"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I'm sorry to hear that............
The advantage is, everyone else can take time off this year and I won't begrudge them because I'll not need to clear a schedule. My gift to my office!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #22
Master Chef

One of the coolest charities I know is Heifer International. There you can "buy" a cow, a sheep, a goat, bees, etc. for people living in other countries.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #23
Master Chef

How about an American Express Gift Card? My brother got one for me last year & frankly, I loved it.

The giftee can buy anything anywhere that accepts the Amex card.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
One of the coolest charities I know is Heifer International. There you can "buy" a cow, a sheep, a goat, bees, etc. for people living in other countries.
Never heard of this one. Sounds really great. Since my brother always interested in helping others this would be perfect. Will surely check int o this. I am truly thankful that I read this thread. Always someone else has an answer. Thanks I know my brother will be surprised and who gave me the idea. Even offering bees which really makes it personal as he was beekeeper and always still interested in them.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #25
Master Chef

Good old "Heifer International". After visiting their website, it's nice to see that they've cleaned up their act.

For many years they've been sending out glossy catalogs making people think that they were buying specific animals for specific countries. But unless you read (or could even FIND the fine print), it turned out that all the money was going into a pool, & after administrative expenses, Heifer International bought whatever animals they wanted to buy & sent them where they wanted to send them. And then they added "celebrities" to their glossy catalogs to add insult to injury.

Granted, while I'm sure the donated money went "somewhere" good, I always felt that it was slick marketing to make people believe they were buying specific livestock when, in reality, they were just donating to a pool. And Heifer International liked it looking like that. It made for nicer "gift certificates". Folks liked the idea of buying a "cow" or a "trio of rabbits", etc. That's what made it so annoying - that Heifer actually made it look like you were buying that increment of animals - aka a "trio of rabbits". When in reality your donation wasn't buying a "trio of rabbits". Frankly, it was fraudulent advertising.

A couple of years ago I sent them an e-mail about their practices, as did a number of other like-minded folks. And they responded confirming exactly what I outlined above.

However, I just visited their website, & it looks like they've mended their ways & you now can donate to purchase specific types of animals. This is how it should be if that's how your marketing strategy presents itself. If they decide to do it differently, it should be presented differently.

I donate to a number of charities, & I investigate them thoroughly beforehand. I want my bucks going to where I want them to go, not into someone's greedy little pocket.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #26
Master Chef

It's hard to go wrong with a box of candy. You don't have to go gourmet...a box of good cherry chocolates or Fanny May chocolate truffles will work fine.

If she wears make-up, which most teens do, there are some great gift boxes of cosmetics available at many discount stores.

Or go to Bed'n Bath, and get one of their gift baskets. Their products are very nice, and I think most every girl likes to baby herself sometimes.

Of course, cash always fits.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #27
Executive Chef

If she is really into tennis, how about tickets to the next tournament near where she lives? Don't know how cheap tennis tournament tickets are in Germany, but the only big tournament we get anymore in Perth is the Hopman Cup and they are about A$40 for a decent ticket. Would have thought Germany would have better access though than us.

Or can you find any tennis memorabillia to buy? Not something for her to use just to have.

Does she go to the movies? If so, how about some pre-paid tickets.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #28
Master Chef

Movie tickets are also a good idea, as previously mentioned. Most theatres these days offer books of gift certificates.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Simple ask her to make a list of high and low wishes then pick one your budget allows
Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Also, assuming that her family will be giving her a gift also, you could find out what they would be giving her and giver her an accessory to that present. Like if her parents were giving her a new mobile phone, you could buy her some credit, if it were a handbag, get her a matching purse, that sort of thing. Brings you into the family more too that way.