Getting mad at yourself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Do you ever get mad at yourself? What have you done recently that made you want to kick yourself in your own rear end?

My latest was having a friend over, who stayed over. and over ... and ..... well, I don't regret inviting him, but I want to kick myself for not really thinking out the problem. That is to say, I'd been planning a cookout for supper for .. well, over a month. I'd been called to help with my parents, so threw the meat in the freezer. We've been home for a few weeks (feels like a few months, but forget that weddings and funeral movie, we've done the opposite), and finally had the time to throw the (now thawed) steaks on the grill.

You know why I'm mad at myself? They were two huge porterhouses, and could easily feed the three of us with meat leftover. Why didn't it occur to me to just do it? Duh.

Yes. Making a dozen dishes for a big dinner and forgetting to put one of them out.

Having bought and wrapped Christmas presents and then realizing in May that you forgot to give one of them, you find it hidden in the closet, don't know what it is anymore.

Claire,yes Ive done that many,many times.A lot lately. Yesterday I ruined two of the dishes I was making for the family. Then one of the kids refused to eat them He gave me the I don't like them that way business, I could have kicked my self in the fanny and stomped off cried and gave the rest of the day trying to make up for being grumpy to him. So I guess we all have those kinds of days.
kades

Last edited:
Oh boy! Daily! For some reason, lately, I've been leaving my pen on the desk and wandering off to other units. I get there and have nothing to write with. Trust me, lack of writing utensils is chronic for nurses.

Oh boy! Daily! For some reason, lately, I've been leaving my pen on the desk and wandering off to other units. I get there and have nothing to write with. Trust me, lack of writing utensils is chronic for nurses.
What do you need pens for when you have needles! :evil:

(Get it? Needles and pins? ;))

PrincessFiona60 said:
Because no one will let me chart in their blood...

Lol, those pesky patients never want to share their blood.

I get irritated with myself all the time, especially if I don't get enough sleep or the ADD kicks into overdrive. I end up doing so many scatter-brained/stupid things on those days. Or every once in a while I'll have an "everything I say comes out wrong and makes me look like an equine's derriere" day.

When I worked for a vet (OK, I don't pretend dogs, cats, mice, etc, are humans!) we all had cords with magnetic pens round our necks, over our scrubs. Do they still make them?

When I worked for a vet (OK, I don't pretend dogs, cats, mice, etc, are humans!) we all had cords with magnetic pens round our necks, over our scrubs. Do they still make them?

Not much anymore. They are perfect weapons for people to grab onto and there are some things you really don't want your pen to dangle into.

It's just odd that after this many years I'm starting to leave my pen lying around, instead of putting it in my pocket. At least my screwdriver is still in my pocket:rolleyes:

Not much anymore. They are perfect weapons for people to grab onto and there are some things you really don't want your pen to dangle into.

It's just odd that after this many years I'm starting to leave my pen lying around, instead of putting it in my pocket. At least my screwdriver is still in my pocket:rolleyes:
Oh, I thought that is where you kept your cattle prod.:LOL:

Yes!! Bear with me... long story.

As some of you know, I am a hobby winemaker. I recently had an opportunity to buy some frozen Chardonnay juice from a place in Washington. It was very good quality juice, so I ordered 10 gallons of it.

When the juice arrived I thawed it out and transferred the contents into two 6-gallon glass fermenting jars and set them on the kitchen table. I then added yeast and waited for fermentation to begin. Now I would normally do all of this in my winemaking room in the basement, but my wife was out of town for the week, and I thought that since there was no one around to tell me not to do it in the kitchen, that's where I would do it.

Well, a day went by, fermentation started with a vengeance, and the 10 gallons of grape juice is wildly bubbling away. Stupidly (and I say stupidly, because I really DO know better), I decided to stick a long spoon into the jar opening to stir it. For those who don't make wine, I'll go ahead and tell you that you really shouldn't agitate an active fermentation, because it just causes everything to foam up. It's like shaking up a can of soda pop.

But that's what I did. And no sooner had I done so, than I saw it foam up quickly. It foamed up and out the top of the glass container like a sticky grape volcano. I would guess that two gallons foamed out of the top before it stopped. And just like the shaken soda analogy, there really is very little you can do to stop it.

So I ran downstairs to grab a towel, but by the time I got back to the mess, it had foamed all over the kitchen table, and then run onto the very expensive rug under the kitchen table, as well as all the chairs, floor, etc.

It took about 2 hours to clean up the sticky, syrupy mess (wine grapes have about twice as much sugar as table grapes). I've since mopped kitchen floor twice and it STILL feels sticky. On top of that, the bill to clean the rug is expected to run around $60. :eek:

Moral of the story: even if your wife isn't around, don't do things that she wouldn't like. It WILL come back to bite you. :glare:

Yeah, I get mad at myself.

When I wake up in the morning in a cranky mood and don't pay attention to my tone of voice. Sometimes, people take things the wrong way.

I have done a load of laundry and forgot the detergent part of it.

My biggest fault is putting things off. I'll wait til the last minute and have a bunch of stuff to do all at once.

Do you ever get mad at yourself? What have you done recently that made you want to kick yourself in your own rear end?

Wow, what a question! Mostly I get angry with my mind! How many times, today alone, have I walked into a room and stood there like a fool, looking around just trying to remember why in the world I went in there!? :wacko: I need a new brain organization system!

Wow, what a question! Mostly I get angry with my mind! How many times, today alone, have I walked into a room and stood there like a fool, looking around just trying to remember why in the world I went in there!? :wacko: I need a new brain organization system!
Welcome to the club:LOL: My favorite pasttime is wondering what the heck did I come in here for. And guess where I am that's right the pantry:ROFLMAO:
kades

Steve Kroll said:
Yes!! Bear with me... long story.

As some of you know, I am a hobby winemaker. I recently had an opportunity to buy some frozen Chardonnay juice from a place in Washington. It was very good quality juice, so I ordered 10 gallons of it.

When the juice arrived I thawed it out and transferred the contents into two 6-gallon glass fermenting jars and set them on the kitchen table. I then added yeast and waited for fermentation to begin. Now I would normally do all of this in my winemaking room in the basement, but my wife was out of town for the week, and I thought that since there was no one around to tell me not to do it in the kitchen, that's where I would do it.

Well, a day went by, fermentation started with a vengeance, and the 10 gallons of grape juice is wildly bubbling away. Stupidly (and I say stupidly, because I really DO know better), I decided to stick a long spoon into the jar opening to stir it. For those who don't make wine, I'll go ahead and tell you that you really shouldn't agitate an active fermentation, because it just causes everything to foam up. It's like shaking up a can of soda pop.

But that's what I did. And no sooner had I done so, than I saw it foam up quickly. It foamed up and out the top of the glass container like a sticky grape volcano. I would guess that two gallons foamed out of the top before it stopped. And just like the shaken soda analogy, there really is very little you can do to stop it.

So I ran downstairs to grab a towel, but by the time I got back to the mess, it had foamed all over the kitchen table, and then run onto the very expensive rug under the kitchen table, as well as all the chairs, floor, etc.

It took about 2 hours to clean up the sticky, syrupy mess (wine grapes have about twice as much sugar as table grapes). I've since mopped kitchen floor twice and it STILL feels sticky. On top of that, the bill to clean the rug is expected to run around $60. :eek:

Moral of the story: even if your wife isn't around, don't do things that she wouldn't like. It WILL come back to bite you. :glare:

:ROFLMAO: Too funny, Steve! Reminds me of Lucy and Ethel at the candy factory!

Awhile back, I bought a Black and Decker FP 10c, 2500 model. I moved it to the house in the City, went to use it the other day--missing the center post. Brought that back from the farm, went to use it this morning...couldn't get it to work. Dug out the manual, read everything up to the recipes, went back to try again. Still didn't work, tried again (repeating the assembly steps). Nope...read the manual AGAIN....oh, I need the feed tube piece that locks on...down to the basement, nope, not on the shelf where the FP was. It's out at the farm. Next trip (provided I can find it!). Note to self: when moving stuff, make sure all parts make it on the same trip.

well i am a bit upset with myself for fainting and causing the kids to get in an uproar. guess i couldn't really control that. however, today my life alert rep. called and told me they have a new machine that can detect a fall. so if you are out of it , it will still call them. getting it tomorrow. only adds fifteen dollars to the bill. sounds like doing something right to me.

I'd bet we all get mad at ourselves from time to time for doing stupid things. I sure do. Sometimes SO will ask who I am swearing at and it's me. Examples are too numerous to list here (or anywhere else for that matter).

Back
Top Bottom