"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Ghetta

Does anyone have recipe for Ghetta using beef shoulder and pork butt shoulder plus most important barley? My brothers seem to be wanting some of this and I will not admit that "I don't know". Isn't this terrible, to try to be so smart with your brothers? Just don't want them to tell me how dumb I am, again! Oh, thanks

Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Try this recipe.

It's spelled a couple of different ways. getta, goetta, etc. I found this with a google search. You probably could find a lot more.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I had never heard of this, but it sounds good. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Try this recipe.

It's spelled a couple of different ways. getta, goetta, etc. I found this with a google search. You probably could find a lot more.
You are right, Andy. I do try other sites after this as I feel maybe someone has made this recently and has got special spices. I have seen one in magazine but did I copy it? No. Now I don't know what made them even think of this? Probably because barley is supposedly good for you as with oats.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Master Chef

I don't know, maybe if it was rice, it would be ok. But just a sheer thought of barely makes me sick. For 2 years straight in the russian army a ate barely, at least once a day. Yuk.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I don't know, maybe if it was rice, it would be ok. But just a sheer thought of barely makes me sick. For 2 years straight in the russian army a ate barely, at least once a day. Yuk.
How is your health, CharlieD? Guess you got more than enough all at once. Russian army? what area was this located?

didn't mean to upset you.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Head Chef

As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetta
And his mama cries
'cause if there's one thing that she don't need
it's another hungry mouth to feed
In the ghetta

HA!...LOL... I kill me.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
How is your health, CharlieD? Guess you got more than enough all at once. Russian army? what area was this located?

didn't mean to upset you.
No-no, you did not upset me at all. All together what I said was probably oftopick any way. My health has not improved one little bit after eating that much barely. And as far as where I was stationed, I have to say I was really - really lucky. The base was located in downtown of Riga. Compare to swamps of Belarussia or woods of Siberia this was a vacation.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
No-no, you did not upset me at all. All together what I said was probably oftopick any way. My health has not improved one little bit after eating that much barely. And as far as where I was stationed, I have to say I was really - really lucky. The base was located in downtown of Riga. Compare to swamps of Belarussia or woods of Siberia this was a vacation.
Quote:
I feel you TRY to look at the better side if there is one. I do know that one would certainly not desire to eat at all if they HAD to eat everyday. Just like when I question people about working in bakery, wine counter, deli, etc. all tell me the same thing, I would not even desire to eat anything if I had to work around it everyday.

I do admit that when my mother was young she had to do a lot of making do. Hence, she often fixed this 'ghetta'. She never had to fix everyday. Other than ghetta she fixed lot of cornbread and gravy and polenta. Wonder how people would feel if they had to make do? I always seem to have everything available when I want to fix something. This country is truly blessed compared to others.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm having a hard time subbing the oats for barley in the recipe. I don't think they work. The oats, (especially steel cut) sound great. Anyone else?