Getting mad at yourself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have several units in our nursing home and I am on a strict schedule of therapy patients. Tuesday I went to the farthest end of the building to put a E-stim unit on a patient only to realize I had forgotten the electropads. (I also probably forgot my pen like PF!)

Quick story about the scrubs that I sometimes wear. I do have a habit of putting everything in the pockets... pens, gloves, measuring tapes... I got home from CVS one day and emptied my pockets. I had put a lipgloss (from the store) in my scrub pocket without even realizing it. I called the store "Um, hello... I sortive stole a lipgloss." "Honestly, I'm too tired to return it tonight, I'll bring it back tomorrow!" :huh:

I stole an avocado last month. I bought it at Fresh 'n Easy and there was some confusion when the clerk keyed in the code to okay my wine purchase. The total looked too low to me but I checked out and went home. Upon arriving home I discovered that the avocado was not on my receipt... Next day I went back and bought another avocado with my other purchases, then on the way out I tossed the avocado back into the bin.

My honesty is not worth $1.79 to me, to lose it. I regret not making a bigger stir when my receipt looked too low.

Last edited:
Merlot said:
We have several units in our nursing home and I am on a strict schedule of therapy patients. Tuesday I went to the farthest end of the building to put a E-stim unit on a patient only to realize I had forgotten the electropads. (I also probably forgot my pen like PF!)

Quick story about the scrubs that I sometimes wear. I do have a habit of putting everything in the pockets... pens, gloves, measuring tapes... I got home from CVS one day and emptied my pockets. I had put a lipgloss (from the store) in my scrub pocket without even realizing it. I called the store "Um, hello... I sortive stole a lipgloss." "Honestly, I'm too tired to return it tonight, I'll bring it back tomorrow!" :huh:

:LOL: We won't tell.

How much is the bounty?

Heh. We'll have to turn you in too, Greg!

Last edited:
I forgot to buy meal tickets at work for my meals over the weekend, so Monday morning I bought a set of 5 for the meals I ate and another five for the meals I would be eating.

Several people told me to just forget it, I said, "No way!" I have to work there, I'm not stealing even if it is a half warm meal from the kitchens. It's not worth losing my job over.

:LOL: We won't tell.

How much is the bounty?

Heh. We'll have to turn you in too, Greg!

:LOL: I went back the next day. They were surprised that I told them. "I'm the girl who called yesterday and sortive stole the lipstick." I'm just glad that darn scanner thing at the door didn't beep when I went out the first day and they may really have thought I had taken it on purpose!

My child took a few candy bars from the store when he was a few years younger (8 now). I don't think he necessarily realized what he had done but I marched him right back in there with them. :) I have honesty on my side if nothing else!

When we'd lived here only a few months, I had a large bag of dog food on the bottom shelf of my grocery cart. Unfortunately, under it was a newspaper. So I went home with a free paper. I was appalled when I realized I hadn't paid for the paper. The next time I went to the store (at the time there was only one grocery store in Galena), I confessed all to the checkout clerk. She asked me if I wanted to pay for it then. YES!

I am a truly bad liar, thief, or cheat. I'm so bad at the former that I don't purposely do the latter. Between a from-birth raising (guilt) and just terribly bad acting ability, it's just easier to 'fess up and take the consequences.

There have been exceptions. Most recently as store that I will not mention its name, screwed with my credit card. Enough to make the company close down my account because it was alerted as possibly being stolen. Then a few days later (call to the credit card company to restore the card) I went to buy a large bottle of vodka ($25 or so), a porch rocker ($60 or so) and a computer desk ($200, give or take). I had the bottle of vodka in my hand, the desk (assemble yourself) on a hand-cart, and the scan code for the porch rocker also in hand. Well the first time the gal rang it up, she asked me for less than $30. Huh, do this again. It should be a lot more. Here is the desk, the rocker is waiting at the loading area. You've only charged me for the vodka. She heaved a heavy sigh and started over (you have to understand, I had a burly employee with me, ready to load it all into my truck). So she did, and I just ran my credit card through, helped the guy load it all into the truck. Got home, looked at the receipt, and she'd charged me for the chair and the vodka, but not the desk.

By this time I was pretty angry at the company, period, just assembled the desk and tell people I stole it.

I don't get mad at myself any more. I spent too many unhappy years in the past that when I retired, I agreed with myself to retire from those feelings too. It's been a lot of work, but I'm getting there.

Serendipity, I couldn't plan to walk out with a (very heavy) desk if I'd wanted to, but I sure wasn't about to go back and pay for it after trying to twice. In reality, I could have walked out with the $25 bottle of vodka and gotten both the desk and rocker for free.

No, I'll never get a car for free! Haha, I really can't do this if I'd planned to do it.

Another time like this, it was the late 70s gas crisis (don't we have them every few years and the gas never seems to go away?). We could only buy gas for our cars three days a week. I had a little sis and a high school friend visiting me in Arlington, and only had so many days off. The first time I had to gas up the old Vega, I sent sis and friend to spend the day in line to gas it up. But when I went to gas it up after they left, after being in line for over an hour, I got there and the attendant (this was before DIY gas stations) was extremely rude to me. I paid him using a $20 bill, and when he handed me the change, it was change for a $50. I started to correct him, but he sneered and walked away. back in those days, that was a lot of money. I just drove away.

I don't get mad at myself any more. I spent too many unhappy years in the past that when I retired, I agreed with myself to retire from those feelings too. It's been a lot of work, but I'm getting there.

I wish I could stop getting mad at myself. I guess mad isn't the word I should have used, maybe better to say frustrated when I do stupid things, or wind up in situations where I should have known better.

Claire- A few years ago I got a $39.50 task chair for my desk & a 2-pkg of correction tape for 99¢ at Office Depot. I had a coupon for $10 off a $40 purchase so I grabbed the correction tape to put it over $40. I also had a 5% off teacher's discount. When she rang all up the computer read the coupon as $40 off any purchase. I told the clerk about it. She rang it up again with same results. She said she couldn't do anything about it, I just got a good deal. Then she tried to sell me a $10 warranty so I would get my money back if it broke before a year was up. I declined. Spend $10 to get 99¢ back. Don't think so.

Love the stories about trying to pay for something and not being able too.

I was mad at myself for allowing my pain to once again get the best of me. I was getting deeply depressed and frustrated with doctors. Today I am starting to feel better. Is the pain gone? No, it never will be....but I gave myself some tough love last night when I couldn't sleep by saying I can either let it get me down or I can use all the tools I have recently learned and gradually do things. I think it is working. :)

Are you unhealthy? Extremely overweight?

well i am 74 and with that goes some conditions, i am diabetic. no not extremely, just about thirty pounds. i do well on a diet for about three months then it all goes to hell. i lost 17 pounds here awhile back and probably gained it all back. just very annoyed with myself.

Back
Top Bottom