Gifts for That Hard-to-Shop-For Person

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
We all know someone who either has everything or is just extremely difficult to shop for. My dad is one. All he does is work, and he doesn't really even want anything. Once in a while I find just the perfect gift for him, but it is harder every year. Last year I thought of the perfect gift for him, something he would use and was different (Little did I know the store clerk was going to cheat me and give me just under $50 value when I paid $100, but that is something I am taking up with the company). We got him a $100 gas card. So, I will start with #1 and then you can copy and paste and just add to the list of gifts for the hard-to-shop-for person! Maybe we can help someone who needs ideas out.

:) Barbara

1. Gas card (or gift certificate for gas)

2. petzl head lamp. i mentioned this one last year, but i still like and use mine so much that it bears repeating.

it is a flashlight on a headband, like a miner's light. it's extremely useful as it puts light where ever you turn your head. perfect for working on things in dark spots when you need both hands. i use mine a lot when i'm grilling after dark, and there's not enough light on the food to be able to tell how it's cooking.

3. Personalized T-shirt

Now there are printing papers for transfers, even ones for coloured surface for domestic printers, why not make a special t-shirt made just for that person??
Probably you would at least know his/her favourite subject (i.e. cartoon characters, sport teams, slogans, animals, picture of his/her grandkids etc. etc.), then maybe add a personal touch on the image using a graphic software (i.e. adding a saying on the picture, combining multiple images, make the colours brighter just to name a few example), print it and slap it on a T-shirt!! Unique and creative... at the very worst they could still use that as something to sleep in:mrgreen: !!

buckytom said:
2. petzl head lamp. i mentioned this one last year, but i still like and use mine so much that it bears repeating.

it is a flashlight on a headband, like a miner's light. it's extremely useful as it puts light where ever you turn your head. perfect for working on things in dark spots when you need both hands. i use mine a lot when i'm grilling after dark, and there's not enough light on the food to be able to tell how it's cooking.

I still gotta see a picture of you cooking with that thing on!!

I'll confess to BEING one of those people. When I need something, I go buy it. Fortunately to date, I've avoided getting a membership in the "Jelly of the Month Club" (even though it is "the gift that keeps giving all year, Clark")

#4 - I got my wife this for her B-day... A Day at the Spa

John

For the older hard to buy folks on my list ... last year I donated to the Red Cross in their names and sent them a card telling them about the donation.
Since they always say they have everything they need and want nothing, this worked well.

For the younger folks
I do gift certificates to their favorite stores.
That way they can pick and choose themselves.
The price and the size is always exactly right.:)

I agree with gift certificates also. My dad always gets one to Red Lobster every year on his birthday! My parents are the same way- if they need or want something, they go out and buy it! Family portraits are also nice. People always like pictures. One year I bought a cheap clock, and put pictures in it of my daughter and grandparent's outings together! They loved it!

buckytom said:

I'm so glad you said you said that buckytom, because I bought one of those for my brother this year. He has pretty bad eyesight and wanted extra light on his reading materials, and wanted a booklight. I figured this might be better because booklights aren't good for magazines and this one had halogen bulbs. I also figured he could use it for other things as you mentioned.

BC

We have several sets of friends who are impossible to shop for, but they all love to eat..So we either make up a themed food gift basket or go the their favorite place to eat and get them a gift card... My mom at 89 is still a snack nut and adores sweets and cheese of any kind.. So I fill her a goodie basket and she is in heaven...My daughter in law, is outside working and training horses everyday and her favortie thing is a facial...one trip to the spa:LOL:
Gift cards are just about the best thing there is for almost everyone...

kadesma:)

My mother is on a limited income so I try to get her things she needs. They are not exciting, but are things she needs. Last year she had to put 4 new tires on her car so she got tires for Christmas. My daughter is getting her a gift card for her favorite grocery store. We do get her a few small things so she has packages to open on Christmas Day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom