"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Everymom

I've been following this with some interest. IMHO Vera, you do indeed work with Grinches who do not deserve your lovely baking. Phooey on them!

OK, so here is what I think you should do for next year. Do you have a desk? A few weeks before Christmas go out to a nice department store or specialty store and buy a few really cute or fancy ornaments. Then put them in gift bags and stash them in your desk. That way, if someone actually GETS you something you have something nice to give in return BUT its something that carries over from year to year. (Or you can use them yourself, whatever works) I do this sort of thing myself. I buy little gifts like this, usually with a particular person in mind, but something that could be for anyone and stash them under the tree.

They are my "Oh crap" gifts. Like, "Oh Crap! Anna is coming over to drop off a gift and I didn't get her anything!"

Good luck with the Grinch brigade.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
They are my "Oh crap" gifts. Like, "Oh Crap! Anna is coming over to drop off a gift and I didn't get her anything!"
LOL When Nancy was growing up we always kept things like that hidden away in the event that Nancy received a last-minute invitation to a birthday party, or if any other gift-giving emergency popped up.

Barbara

Old 12-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Those people you are working with do not deserve you, Vera. That said, I would not want you to change your generous nature, so see how the next year goes and then give to whomever - boss, AA, or scullery maid - you have created a bond with and poop on everyone else.

If you believe that might seem miserly, just make a load of green and red popcorn balls and leave them next to the coffe machine with a little card saying "Merry Christmas from Vera" for anyone to partake.

Last Christmas I was 3 months into a new job, so I got everyone in the department a box of Droste to make hot chocolate with, and "The Devil's Dictionary" for my fellow wordsmith who had been especially helpful to me setttling in. Nobody got me anything. This year nobody got anything from me.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Those people you are working with do not deserve you, Vera. That said, I would not want you to change your generous nature, so see how the next year goes and then give to whomever - boss, AA, or scullery maid - you have created a bond with and poop on everyone else.

If you believe that might seem miserly, just make a load of green and red popcorn balls and leave them next to the coffe machine with a little card saying "Merry Christmas from Vera" for anyone to partake.

Last Christmas I was 3 months into a new job, so I got everyone in the department a box of Droste to make hot chocolate with, and "The Devil's Dictionary" for my fellow wordsmith who had been especially helpful to me setttling in. Nobody got me anything. This year nobody got anything from me.
What a shame that people, all people, all over the place, don't really know the great person they are sitting next to, or working with, or riding the same train with. Sure, some cases are just people passing in the ether, but in other cases, these are people we see more than family, for the most part. It really is a shame.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Next year will be my third time I have started working at a new place in three years. We have always done Secret Santa which is good - as that is easy and you know where you stand.
Alix - I like the present stash idea. Will have to remember that for next year. I seem to always have to whip something up at the last minute because someone has given me a gift and it didn't occur to me that they would (you know...random people that you only see once in a blue moon).
Old 12-22-2006, 10:46 PM   #16
Cook

Location: Canberra, Australia - The Nations Capitol and Home of the Pollies
I'd have to agree that I think it is just a matter of asking beforehand. At my work we do a Secret Santa and the gift has to be under $10. Makes things so much easier and everyone is happy.

Cookware Consumer Guide
Jenyfari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

vb, don't let the tukeys get you down. give from your heart, and don't keep a checklist of who reciprocated, not even a small list in the back of your head. that kind of weight gets heavier with time.
i really believe that good people, such as yourself, are rewarded many times over for their kindness and generosity. maybe not directly, but good things tend to follow good people around.

i work with the cheapest, stingiest, most boring, unfriendly, well paid nerds that you can imagine. we didn't even do our regular christmas party this year, which i used to run. since i was working midnights no one else wanted to take up the yoke. it's difficult to squeeze even $20 out of them once a year (from a group of people each of whom make 6 figures ). when other people ran the party in years past the parties were disasters, so when i wasn't in charge no one wanted to trust anyone else to take over.

to say the least, NO ONE has ever exchanged christmas gifts in my dept., until this year. we have a new kid, 23 years old, who recently was hired and survived the 90 day gauntlet (not every new hiree has learned enough quickly enough to cut it here). when he was made permanent staff, i quietly suggested to him to buy an expensive bottle of something for our supervisor and manager as a thank you gift. i did the same almost 20 years ago, and it got me off on the right foot with them, showing gratitude like that, which laid the groundwork for many years of mutual respect.

well, the kid didn't do anything until now. the sneaky little bastid bought my supv. and manager giant bottles of grey goose and presented them as christmas gifts, instead of "thank you" gifts. so now the rest of us look cheap. my supervisor even joked about where his gifts were from everyone else, and that our overtime was being reduced, while the kid was going to get carte blanche on the schedule. grrrrrrr. i hate smart kids.

anyway, again, give your gifts because you want to give them, because you appreciate the person that is to receive them. don't sweat the turkeys.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote