"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Not much anymore. They are perfect weapons for people to grab onto and there are some things you really don't want your pen to dangle into.

It's just odd that after this many years I'm starting to leave my pen lying around, instead of putting it in my pocket. At least my screwdriver is still in my pocket
Oh, I thought that is where you kept your cattle prod.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Yes!! Bear with me... long story.

As some of you know, I am a hobby winemaker. I recently had an opportunity to buy some frozen Chardonnay juice from a place in Washington. It was very good quality juice, so I ordered 10 gallons of it.

When the juice arrived I thawed it out and transferred the contents into two 6-gallon glass fermenting jars and set them on the kitchen table. I then added yeast and waited for fermentation to begin. Now I would normally do all of this in my winemaking room in the basement, but my wife was out of town for the week, and I thought that since there was no one around to tell me not to do it in the kitchen, that's where I would do it.

Well, a day went by, fermentation started with a vengeance, and the 10 gallons of grape juice is wildly bubbling away. Stupidly (and I say stupidly, because I really DO know better), I decided to stick a long spoon into the jar opening to stir it. For those who don't make wine, I'll go ahead and tell you that you really shouldn't agitate an active fermentation, because it just causes everything to foam up. It's like shaking up a can of soda pop.

But that's what I did. And no sooner had I done so, than I saw it foam up quickly. It foamed up and out the top of the glass container like a sticky grape volcano. I would guess that two gallons foamed out of the top before it stopped. And just like the shaken soda analogy, there really is very little you can do to stop it.

So I ran downstairs to grab a towel, but by the time I got back to the mess, it had foamed all over the kitchen table, and then run onto the very expensive rug under the kitchen table, as well as all the chairs, floor, etc.

It took about 2 hours to clean up the sticky, syrupy mess (wine grapes have about twice as much sugar as table grapes). I've since mopped kitchen floor twice and it STILL feels sticky. On top of that, the bill to clean the rug is expected to run around $60.

Moral of the story: even if your wife isn't around, don't do things that she wouldn't like. It WILL come back to bite you.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

Yeah, I get mad at myself.

When I wake up in the morning in a cranky mood and don't pay attention to my tone of voice. Sometimes, people take things the wrong way.

I have done a load of laundry and forgot the detergent part of it.

My biggest fault is putting things off. I'll wait til the last minute and have a bunch of stuff to do all at once.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Do you ever get mad at yourself? What have you done recently that made you want to kick yourself in your own rear end?
Wow, what a question! Mostly I get angry with my mind! How many times, today alone, have I walked into a room and stood there like a fool, looking around just trying to remember why in the world I went in there!? I need a new brain organization system!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts girl View Post
Wow, what a question! Mostly I get angry with my mind! How many times, today alone, have I walked into a room and stood there like a fool, looking around just trying to remember why in the world I went in there!? I need a new brain organization system!
Welcome to the club My favorite pasttime is wondering what the heck did I come in here for. And guess where I am that's right the pantry
kades
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
Yes!! Bear with me... long story.

As some of you know, I am a hobby winemaker. I recently had an opportunity to buy some frozen Chardonnay juice from a place in Washington. It was very good quality juice, so I ordered 10 gallons of it.

When the juice arrived I thawed it out and transferred the contents into two 6-gallon glass fermenting jars and set them on the kitchen table. I then added yeast and waited for fermentation to begin. Now I would normally do all of this in my winemaking room in the basement, but my wife was out of town for the week, and I thought that since there was no one around to tell me not to do it in the kitchen, that's where I would do it.

Well, a day went by, fermentation started with a vengeance, and the 10 gallons of grape juice is wildly bubbling away. Stupidly (and I say stupidly, because I really DO know better), I decided to stick a long spoon into the jar opening to stir it. For those who don't make wine, I'll go ahead and tell you that you really shouldn't agitate an active fermentation, because it just causes everything to foam up. It's like shaking up a can of soda pop.

But that's what I did. And no sooner had I done so, than I saw it foam up quickly. It foamed up and out the top of the glass container like a sticky grape volcano. I would guess that two gallons foamed out of the top before it stopped. And just like the shaken soda analogy, there really is very little you can do to stop it.

So I ran downstairs to grab a towel, but by the time I got back to the mess, it had foamed all over the kitchen table, and then run onto the very expensive rug under the kitchen table, as well as all the chairs, floor, etc.

It took about 2 hours to clean up the sticky, syrupy mess (wine grapes have about twice as much sugar as table grapes). I've since mopped kitchen floor twice and it STILL feels sticky. On top of that, the bill to clean the rug is expected to run around $60.

Moral of the story: even if your wife isn't around, don't do things that she wouldn't like. It WILL come back to bite you.
Too funny, Steve! Reminds me of Lucy and Ethel at the candy factory!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh, I thought that is where you kept your cattle prod.
Well yes, that too!

You know, I didn't leave my pen anywhere today, anytime I needed it it was back in my pocket. Out of ink, but it was there!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Awhile back, I bought a Black and Decker FP 10c, 2500 model. I moved it to the house in the City, went to use it the other day--missing the center post. Brought that back from the farm, went to use it this morning...couldn't get it to work. Dug out the manual, read everything up to the recipes, went back to try again. Still didn't work, tried again (repeating the assembly steps). Nope...read the manual AGAIN....oh, I need the feed tube piece that locks on...down to the basement, nope, not on the shelf where the FP was. It's out at the farm. Next trip (provided I can find it!). Note to self: when moving stuff, make sure all parts make it on the same trip.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

well i am a bit upset with myself for fainting and causing the kids to get in an uproar. guess i couldn't really control that. however, today my life alert rep. called and told me they have a new machine that can detect a fall. so if you are out of it , it will still call them. getting it tomorrow. only adds fifteen dollars to the bill. sounds like doing something right to me.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd bet we all get mad at ourselves from time to time for doing stupid things. I sure do. Sometimes SO will ask who I am swearing at and it's me. Examples are too numerous to list here (or anywhere else for that matter).