Ghost Stories and Weird Happenings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
If you have a ghost story (Princess Fiona, please, I'm dying to hear yours!) or if something strange happened to you, please post your experiences here.

I have a couple of weird things that have happened to me, but this one is sort of cool:

I worked grave at a 7-11 and one night at about 3am, I was relaxing on the front counter reading a magazine. Everything was done, floors were clean, cooler stocked, groceries ordered, etc.

Now usually I always have thoughts that whirl around in my head but for some reason that night my "brain chatter" was quiet. But out of nowhere, in my head I clearly heard someone say, "I'm watching you."

I looked up, no one around. I figured it was just me imagining things, so I went back to reading. Then in my head again I heard as clear as day, "I'm still watching you."

Since our counter was right in front of the large front window and I was in full view of anyone outside, I was spooked enough to slam that magazine down and then make a full circle around the store and the parking lot. As I went around the front side of the parking lot, I saw a police car parked at the gas station across the street, which was closed.

I knew all of the cops in town because they always stopped in for coffee during their shifts. So I figured it was someone I knew and I waved at him and went back in the store.

I never did find out who was in the police car that night and if he (I'm positive it was a he) was the one "watching" me. If so, it must have given him a heck of a turn if he said or thought "I'm watching you" and I had an immediate reaction to it both times.

Last edited:
In the last place I worked we had several of the ladies report a little boy hanging around and rummaging in their night stand drawers. Most of these ladies had early signs of dementia and none of them were in the facility at the same time. I did some research about the site the facility was on and could never find any children mentioned who lived on the grounds.

In the late 70's, I was a woman Marine stationed at Camp Smith, Hawaii. The base is on top of a mountain and is dubbed "Camp Cloud" as the clouds literally run through the base. I was a chef and was working the mid rats shift (a midnight meal for those working overnights). I was the only one in the dining facility until the meal as there were only 25 overnight workers and no big meals needed to be made. The doors were locked until the meal and the only person that could access was the OD (officer of the day) who might pop in to see what was cooking. I would often hear a man and a woman whispering...I could catch a word or two but never the whole conversation. I figured it was the OD and someone with him (or her) but no one was ever there.
The first night I ever did the shift...at the end of the night, I would shut all the lights and right before walking out and locking the doors, I would stop by the soda machine and get myself a soda for the road. That first night, after getting my soda, I heard a chair scraping the floor and banging against the table in a partitioned area reserved for NCOs (non commissioned officers). I was pissed as I nearly locked the person in and the meal had been over for an hour...they shouldn't have been there. I go to the partitioned area and no one is there. This happens EVERY night I work, right after I get my soda and am heading out the door and there is never anyone there. Now I am pregnant with my first child and I'm having visions of Rosemary's Baby, so I tell my husband (also a Marine who works days), and he comes with me one night. I go through my routine...we wait by the soda machine...and nothing happens. We start walking out the door and BOOM, we hear the chair banging against the table.
Although he lost a lot of sleep, my husband never left me alone in there again and after the baby was born I switched to days.
Now there were a lot of other creepy things that happened in that dining facility, but as I told my husband...that "chair banger" never scared me....in fact I felt protected by it's presence from the other creepy things and voices that were there. I wondered if it was the spirit of an NCO protecting me.
I'm told that before it became a Marine base, Camp Smith was a hospital and during Pearl Harbor, they had so many dead bodies that many were stored in the reefers (large walk in refrigerators) in the dining facility. Many people that worked there have had unusual experiences...and there were other scary strange things that happened on other areas of the base as well. I have no desire to ever go to Hawaii again...

Last edited:
"Did you hear that!" "What was that"?!!

"Did you see that"???!

"I didn't, but you did"?

"Whatever it was, it was weird"!

"Wait"! "It's back" !

"WTH is that"???!!!

It's an upcoming reality show.

"Haunted North pole".

Last edited:
We have several other people living with us. There is a little boy that plays with Jasper. Not so much anymore but use to all the time. I've seen him a couple times. My wife has seen him a bunch of times. Our bedroom is actually in what they use to call the "parlor" so its next to the dining room. I woke up to her yelling at Jasper to get to bed in the middle of the night. She get up to tuck him in and he was sound asleep. Now she just yells at him to get to bed and the little boy runs away.

When my teen age son was staying with us he was out late with friends. He is 18. When he came in around midnight he went up to go to bed. The upstairs door is next to our bedroom door. My wife woke up and swore she seen a girl with him. She went up to check and went out to see if another vehicle was here.

When my daughter was little like Jaspers age and younger she use to play with the woman in the closet. That was Jozelyns name for her not ours. We think it was my first wifes grandmother that passed away before she was born. One day she asked Brandi ( my first wife) when grandma died did you put her in the ground? She said yes. Jozelyn got mad and yelled no you didn't you burned her! Thats true because she was cremated. How a 2 year old knows anything about that is beyond me.

I actually had a physical encounter with a female spirit. After the divorce and before I met my second wife in person we would often talk on the phone until we fell asleep. I was in bed with tv on and kinda in the twilight sleep but we were still talking. I felt hot air on my ear and a kiss on my cheek. It felt so wet. I saw a thin woman with long dark hair out of the corner of my eye. When I looked she was gone. Freaked me out. Jen on the phone had no idea what was going on.

There are shadow people all over this farm. When I'm working by myself I see them. Not so much anymore but it use to be really bad. I assume it was my bosses mother that past away before I got here. People said she use keep a close eye on the hired hands to make sure they went slacking. After Roland passed. (bosses dad) the sightings increased. So I started talking to them. I would be doing something and see a figure off maybe 15 feet away. I would just keep doing what I was doing without looking up so I still see them. I say hey Rollie how you doing today? One day I was having a bad day anyway and I seen him. I yelled out Rollie you don't have to follow me every where. They pretty much stopped now except for every once in a while.

Last edited:
When I first got my nursing license I was working on the "End-of-Life" unit. I took care of a wonderful woman who was dying and her husband (JW) came in every day to sit with her. The night she died, he and I sat by her side and I held him as he cried when she breathed her last.

Over the next few years JW came in and out of the facility, this, that and the other happened to him and eventually he came for his last visit. The night he died, I was standing in his room, just looking at him (don't know why I felt compelled to do this) when I felt and saw out of the corner of my eye someone come in and stand next to me. I thought it was my nurses assistant, but when I looked no one was there.

I sat next to him and held his hand, I felt all my hair stand on end (in a good way) and a hand on my head as he took his last breath. I finally understood that his wife, my first patient to die, was there to greet him and take him from my care. They loved each other so much.

More stories later...I need some sleep.

Oooh, I'm going to enjoy this thread. I love reading ghost stories. I don't believe in ghosts, but I'm addicted to ghost stories nonetheless. I think because for years I believed I had seen the ghost of my grandfather when I was a child, and my mother was convinced I had, too. Eventually I realized it was just a dream, but it is still a really great "memory" of him. Our minds are wonderfully complex machines; I can't help but wonder how it creates these experiences. Then again, maybe knowing ruins the fun!

Over in the Mattapan part of Boston, used to be a mental hospital that has since been rehabbed to apartments for elderly. The building is now a storage building for the City government supplies. The elderly were spooked out when some of the former patients kept showing up. And they weren't the live ones.

What no one thought of telling the living residents is that there has never been a report of any live person being harmed by the ghostly visitors.

I have never heard of anyone being hurt by a ghostly friend. Ann Bolyn is often seen wandering headless and with her head, the halls of her former home. Yet there are no stories of anyone being harmed by her. There are stories galore of battle sites of the Civil War being haunted. And some of the old antebellum homes have nightly visitors. No harm done in those places also.

Just make a friend of them. Ask them to tell you their story.

Enjoy knowing your grandfather did visit you in your dreams...it's one of the easiest ways for spirits to communicate because you are completely open to it. Usually the dreams will be more vivid than your regular dreams. I've only had one visitor, my Mom...but in the dream she referenced something that happened to my sister who lives a few towns over and my brother who lives in Arizona that very same day...I think it was her way of letting us know she was nearby. We were all amazed by it and were comforted by it. When my Dad died, my brother was still in Arizona. He called to say he had a dream of my Dad. In the dream they were sitting back to back on the bed, my Dad leaning on him for support. He had no way of knowing that right before my Dad died, in heart failure (he died at home as did Mom) he would get short of breath and need to sit up. Mom and I would take shifts sleeping in the bed as he was up several times a night and it would have been impossible for one person to deal with it. When he would get short of breath, he would sit at the edge of the bed and I would sit behind him back to back so he could lean on me and still be able to sit up. Sometimes it would be an hour or longer, so standing in front of him, holding him up would be exhausting so the back to back position was easier to deal with. I had never told anyone about it until my brother told me about the dream.

When I first got my nursing license I was working on the "End-of-Life" unit. I took care of a wonderful woman who was dying and her husband (JW) came in every day to sit with her. The night she died, he and I sat by her side and I held him as he cried when she breathed her last.

Over the next few years JW came in and out of the facility, this, that and the other happened to him and eventually he came for his last visit. The night he died, I was standing in his room, just looking at him (don't know why I felt compelled to do this) when I felt and saw out of the corner of my eye someone come in and stand next to me. I thought it was my nurses assistant, but when I looked no one was there.

I sat next to him and held his hand, I felt all my hair stand on end (in a good way) and a hand on my head as he took his last breath. I finally understood that his wife, my first patient to die, was there to greet him and take him from my care. They loved each other so much.

More stories later...I need some sleep.

After all my creepy experiences in Hawaii, a friend who it turns out was very gifted but never told anyone, explained to me that you cannot look directly at an apparition. That is why most people see them out of the corner of their eye or in a mirror or as a reflection in glass. Once I knew that I was able to see apparitions in more detail...not sure I was glad I learned about it though...

Over in the Mattapan part of Boston, used to be a mental hospital that has since been rehabbed to apartments for elderly. The building is now a storage building for the City government supplies. The elderly were spooked out when some of the former patients kept showing up. And they weren't the live ones.

What no one thought of telling the living residents is that there has never been a report of any live person being harmed by the ghostly visitors.

I have never heard of anyone being hurt by a ghostly friend. Ann Bolyn is often seen wandering headless and with her head, the halls of her former home. Yet there are no stories of anyone being harmed by her. There are stories galore of battle sites of the Civil War being haunted. And some of the old antebellum homes have nightly visitors. No harm done in those places also.

Just make a friend of them. Ask them to tell you their story.
I wish it were true that spirits cannot harm...or maybe the ones that harm are not spirits but demons if you subscribe to that sort of thing. One of the cooks I worked with in Hawaii was a bit on the lazy side and would try to find a corner in the dining facility where no one would find him and take a nap. He claims (and I believe him because he was scared out of his wits) that while taking one of his naps, he felt a pressure on his chest that was getting heavier and heavier and he was losing his breath. He opened his eyes and saw a black mist hovering over him. Not knowing what else to do, he started reciting the Lord's Prayer and it ceased. I never saw him disappear for a nap after that.
Maybe seven years later, I am sleeping in my bed and awoken by the most ungodly sound of screeching I have ever heard (I'm now convinced it was probably raccoons fighting). I got up to look out the window, but saw nothing and the sound stopped. Went back to bed and all of a sudden, felt the heaviest crushing feeling on my chest and I couldn't breathe. I thought I was gonna die. I looked up and there was a black cloud hovering over me. I don't know if I remembered the story about Cy and his encounter, or just did it for lack of knowing what else to do, but I started the Lord's Prayer and it stopped. Now I don't live in an old house, my Dad had it built in 1976. I do know that at one time it was Indian land and neighbors say our property is on holy ground but I never researched it to see if it were true. But there are parts of the property (3 acres of wooded land) that make my hair stand up after dark and I won't go near it once the sun goes down. A few harmless odd things occur in the house...musical battery powered toys of my grandson that start playing in the middle of the night when he's not even here...this past Friday he came over and wanted to watch YouTube and I told him no...less then a minute later the living room TV turn on with YouTube channel playing...we were the only ones in the house and both in the kitchen...he's four years old. He doesn't like going into the bedroom areas alone as he tells me he has seen ghosts...normally I wouldn't give it any credence but he came running into the kitchen so terrified I asked him for details. Was it a girl ghost or a boy ghost? "A boy ghost bubbe", Was he happy or angry? "He was angry bubbe", What color was he? "He was brown bubbe and he had on underwear". I had to wonder if my grandson saw the spirit of an indian. He hasn't seen anything since, we talked about faith and the protection we get from it and that we have more power than they do. I make sure to respect the property I live on in case it is the holy ground the old timers here claim and I don't fear anything here. But I do believe there can come harm from some unknown sources out there. But I also believe they gain power from fear, if there is no fear, there is no power.

As some of you may know, I recently bought a 90+ year old house in central Minnesota. A few months ago I was talking with the city council concerning my plans to build a garage on the property.

One day, I received a call from the city engineer, who wanted to make sure I was aware of water lines running near where the construction was taking place. After our business was concluded, he asked "So have you heard the stories about your house?"

"Stories?"

"I probably shouldn't say anything," he continued, "but back about twenty or so years ago your house was featured on an A&E show about haunted houses."

He went on to tell me that apparently two small children had died in the house back in the 1930s (he didn't know how they died, other than it was accidental) and that the funeral was held in the parlor, which is now my living room. Supposedly, as the story goes, sometimes you can hear small children running through the house and laughing. :ohmy:

I don't know if he was full of it, but I haven't found any reference to this television program or the children that supposedly died. But the gal who lives across the street also said she had heard stories while growing up in this town.

In any case, I've lived in the house for 10 months now. No ghosts that I've seen or heard. But then again I'm not much of a believer in the supernatural... and I sleep pretty soundly at night, so it would take a lot oto wake me. ;)

welp.... now I know which thread NOT to open before bed time... :wacko:

Ross

No kidding, as I was drifting off thinking of my next story to tell, the baby squirrels began a game of walnut hockey on the deck roof scaring the stuffing out of me.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had posted this in another thread, so I just copied and pasted.

DD and I both have had some odd experiences. Craig's oldest brother had a big, bold personality. He stayed with me and Craig for a while after a hurricane destroyed his home. After he passed, DD and her family lived in the home he purchased after the hurricane for a year or so. We both had experiences when the houses were quiet - odd noises, seeing movement in the corner of our eyes, feeling of being watched sometimes - where we thought he was in the respective houses with us, nothing malevolent, just going about daily living. Don't think it was a ghost, just maybe a psychic imprint? We both thought we were going crazy until she brought it up to me 1 day and we started comparing notes. Don't know what it was, but it was definitely something and eventually faded away.

I was at my best friends house in jr high and we were talking about nothing in particular (probably boys!) when all of a sudden I felt this crushing on my chest and I said her name and she said I know... we started screaming for her mom, when the mom came in the room it just felt like a release and we both started bawling. I never saw anything but I felt something and she did too.

Enjoy knowing your grandfather did visit you in your dreams...it's one of the easiest ways for spirits to communicate because you are completely open to it. Usually the dreams will be more vivid than your regular dreams.

No, he didn't. He is dead and gone, and only his memory remains. I understand how people can believe ghosts are real, and I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of their belief, but until someone can show me some solid proof, I am unable to believe in ghosts/spirits/etc. No matter what things he might have said that I "couldn't" have known otherwise, or how real it felt, it was just a dream. A very nice dream, but nothing more. It was obviously based on some wonderful memories, and I enjoy that.

No, he didn't. He is dead and gone, and only his memory remains. I understand how people can believe ghosts are real, and I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of their belief, but until someone can show me some solid proof, I am unable to believe in ghosts/spirits/etc. No matter what things he might have said that I "couldn't" have known otherwise, or how real it felt, it was just a dream. A very nice dream, but nothing more. It was obviously based on some wonderful memories, and I enjoy that.

My apologies if I upset you, that wasn't my intent.

As some of you may know, I recently bought a 90+ year old house in central Minnesota. A few months ago I was talking with the city council concerning my plans to build a garage on the property.

One day, I received a call from the city engineer, who wanted to make sure I was aware of water lines running near where the construction was taking place. After our business was concluded, he asked "So have you heard the stories about your house?"

"Stories?"

"I probably shouldn't say anything," he continued, "but back about twenty or so years ago your house was featured on an A&E show about haunted houses."

He went on to tell me that apparently two small children had died in the house back in the 1930s (he didn't know how they died, other than it was accidental) and that the funeral was held in the parlor, which is now my living room. Supposedly, as the story goes, sometimes you can hear small children running through the house and laughing. :ohmy:

I don't know if he was full of it, but I haven't found any reference to this television program or the children that supposedly died. But the gal who lives across the street also said she had heard stories while growing up in this town.

In any case, I've lived in the house for 10 months now. No ghosts that I've seen or heard. But then again I'm not much of a believer in the supernatural... and I sleep pretty soundly at night, so it would take a lot oto wake me. ;)
I think it takes 12 months before they start messing with you. They are just hanging out and figuring out your weaknesses. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom