"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
Master Chef
Getting tired of cooking

Does anyone out there just get tired of it? This only happens to me every year or so. Actually now that I think of it, about this time of year. Last week someone I know laughed at my very full grocery basket. Then I realized that this guy (and many of my other friends) simply don't do it. I'm shopping for about 20 meals a week for two, plus the extra fruit because my husband is staving off diabetes by being religious about carb intake (seriously, I used to be the only one in the house eating fresh fruit). Fresh being a relative theory, given that we live in the north and there is not truly one darned thing that is fresh, and there won't be for a couple of months. But I'm tired of coming up with new salads, well, maybe just tired. I've found myself this week buying some convenience foods I normally wouldn't. In my heart of hearts, I know that in another few weeks I'll be ready to experiment with new recipes, and someone just gave me 2 lbs of ground venison I have to get some imagination to use. And I'll enjoy it, I really will. But what do you do when you enter the cooking doldrums?

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
I think most of us get in a rut from time to time. I know I go through periods when I don't feel creative and cook meals only because I have to. During these times, take out is your friend.

As you said, it always passes.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
I make soup.

Something that's a favorite and something that I can eat for a week. That way, I don't have to cook. That's probably not going to work, but it's what I do.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
I think we all get bored and fall back and recipes we can just throw together..That is when I come here and dig and ask and read as much as possible..I haunt the what's for dinner threads seeing what others are doing. I never fail to come up with something that looks and sounds great.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Sometimes I'd rather not eat than have to cook a meal. Unfortunately dh isn't in the same mood at the same time. But sometimes he does surprise me by asking if I'd like breakfast for dinner (breakfast being the only meal he can cook) especially if it is getting close to meal time with no preparation visible. Then sometimes I just want to cook and cook and cook. Those times don't come as often as when the kids were home and more adventurous in their palate than dh.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Senior Cook
I know those doldrums very well. I usually either buy a new cook book or cooking magazine or search the web for new recipes. I get re-interested (not a word, I know) as I'm flipping through the web or paper pages.
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Senior Cook
The cooking doldrums hit me every once in a while. It's usually when I have been continuously cooking all the tried-and-true dishes that I know are going to come out right, no challenge/creativity there. So, just trying something new brings me back to life in the kitchen, especially when it involves seafood.
Cooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Honey Badger
You aren't alone.I get tired of it to.
If it helps helps ya.I read this somewhere..

"This world can get by without some people in it,but it can't get by without the cook!"

Next time someone laughs at your cart (Snoopy shoppers anyways) Just say with a roll of the eyes "Teenagers!!!" They know... :)

Take care,

If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Master Chef
Sometimes buying a new cookbook helps.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Master Chef
i cook at school so i'm not much of a cook at my place. jake & i share the work when i'm tired of cooking dinner. or we order food, chinese or we go to the local pizza joints.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote