Gift for someone who hates everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the coolest charities I know is Heifer International. There you can "buy" a cow, a sheep, a goat, bees, etc. for people living in other countries.

How about an American Express Gift Card? My brother got one for me last year & frankly, I loved it.

The giftee can buy anything anywhere that accepts the Amex card.

One of the coolest charities I know is Heifer International. There you can "buy" a cow, a sheep, a goat, bees, etc. for people living in other countries.

Never heard of this one. Sounds really great. Since my brother always interested in helping others this would be perfect. Will surely check int o this. I am truly thankful that I read this thread. Always someone else has an answer. Thanks I know my brother will be surprised and who gave me the idea. Even offering bees which really makes it personal as he was beekeeper and always still interested in them.

Good old "Heifer International". After visiting their website, it's nice to see that they've cleaned up their act.

For many years they've been sending out glossy catalogs making people think that they were buying specific animals for specific countries. But unless you read (or could even FIND the fine print), it turned out that all the money was going into a pool, & after administrative expenses, Heifer International bought whatever animals they wanted to buy & sent them where they wanted to send them. And then they added "celebrities" to their glossy catalogs to add insult to injury.

Granted, while I'm sure the donated money went "somewhere" good, I always felt that it was slick marketing to make people believe they were buying specific livestock when, in reality, they were just donating to a pool. And Heifer International liked it looking like that. It made for nicer "gift certificates". Folks liked the idea of buying a "cow" or a "trio of rabbits", etc. That's what made it so annoying - that Heifer actually made it look like you were buying that increment of animals - aka a "trio of rabbits". When in reality your donation wasn't buying a "trio of rabbits". Frankly, it was fraudulent advertising.

A couple of years ago I sent them an e-mail about their practices, as did a number of other like-minded folks. And they responded confirming exactly what I outlined above.

However, I just visited their website, & it looks like they've mended their ways & you now can donate to purchase specific types of animals. This is how it should be if that's how your marketing strategy presents itself. If they decide to do it differently, it should be presented differently.

I donate to a number of charities, & I investigate them thoroughly beforehand. I want my bucks going to where I want them to go, not into someone's greedy little pocket.

It's hard to go wrong with a box of candy. You don't have to go gourmet...a box of good cherry chocolates or Fanny May chocolate truffles will work fine.

If she wears make-up, which most teens do, there are some great gift boxes of cosmetics available at many discount stores.

Or go to Bed'n Bath, and get one of their gift baskets. Their products are very nice, and I think most every girl likes to baby herself sometimes.

Of course, cash always fits.

If she is really into tennis, how about tickets to the next tournament near where she lives? Don't know how cheap tennis tournament tickets are in Germany, but the only big tournament we get anymore in Perth is the Hopman Cup and they are about A$40 for a decent ticket. Would have thought Germany would have better access though than us.

Or can you find any tennis memorabillia to buy? Not something for her to use just to have.

Does she go to the movies? If so, how about some pre-paid tickets.

Also, assuming that her family will be giving her a gift also, you could find out what they would be giving her and giver her an accessory to that present. Like if her parents were giving her a new mobile phone, you could buy her some credit, if it were a handbag, get her a matching purse, that sort of thing. Brings you into the family more too that way.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. This was very helpful not just for this particular case, but for many others to come in the future.

Bilby, that is great idea as well to ask the parents what they are getting her and go from there. I may have to give that a shot...

It is the spirit of giving and they should except their gift without complaining.
I would fine something that you think is right and give it - if they don't like then tuff- People spend alot of time picking out gifts and that alone should be apprieciated.

I personally would give a gas card this year, With the price of gas even the pickest can't complain on that. If they do they should just get a piece of coal.

My dad is the hardest person in the world to shop for. Not only does he not really need anything, he gets kind of mad if you do buy him something! He says that he has what he needs and we need our money.

That said, I have always tried to find something different for him, that he would use. One thing almost everyone needs is gas, so for Christmas one year we got him a $100 gas gift card.

My nephew loves animals. One year I adopted a whale in his name. He got updates on "his" whale, and the money went to help whales. He was around 10 or 11 at the time and really thought that was cool. Another year I adopted a wolf in his name.

:) Barbara

I personally would give a gas card this year, With the price of gas even the pickest can't complain on that. If they do they should just get a piece of coal.
LOL Somehow I missed your post when I said that we had given my dad the same thing!

One word of warning though--Make sure you know the people at the place you buy the gas card. We didn't know the guy who ran the store we got my dad's at. We bought a $100 card but my dad only got just under $50 from it. I don't think this is a problem most will have to deal with, but we just dealt with a thief. By the time my dad realized that he had been cheated, the receipt had turned white (the ink on a lot of receipts now disappears) and nothing was ever done. Other than that though, we have always had good luck with gift cards.

:)Barbara

As I posted before, & which I feel needs repeating during the holiday season - if you donate towards anything - "wolves, whales, rain forest reforestation, stars, farm animals", whatever - do take the time to investigate THOROUGHLY ahead of sending your money.

There are SO many so-called "charities" out there who are doing little or nothing more than printing off gift certificates from a computer & banking your money. Make sure your $$$ are actually going towards something worthwhile.

As I posted before, & which I feel needs repeating during the holiday season - if you donate towards anything - "wolves, whales, rain forest reforestation, stars, farm animals", whatever - do take the time to investigate THOROUGHLY ahead of sending your money.

There are SO many so-called "charities" out there who are doing little or nothing more than printing off gift certificates from a computer & banking your money. Make sure your $$$ are actually going towards something worthwhile.
Definitely good advice!

:) Barbara

I'm doing a brief report on this tonight in my class. There are 4 websites I found that let you know how a charity spends their money. BBB, Guidestar, Charity watch and Charity Navigator are the ones I found. My fave is Charitynavigator. Easy to read charts. They get info from the tas forms submitted to IRS. Another thing that my sister did one year was to buy a star for my son. It came with a poster of the constellation area and showed which star is named Matthew and how to find it through a telescope. He really enjoyed that! He was around 16 or 17 at the time too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom