"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #41
Head Chef

Make sure you train the puppy to either go outside to do his thing or if you are keeping him in the house make sure there are plenty of puppy pads for him to go on.

Jolie will be 2 years this coming June 10th and I can't wait until she gets out of her puppy stage. She still weighs 5-1/2 pounds but when she barks it sounds like a very big dog.

Good luck with your little puppy.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #42
Head Chef

Ideally the puppy's space should just be large enough for her to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably - that's what will keep her from soiling her nest and begin the potty training.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #43
Head Chef

Abby is absolutely beautiful. Congrats. Bet you all have heaps of fun with her.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
We were the same way Sizz. Mack cost us $70 which covered his shots & being fixed. We couldn't ask for a better dog either, he's a bundle of love & energy!
I think the fee at our shelter is 74.00 and includes the spay/neuter, shots, etc... now if I was 62 or older I could get it 1/2 that cost. But no matter its still cheaper. By the way your dog is adorable crewsk.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:41 PM   #45
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Dina,

Abby is beautiful! Good luck with the training. Now I'm jealous! My dog Duncan broke his collar and ran away on my birthday in November. I would love to get another puppy, but I would want to wait until summer when I am home all day. I love my kitties and always want to have cats, but I miss having a dog too.

Barbara
Old 02-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thank you. She sure is adorable! She's going for her shots tomorrow and begins training on March 6th for 8 weeks at PetsMart. We are working with the training pads but she still has spills here and there.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #47
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Dina, you puppy is so cute, we had a dalmations years ago, and I also believe in crate training, also its nice to have a place when you leave the house. As long as it is big enough, then do grow !! Just don't miss those short white hairs - lol Abby is percious !
Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 AM   #48
Master Chef

Dina, a beautiful dog you got! Even if she doesn't look very much like a dalmatian right now
You know that Dalmatians are very difficult dogs? They are not really made for dogstarters, but I'm sure you can manage it...
do you join "puppy school", as we call it in G? It's for the yound dogs to train social behavior.. 8 weeks is not that old btw...

I wish you good luck!
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 AM   #49
Sous Chef

i have had dogs my entire life. i am gonna post 2 quotes from others in this thread, and i HIGHLY suggest you follow them to the letter.

1st quote:

get a crate and crate train her, put her in the crate and then take her outside to go--play with her for a while and back in the crate until time to take her to go. I crate trained my HUGE dog and have never had an accident. She still has her crate and goes in there when she wants to some space......I don't think any other training works for going out side.

2nd quote:

Ideally the puppy's space should just be large enough for her to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably - that's what will keep her from soiling her nest and begin the potty training.

listen to those 2 posters...they know what they say. crate that pup IMMEDTATELY!! and get it into puppy training asap.

otherwise...ENJOY and CONGRATS!!!