"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Getting ready for the blizzard...

We got an email and a phone call from the electric company say we could expect to lose power for up to 3 days, lol!!!! So Today I checked the propane levels {Thankfully I have plenty, not that I could get a delivery today if I was low}, ran the generators through their test modes, we have a 24KW and a 13KW genny so losing power is seamless, the lights never even flicker when the power goes out, it just kicks on the genny it needs and uses propane... But they are not without issues, since they hardly get used when you do go to use them that is when you find an issue. So I have another gasoline unit that I can plug in incase that system goes down... It won't take long for my house to be an ice cube if the power goes out and its 10 degrees outside...

Anyway, I tested and checked that all out, seems A OK, so I made a 8 pizzas because if the power does go out I am going to have all of or nearby friends and family over here, like every time the power goes out, lol.. Plus if the power goes down I dont like running my ovens on genny power, I can just toaster oven some slices up and eat pizza till the power comes back on...

Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Master Chef
WOW, you're all set! I know it must be very scary for others less fortunate.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
WOW, you're all set! I know it must be very scary for others less fortunate.
Hopefully, anyone with out a genny is turning their heat way up, filling their tubs with water, to flush toilets with {if they have a well or electric pump}, bottling some drinking water, and have some food that they can just open and eat. There are a few families from our church that didnt have generators and we figured something out for everyone that asked, also me and my 2 boys will be out after its all cleared up plowing out our list of people who can't afford a plower and or shovel themselves out.
One women who just signed up is only about 1.5 miles from me and she is 96 years old, said she shoveled it herself last year, but this year her hip has been bothering her!!!!!!! 96!!!!! I called her a few hours ago and told her that I am just a phone call away if she needs anything and she is welcome to come here if her power goes out {its scary hooking up a genny to someone almost 10 years olds house}... We can get around pretty good I have a duramax crew cab with a plow, a rubicon unlimited that I have never gotten stuck and had it in way past the fenders, and if all else fails a pair of Yamaha Viking Pros that are made for the snow...

Good luck to everyone in this storms path, I hope it isn't as bad as they are saying, but as my grandfather used to say, "pray for the best but plan for the worst"...
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote