel or a a couple of the blue pads that can be purchased from a pet store. If your daughter is old enough buy her a dust pan with a long handle and a tool that looks like a hoe..I think we bought ours ( again) in the pet store or use a plastic bag and teach her to pick up after her dog..Use the bag like a glove,,her hand goes inside the bag and then picks up the little packages ..
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote