"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #21
Sous Chef

We have several units in our nursing home and I am on a strict schedule of therapy patients. Tuesday I went to the farthest end of the building to put a E-stim unit on a patient only to realize I had forgotten the electropads. (I also probably forgot my pen like PF!)

Quick story about the scrubs that I sometimes wear. I do have a habit of putting everything in the pockets... pens, gloves, measuring tapes... I got home from CVS one day and emptied my pockets. I had put a lipgloss (from the store) in my scrub pocket without even realizing it. I called the store "Um, hello... I sortive stole a lipgloss." "Honestly, I'm too tired to return it tonight, I'll bring it back tomorrow!"

Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I stole an avocado last month. I bought it at Fresh 'n Easy and there was some confusion when the clerk keyed in the code to okay my wine purchase. The total looked too low to me but I checked out and went home. Upon arriving home I discovered that the avocado was not on my receipt... Next day I went back and bought another avocado with my other purchases, then on the way out I tossed the avocado back into the bin.

My honesty is not worth $1.79 to me, to lose it. I regret not making a bigger stir when my receipt looked too low.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot
We have several units in our nursing home and I am on a strict schedule of therapy patients. Tuesday I went to the farthest end of the building to put a E-stim unit on a patient only to realize I had forgotten the electropads. (I also probably forgot my pen like PF!)

Quick story about the scrubs that I sometimes wear. I do have a habit of putting everything in the pockets... pens, gloves, measuring tapes... I got home from CVS one day and emptied my pockets. I had put a lipgloss (from the store) in my scrub pocket without even realizing it. I called the store "Um, hello... I sortive stole a lipgloss." "Honestly, I'm too tired to return it tonight, I'll bring it back tomorrow!"
We won't tell.

How much is the bounty?

Heh. We'll have to turn you in too, Greg!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I forgot to buy meal tickets at work for my meals over the weekend, so Monday morning I bought a set of 5 for the meals I ate and another five for the meals I would be eating.

Several people told me to just forget it, I said, "No way!" I have to work there, I'm not stealing even if it is a half warm meal from the kitchens. It's not worth losing my job over.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Not me. When I realized my mistake I bought my honesty back for $1.79, easily worth much more than that. I already turned myself back and it was well worth the price.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We won't tell.

How much is the bounty?

I went back the next day. They were surprised that I told them. "I'm the girl who called yesterday and sortive stole the lipstick." I'm just glad that darn scanner thing at the door didn't beep when I went out the first day and they may really have thought I had taken it on purpose!

My child took a few candy bars from the store when he was a few years younger (8 now). I don't think he necessarily realized what he had done but I marched him right back in there with them. I have honesty on my side if nothing else!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #27
Master Chef

When we'd lived here only a few months, I had a large bag of dog food on the bottom shelf of my grocery cart. Unfortunately, under it was a newspaper. So I went home with a free paper. I was appalled when I realized I hadn't paid for the paper. The next time I went to the store (at the time there was only one grocery store in Galena), I confessed all to the checkout clerk. She asked me if I wanted to pay for it then. YES!

I am a truly bad liar, thief, or cheat. I'm so bad at the former that I don't purposely do the latter. Between a from-birth raising (guilt) and just terribly bad acting ability, it's just easier to 'fess up and take the consequences.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
Master Chef

There have been exceptions. Most recently as store that I will not mention its name, screwed with my credit card. Enough to make the company close down my account because it was alerted as possibly being stolen. Then a few days later (call to the credit card company to restore the card) I went to buy a large bottle of vodka ($25 or so), a porch rocker ($60 or so) and a computer desk ($200, give or take). I had the bottle of vodka in my hand, the desk (assemble yourself) on a hand-cart, and the scan code for the porch rocker also in hand. Well the first time the gal rang it up, she asked me for less than $30. Huh, do this again. It should be a lot more. Here is the desk, the rocker is waiting at the loading area. You've only charged me for the vodka. She heaved a heavy sigh and started over (you have to understand, I had a burly employee with me, ready to load it all into my truck). So she did, and I just ran my credit card through, helped the guy load it all into the truck. Got home, looked at the receipt, and she'd charged me for the chair and the vodka, but not the desk.

By this time I was pretty angry at the company, period, just assembled the desk and tell people I stole it.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't get mad at myself any more. I spent too many unhappy years in the past that when I retired, I agreed with myself to retire from those feelings too. It's been a lot of work, but I'm getting there.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
By this time I was pretty angry at the company, period, just assembled the desk and tell people I stole it.
Would you mind getting me a car? You have a gift!