Girls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone wear cologne anymore? i haven't worn cologne since, I really don't know when. Always make sure I take a bath and wear deodorant. Is this forgotten because of all the other things I have to do or am I just getting old and don't care? I often smell cologne on others, even the men, and I want to ask what kind it is but don't want them to think I am 'attracted' to them.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to know what kind you wear and do you try it before you buy it? Some salespeople give me a card with the cologne sprayed on it. That doesn't really let you know how it would smell on you. I remember long time ago, they would give small vile with few drops in it. Haven't seen those again. People must be buying plenty that it isn't necessary to pass out samples.

Only something I think about but never ask. I am leaving house now and took time to see what you do.

thanks for your time.

I love browsing the perfume counter. When I know I'm going to be buying something I never leave home with perfume on my wrists because I don't want the scents to mix.
I first will take a wiff of the sprayer to see what my initial response is and then if I find the scent appealing I'll spray it on the card and fan that around a little then take another whiff. However, before I buy I spray a little on my wrist and rub my wrists together then take off shopping. I find the scent too strong to judge at first and I need to see truly what it will truly smell like on my skin after it settles in with my own body chemistry. So periodically I'll take a whiff of my wrist. And by the time I'm done shopping I know whether to buy or not.
Currently I'm wearing Ralph Laurens "Lauren". Everybody's body chemistry is different so what smells good on someone else may not smell good on you. I loved the smell of Danielle Steele's perfume on a friend of mine and literally couldn't stand the smell of it on me. Perfume is something I do splurge on.
And yes its unfort. a lot of the stores don't hand out those lil vials anymore but I think its because people were really taking advantage of them.

Does anyone wear cologne anymore? I often smell cologne on others, even the men

is that like what we call Aftershave here in the UK?

if it is then no, I`v not worn any for about 10 years now (I still have 2 unopened bottles somewhere).
as for smelly stuff, if you count Right-Guard original, then yeah, that`s about it.

:) I don't wear perfume I don't really care for it but I do like a good cologne on men I actually like mens cologne better than perfume.Im allergic to bees so I definitely don't need to wear an attractant but I do like smelling the little strips in the magazines.

I've worn several diff scents over the years, estee, opium, fendi, lauren and some others i can't recall at the moment. But the one that always got me the most compliments, even 14 hours after putting it on is Clinique Aromatics..and I'm a person that doesn't spray on much..I hate reeking with a scent.

Heehee kitchenelf. Seriously though, look at the Givenchy line. Eau de Givenchy is a bit citrusy but lovely and fresh. You would like it. (I KNOW that because its one of my favorites too. LOL)

I wear CK One every day & then Tiffany at night when going out. I've been wearing these two scents for over 15 years. I am often overwhelmed by all the smells in a store so I just haven't looked into any any new fragrances.

It is funny if I get a whiff of a certain men's cologne it will immediately remind me of an ex boyfriend or friend in highschool & college...weird so many years later.

I can't handle perfumes... too strong and cost too much anymore. Like Alix, I perfer natural scents, like patchouli or vanilla, lavendar. I like the light smelling body mists that just give a glimpse of a scent as I walk by. Some lotions have enough scent for me to do the trick... Air Bonne (sp?) use to have this Almond Lotion that you could get and it was soooo elegant, light and smooth. I just loved the scent it had!!!! I can't find it anymore.

I always wear fragrance - nice smells make me happy. Usually single note florals and almost always cologne (eau de toilette) because I don't like reeking or overpowering smells either. I usually wear Joy by Jean Patou. But I also like some I got in France - Jasmin from the Fleur de Provence line by Moulinard. I used to wear Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden (mostly because it's what my mother wore for years) but my kids say it smells like an old lady. Avon used to make one called Hawaiian White Ginger that I loved but I don't even know if they make it anymore. The pure oils I wear are Sandalwood and Patchouli and Nag Champa (because that's the incense I like), but my grown kids tell me only potheads wear those now.:LOL:

This is a cool thread. It's interesting to see what people like and dislike. On a side note, does anyone remember scented dusting powder? When I was growing up, your bath wasn't complete till you used the dusting powder!

The pure oils I wear are Sandalwood and Patchouli and Nag Champa (because that's the incense I like), but my grown kids tell me only potheads wear those now.:LOL:

This is a cool thread. It's interesting to see what people like and dislike. On a side note, does anyone remember scented dusting powder? When I was growing up, your bath wasn't complete till you used the dusting powder!

ROFLMAO!!!!! Can't say I remember the dusting powder... but I do have some nag champa... love it! Sandalwood too!

When I go out, I always wear cologne, I like the sweet, "Skin Musk or Obsession". Lol, use to use dusting powder, now its baby powder :rolleyes:! Use to buy "Wild Country for my DH. Remember - Jade East - use to love that on guys.

Last edited:
I wear White Diamonds {Liz taylor}
I have smelled a lot of wonder smelling perfumes and colognes.
Find some with Lavendar, those are always clean smelling.

Does anyone wear cologne anymore? i haven't worn cologne since, I really don't know when. Always make sure I take a bath and wear deodorant. Is this forgotten because of all the other things I have to do or am I just getting old and don't care? I often smell cologne on others, even the men, and I want to ask what kind it is but don't want them to think I am 'attracted' to them.
Just go ahead and ask, ITK! People are generally flattered when someone (especially a stranger) compliments their taste in clothes or fragrance and are happy to tell you what it is. If it's a man, just tell him you like his cologne very much and could he tell you what it is so you can buy your husband/boyfriend/son/father/mailman some of it. That way he won't think you're coming on to him. And thanks for starting this thread - it's fun!

I am an Opium fan, perfume, not cologne. Last time I checked it was about $75.00 for 3 ounces. The good thing is my children know I like it and will pool their resources to buy me some for special occasions.

Nope... I don't.
Most perfumes give me a smashing headache and it happens very quickly.

I got one the other day when I opened up a COOKING mag and it had a free sample of perfume in it! COOKING magazines SHOULD NOT have perfume in them!!!

Back
Top Bottom