Ghetta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone have recipe for Ghetta using beef shoulder and pork butt shoulder plus most important barley? My brothers seem to be wanting some of this and I will not admit that "I don't know". Isn't this terrible, to try to be so smart with your brothers? Just don't want them to tell me how dumb I am, again! Oh, thanks

Try this recipe.

It's spelled a couple of different ways. getta, goetta, etc. I found this with a google search. You probably could find a lot more.

Try this recipe.

It's spelled a couple of different ways. getta, goetta, etc. I found this with a google search. You probably could find a lot more.

You are right, Andy. I do try other sites after this as I feel maybe someone has made this recently and has got special spices. I have seen one in magazine but did I copy it? No. Now I don't know what made them even think of this? Probably because barley is supposedly good for you as with oats.

I don't know, maybe if it was rice, it would be ok. But just a sheer thought of barely makes me sick. For 2 years straight in the russian army a ate barely, at least once a day. Yuk.

I don't know, maybe if it was rice, it would be ok. But just a sheer thought of barely makes me sick. For 2 years straight in the russian army a ate barely, at least once a day. Yuk.

How is your health, CharlieD? Guess you got more than enough all at once. Russian army? what area was this located?

didn't mean to upset you.

As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetta
And his mama cries
'cause if there's one thing that she don't need
it's another hungry mouth to feed
In the ghetta

HA!...LOL... I kill me. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

How is your health, CharlieD? Guess you got more than enough all at once. Russian army? what area was this located?

didn't mean to upset you.

No-no, you did not upset me at all. All together what I said was probably oftopick any way. My health has not improved one little bit after eating that much barely. :LOL: And as far as where I was stationed, I have to say I was really - really lucky. The base was located in downtown of Riga. Compare to swamps of Belarussia or woods of Siberia this was a vacation.

No-no, you did not upset me at all. All together what I said was probably oftopick any way. My health has not improved one little bit after eating that much barely. :LOL: And as far as where I was stationed, I have to say I was really - really lucky. The base was located in downtown of Riga. Compare to swamps of Belarussia or woods of Siberia this was a vacation.

I feel you TRY to look at the better side if there is one. I do know that one would certainly not desire to eat at all if they HAD to eat everyday. Just like when I question people about working in bakery, wine counter, deli, etc. all tell me the same thing, I would not even desire to eat anything if I had to work around it everyday.

I do admit that when my mother was young she had to do a lot of making do. Hence, she often fixed this 'ghetta'. She never had to fix everyday. Other than ghetta she fixed lot of cornbread and gravy and polenta. Wonder how people would feel if they had to make do? I always seem to have everything available when I want to fix something. This country is truly blessed compared to others.

I'm having a hard time subbing the oats for barley in the recipe. I don't think they work. The oats, (especially steel cut) sound great. Anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom