"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. This was very helpful not just for this particular case, but for many others to come in the future.

Bilby, that is great idea as well to ask the parents what they are getting her and go from there. I may have to give that a shot...

Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #32
Head Chef

It is the spirit of giving and they should except their gift without complaining.
I would fine something that you think is right and give it - if they don't like then tuff- People spend alot of time picking out gifts and that alone should be apprieciated.

I personally would give a gas card this year, With the price of gas even the pickest can't complain on that. If they do they should just get a piece of coal.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #33
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My dad is the hardest person in the world to shop for. Not only does he not really need anything, he gets kind of mad if you do buy him something! He says that he has what he needs and we need our money.

That said, I have always tried to find something different for him, that he would use. One thing almost everyone needs is gas, so for Christmas one year we got him a $100 gas gift card.

My nephew loves animals. One year I adopted a whale in his name. He got updates on "his" whale, and the money went to help whales. He was around 10 or 11 at the time and really thought that was cool. Another year I adopted a wolf in his name.

Barbara
Old 11-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #34
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I personally would give a gas card this year, With the price of gas even the pickest can't complain on that. If they do they should just get a piece of coal.
LOL Somehow I missed your post when I said that we had given my dad the same thing!

One word of warning though--Make sure you know the people at the place you buy the gas card. We didn't know the guy who ran the store we got my dad's at. We bought a $100 card but my dad only got just under $50 from it. I don't think this is a problem most will have to deal with, but we just dealt with a thief. By the time my dad realized that he had been cheated, the receipt had turned white (the ink on a lot of receipts now disappears) and nothing was ever done. Other than that though, we have always had good luck with gift cards.

Barbara
Old 11-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #35
Master Chef

As I posted before, & which I feel needs repeating during the holiday season - if you donate towards anything - "wolves, whales, rain forest reforestation, stars, farm animals", whatever - do take the time to investigate THOROUGHLY ahead of sending your money.

There are SO many so-called "charities" out there who are doing little or nothing more than printing off gift certificates from a computer & banking your money. Make sure your $$$ are actually going towards something worthwhile.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #36
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
As I posted before, & which I feel needs repeating during the holiday season - if you donate towards anything - "wolves, whales, rain forest reforestation, stars, farm animals", whatever - do take the time to investigate THOROUGHLY ahead of sending your money.

There are SO many so-called "charities" out there who are doing little or nothing more than printing off gift certificates from a computer & banking your money. Make sure your $$$ are actually going towards something worthwhile.
Definitely good advice!

Barbara
Old 11-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #37
Master Chef

I'm doing a brief report on this tonight in my class. There are 4 websites I found that let you know how a charity spends their money. BBB, Guidestar, Charity watch and Charity Navigator are the ones I found. My fave is Charitynavigator. Easy to read charts. They get info from the tas forms submitted to IRS. Another thing that my sister did one year was to buy a star for my son. It came with a poster of the constellation area and showed which star is named Matthew and how to find it through a telescope. He really enjoyed that! He was around 16 or 17 at the time too!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #38
Head Chef

I'd give her a card, only. Obviously she is not ln need of anything but your good wishes.