"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #21
Executive Chef
There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head.

"Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today."?
So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head.

"H-M-M, " she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today."?
So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head.

"Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail."
So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head.

"Yay!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!"

wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #22
Head Chef
wasabi - i love that!! I hope I have that attitude when I'm down to my last 3 hairs

Practice random acts of kindness.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #23
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by texasgirl
HEHE, go look in the member's photos, you'll see mudbug. She's all woman!!
Why yes she is! It must have been the 'mudbug' name that threw me off...maybe??

BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:31 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
to me, good hair is one of the first things that a guy notices about a woman because it frames her face and implies a physically healthy disposition (no kidding! really, a serious opinion........ yes, those are probably next. i'm not dead, ya know) and then it becomes one of the things that he ends up b1tching about for the cost of maintenance for years to come.
dw has great hair; thick and healthy and pretty long. i don't think anyone is sure of it's original color tho. i think it was much darker. no matter, it looks good. oddly enough, our son has the same exact dirty blonde colored hair. hmmm, i wonder if those chemicals get in your dna.
anyway, she gets her hair cut and colored about every 10 weeks or so, at about a buck fifty a pop.
that seems ridiculous to me, but what can ya do? it makes her happy.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #25
Master Chef
Gee, I guess there are some good things about living in an economically depressed area. I have my hair trimmed and highlighted every 2 months, and the cost is only $40.

Mudbug, I have to admit, I, too, thought you were a boy at first, although after I read enough of your posts, I realized you are one of the gals.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #26
Master Chef
I was blessed with my mothers thick head of hair. They say I have enough hair on my head for 3 people. I was also blessed with my fathers side of whats called "Silk Hair". It true color is on the lowest level of blonde. When I was little it was pure blonde.....a tow head is what I believe they called it. But through the years it darkened. In fact I thought I was truely a light brown but my stylist pulled out the hair color samples and showed me that in fact I was on the low end of blonde. It'll be interesting to see if I take after my mothers side and end up with snow white hair.

Anyway, my hair is now down about 3 to 4 inches past my bra line. It has layers throughout. The stylist has to texturize my hair to get the bulk out of it so that it just doesn't lay flat and give me a conehead effect.... . My hair grows extremely fast. For a cut it cost me $30.00 (includes $5.00 tip). I try to have it cut at least every 4-6 weeks but sometimes its more like 2 months. My highlights (light blonde) cost me $90.00 (includes $10.00 tip). Its a lot of money but well worth it! I don't do much to pamper myself and this is one thing that really makes me feel good about my appearance.

I haven't done it in awhile but sometimes I'll go in and tell the stylist to do whatever they want. They ususally stick with the same color but cut it short. I always end up liking it but ultimately I grow it out long again........which DH is ever so grateful for since he loves it when its long.

As far as a stylist.....I've only had 3 in my life that I've had always cut/highlight my hair beautifully. I had like 3 that totally butched it and I never went back. I'll stick with my current one until he no longer does it and then I'll have him recommend someone.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #27
Seems to me that once you start, you can't stop, and I'd rather spend the money on something else.(Mudbug)
---------------My thoughts exactly! - I have five thumbs on each hand when it comes to styling & so I keep mine verrrry short. . . Thank goodness for hairdressers who like tocut! I love wasabi's story - What a wonderful attitude! Have a great day everybody! Gotta run. - Glenda
"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck" -Emma Goldman
spdrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #28
Executive Chef
my hair is pitiful, thin, fine, with a tiny bit of body. Yes, we are never satisfied with what we have. I am not inclined to do any more than wash, towel dry and comb. I also live in an economically depressed area and am blessed to have a woman who understands my hair, love her cuts. I have my hair trimmed every four weeks for $9.00. I do not and will not color my hair, is mostly grey and white with some on the original med brown. But the grey/white has come in in a way that looks like I paid to have it streaked. For the first 53 years of my life my hair was very greasy, but that has finally subsided, I can now go for two days between washing before it starts to look greasy. I use a gel on my hair to get it to stand up off my scalp. geeessshh, hair is such a pain. I keep mine sorta short, hubby would like it longer but it looks terrible any longer, too stringy.
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #29
Hospitality Queen
Just my two cents, although I worked as a hairdresser for quite a few years.

Fine hair isn't always oily. The thickness/thinness of your hair has nothing to do with your scalp's condition. It's what you do to it. Just as you take care of your skin, you must take care of your scalp. It's skin, afterall!

Use professional products. Store brand stuff will never do your hair justice. It's not the same product. Store brands have a lot more water in relation to the good stuff. And, their good stuff isn't the best quality. That's why you have to use so much to clean/condition your hair. A professional product will always give you better results.

Think of store brand being like a McDonald's hamburger, and the pro line is more of a 7% lean ground beef from a butcher, then grilled on a fire to perfection. Or, it's the chef's difference between using real vanilla extract vs. artificial vanilla flavoring. See the difference?

You will never get the best results from a home coloring job. Why? Because those products do not contain the needed levels of color/peroxide/amonia you need to acheive great results.

While we're on the subject, from experience in salons, yes, the pricier salons really do know their stuff. The cupon-type hair cutter places will hire someone right out of beauty school, no questions asked. They'll charge you about 10 bucks and send you on your way. A nicer salon will hire the newbie, but make them assist a top stylist for months (or years) until they can get the proper technique.

Laides, if you don't think your hair is gorgeous, try the salon in your city that you know may have higher prices, but has the best reputation. You know, a consulatation is generally free. Just ask their advice!

Okay, I'm climbing down off of my soapbox now.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:00 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
I was waiting for you to weigh in on this one, jkath! After getting too many whack jobs at Hair Cuttery, I'm upgrading to another chain we have out here (Bubbles). Can't comment on the coloring pointers 'cuz I've never done it.

There's a salon even closer to my house (not part of a chain) that I've been to a couple of time, but I just can't see spending 50 bucks there to get what basically amounts to a trim. The girl at this salon did do a beautiful job on daughter's full highlights (Christmas present), but it was $100 plus tip and she no longer works there.

Basically, I believe that as long as you find a stylist who you like, you are better off giving that person your business regularly.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote