"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
LOL, Marge! I'm afraid I'm going to add $248 to my daughter's $2 to get the puppy! We just found out how much they cost today and she was not a happy camper. We're still going to get it for her just not as soon as we hoped. Oh Barbara! I can't wait for my girl to have her little friend to play with too.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Wow! It took us a whole year to decide on this one. We finally got Amanda her puppy yesterday. It's a liver spotted Dalmation, 8 weeks old and she named her Abby. The happiness and surprise was so great that Amanda cried like a baby (and made me cry too). She had been pleading for a puppy for so long.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
She's beautiful Dina! Congrats on the new family member!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Abby is a doll-baby! All you need is a Budweiser team. See Abby's cousin sitting up there?

Old 02-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #35
Master Chef

Awww..... she's beautiful. We still have yet to finally commit to getting our youngest a dog too. We were going to last year around Easter time but ultimately decided the time wasn't right. I'm seriously considering taking him the dog pound and letting him pick out a little guy. Someones pretty much here all the time now and I don't see that changing.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #36
Master Chef

Sizz, the pound is a great place to get a dog!

This is our baby Mack. We got him a year ago on Valentine's day from the local Animal Shelter, he was 6 months old then & we fell in love with him. If we had've had the money we would have gotten his brother also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42resized2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2493  
Old 02-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #37
Master Chef

We like going to the pet store and I've fallen in love with many adorable puppies but always leave without any in tow because one the cost and two I'd rather save a poor helpless one.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #38
Master Chef

We were the same way Sizz. Mack cost us $70 which covered his shots & being fixed. We couldn't ask for a better dog either, he's a bundle of love & energy!
Old 02-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #39
Head Chef

Beagles have a reputation for "voice" but are wonderful kids' dogs being so sturdy. Any dog can be trained - it's just finding that dog's motivation. The single most important part of any relationship with a dog is exercise as in walks - lots of walks - tired puppys get into much less mischief and walks also help in the leadership arena.

Crate training is a wonderful way to house-break and keep damage at a minimum. Those great Kong toys are for more than just chewing - you can stuff them with peanut butter & other treats and they'll keep a pup busy for quite a while. When he gets really fast at emptying the kong then freeze them to slow him down - also they really help with teething and satisfying his urge to chew.

When you teach a dog tricks - and even basic obedience is a series of tricks - you expand his horizon's and give him more ways to please you which builds his self-confidence. I have a toy poodle and they are considered to be very smart. She loves doing her tricks! Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Sit up (or make yourself pretty), roll over, dance, high five, fetch, sunbathe (where she lays still on her back - I hate the play dead thing) go to: name of person; find (her toys - she knows several of them by name); and even at less than 5 lbs she will go upstairs even in the dark and bring me my slippers one at a time.

Sorry for the long post. Best of luck with your new friend!
Old 02-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Abby cost us $125. If we would have had more cash on us, we would have taken her brother or sister. We are in love with Abby. She's playing and having lots of fun with the kids. We bathe her today, sprayed her so she could smell pretty and she slept like a baby in her bed. Then she woke up hungry and ready to play again. She went for her first walk around the neighborhood. The kids are enjoying her so much. I should have done this a long time ago. Thankfully, we have her now.

Linda,
We have no crate but a tiny washroom with a fench that will work for now. heehee We head back to work and school tomorrow and Abby will be very lonely but we'd rather keep her indoors for safety. I will make time to come and check on her during lunch.