"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-19-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Gift Wrapping Tips

Ok, I am a complete fanatic about wrapping gifts. I love it! My mom didn't like to wrap gifts, and she sometimes even had me wrap some of my own (she put them in boxes, and she knew I would never look). I am one of those people who will work with a package for a long time just to make sure all the lines, designs, etc. match perfectly. Everyone always knew when they got a present that I wrapped because they are so tightly wrapped that they can hardly open them! lol

Some tips I learned and thought you might want to use:

If you are giving two people in the same family an identical gift and you don't want them to figure it out, here is what you do (this only works if they are in oblong boxes, not square): Use paper that has a definite direction to it. Wrap one with the design long-ways and one with the design short-ways. You won't believe how different they look. I just wrapped 2 video sets for our one daughter, using the same paper in different directions, and one looks smaller than the other. No one has ever caught on when I did this.

If I think of any more tips, I'll add them. If you have any tips, please share them with us!

Barbara

Old 12-19-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I just thought of the other thing I wanted to say. One tradition I started in our family years ago was that any gifts from Santa were always wrapped in special Santa paper that wasn't used for anything else. That really made the gifts from Santa stand out, and the kids noticed that Santa used different paper than we did.

Barbara

Old 12-19-2005, 11:47 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I did that when David was little
never did fool the kiddo though. lol
Old 12-20-2005, 01:08 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Thanks, I'm terrible at wrapping!!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Erik,

If you don't like wrapping, and you can't find someone like me to do it just remember 2 things. Allow yourself plenty of time, and make sure you have plenty of room on a nice solid table. Also, if you make sure everything is in solid square or rectangular boxes, it is easier. If all else fails, buy some cute gift bags and tissue paper! They aren't nearly as fun to open, but they are good for really odd shaped things.

Barbara
Old 12-20-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
Executive Chef

My dh has had a hard time getting in the Christmas spirit this year so I told him I was too busy with other work to put up and decorate the tree and also to wrap the packages. He said he would help out, but I left him doing the entire thing. He has been less a scooge since then - and even went out and bought a few gifts. I did the mailing and most of the shopping so I think it was good for him to help out and it certainly improved his attitude.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
cartwheelmac

Newspaper is the hottest wrapping paper at the Butler's house. Buy it today for 50 cents a package and get ads for free!

Cameron
Old 12-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hey that might be a smart idea, Cameron, sometimes makes me wonder why do we have to spend even more money on top of the presents themselves, for something get all torn apart within a couple of seconds as they get them without hardly a look on how neatly they are wrapped!!

I don't mind wrapping and I am pretty deft at it, I have my unique way so that the seams will show just at the bottom, with only one piece of scotch tape visible. It also uses less amount of paper than the usual way if you size them right. People wonder how I do it but it is really easy maybe I should make a demonstration video!! The object must be perfectly rectangular or square in a box form though, with odd shaped objects I still have no clue how to do it!!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I actually saw an ad this year that most presents can be wrapped for between $60 and 75.00. I don't have any idea who those ads were directed to, but many of my presents didn't cost that much.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwheelmac
Newspaper is the hottest wrapping paper at the Butler's house. Buy it today for 50 cents a package and get ads for free!

Cameron
I used to HAVE to do this. We could barely afford the gifts, much less the paper, bows and ribbons! I even used construction paper one year and let the boys draw pictures on them. They were so cute.