Girls! Let's Obsess About Our Hair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Licia, I'm sure your hair isn't as bad as you portray. We all have hair problems. I had a boss once who told me he'd never seen someone go in the girls room with one hairdo and come out with another. I never know what my hair will do from one time to the next. Everyone knows it changes with the wind and it's own whim. Could be worse - I could NOT have any!

abjcooking said:
Just a question for anyone. When I use to dye my hair back in college I would use the over the counter coloring products. In each box there was a small bottle of conditioner that came with the coloring kit. Does anyone sell this seperately?
Even after getting expensive deep conditioning treatments and using deep conditioning products my hair has never been as soft as it was after using this small bottle of conditioner.

I have wondered the same thing. They could corner the market with that stuff, it's fantastic!!

licia said:
Licia, I'm sure your hair isn't as bad as you portray. We all have hair problems. I had a boss once who told me he'd never seen someone go in the girls room with one hairdo and come out with another. I never know what my hair will do from one time to the next. Everyone knows it changes with the wind and it's own whim. Could be worse - I could NOT have any!

Thanks Licia for your kind words... I know there are many many worse problems you could face in your life than uncooperative hair, I shouldn't be griping... like you said, I do have them to cover my head!!:LOL:

Thanks jkath, I signed up for a sample. If it works as well as those color conditioners I will be a very happy person.

I invited you to view my photo page to see that I was born blond and brunett..then I looked and most of my pictures were gone but today some of them are back. If you are interested..go see.

I got sick last year - REALLY sick - to the point of having septic shock with all the accompanying organ failures (and some very scary nights for my family waiting for the other shoe to drop - thank God it didn't), and was in and out of the hospital a couple of times with a lengthy recouperation afterward. About 2-3 months later, my hair began to fall out by the handful. As it turns out, when you're at death's door like that, your body makes choices, and replenishing your hair is not one of them, so it starts to fall out. I don't quite know why it waits that couple of months to start falling out, but according to the Dr., it does. It was horrible. It got to the point where I was thinking I would lose it all - it became very obvious that I was losing my hair. Just at the point of despair, and after I had the hairdresser cut off about 10" of length, I began to notice sprouts. Gray sprouts, most of them, but sprouts nonetheless. I can't tell you how grateful I am to see it growing back now that my health is returning. I don't care what color it is. If I have to dye it from now on, so be it.

That was yet another frightening experience for me in 2005. Am I glad that's over!

BC

WELL. someone currentlyhas darker black-tinted tresses than they were earlier tonite due mostly to this thread & an addiction to hairdye.:whistling

Last edited:
BlueCat said:
I got sick last year - REALLY sick - to the point of having septic shock with all the accompanying organ failures (and some very scary nights for my family waiting for the other shoe to drop - thank God it didn't), and was in and out of the hospital a couple of times with a lengthy recouperation afterward. About 2-3 months later, my hair began to fall out by the handful. As it turns out, when you're at death's door like that, your body makes choices, and replenishing your hair is not one of them, so it starts to fall out. I don't quite know why it waits that couple of months to start falling out, but according to the Dr., it does. It was horrible. It got to the point where I was thinking I would lose it all - it became very obvious that I was losing my hair. Just at the point of despair, and after I had the hairdresser cut off about 10" of length, I began to notice sprouts. Gray sprouts, most of them, but sprouts nonetheless. I can't tell you how grateful I am to see it growing back now that my health is returning. I don't care what color it is. If I have to dye it from now on, so be it.

That was yet another frightening experience for me in 2005. Am I glad that's over!

BC

Oh my BC I can only imagine how terrified you were on top of what else you were dealing with. I'm glad it is growing back. You know they say blondes have more fun but I have some friends that are brunettes and redheads and they have just as much fun as I do. Think of the fun you can have experimenting with different colors. I've always wanted to change the color of my hair and go drastic (red) but just when I think I'm ready for the change I change my mind when my butt hits the sylists chair :) .

SizzlininIN said:
Oh my BC I can only imagine how terrified you were on top of what else you were dealing with. I'm glad it is growing back. You know they say blondes have more fun but I have some friends that are brunettes and redheads and they have just as much fun as I do. Think of the fun you can have experimenting with different colors. I've always wanted to change the color of my hair and go drastic (red) but just when I think I'm ready for the change I change my mind when my butt hits the sylists chair :) .

Thanks! It's been one tough year, but I've emerged in relatively good shape considering the extent of the illness. I have some heart damage, but it's not terrible, and now I have quite a nice crop of graying hair that's now approaching 2" in length. I have some longer hair too, that escaped the fallout, so it will hopefully begin to look like an intentional layering soon. I'm naturally a medium brunette, and feel comfortable with that color. I tried some highlights recently (hubby bought me a salon gift certificate so that a professional could help me out, with the hair loss and all), but the dark hair is a better fit for me. I'm 47, so I'd like to wait a while before accepting the gray, but as I said earlier, I'm ever so grateful that I have hair that I can obsess about with all of you!

BC

does anyone here have their hair foiled? how long does it take your hairdresser to do this? I love mine, but I'm usually there for THREE hours!!!!!!

Foiled means what?

I permed my hair last yr and :( it turns my hairs so dry
End up i trim it off last month with new hair colour of a highlight and lowlight.
I just love my new hair colours for now

Barb33 said:
does anyone here have their hair foiled? how long does it take your hairdresser to do this? I love mine, but I'm usually there for THREE hours!!!!!!

foiled=highlights or lowlights, or both.
Depending on the processing your hairdresser uses, it is a very long process. For example, if you've got brown hair and you want blonde highlighting, your color has to be lifted (or lightened) to blonde, which is taking it from brown to orange (yes, orange) to blonde. If the hairdresser were to take off the foils or plastics before your hair got to the blonde color, you'd look like a lovely little pumpkin! She/He is using a very high volume of peroxide which has the ability to do this. Over-the-counter drugstore stuff doesn't have this strength, which is why folks who try to go from dark to light go orange (think Sun-In back in the 70's).Anyway, once you've lightened to blonde, then the color he/she is using must deposit it's molecules into your hair. All in all, it is a long process. The only way it could be sped up is if he/she could section your hair off quicker. But, if you are happy with the results, stay with your stylist! What is 3 hours, when you consider how beautiful you look for 6-8 weeks?

Oh i see. so that's foiled.
I just did mine last month and the colour is getting better. When i finished, i almost fainted cause its so striking under the sun.
Usually it took me abt 3hrs cause my hair very hard to get colour in. But this round... its done within 2hrs after i changed my sylist.

Mudbug, the answer is obvious. We'll have "just five minutes" when we are stupid enough to think that hair that looks like that looks good! Hubby and I always joke that 99% of the time you can tell when men dye their hair. I personally always wonder why men bother -- dye, perms, long hair, comb-overs, implants, etc. I swear, if I could get away with a buzz cut I'd go for it! I never think men look better with these affectations (my favorite is balding men with pony-tails. The old hippie wannabe equivalent of the comb-over).

I had a weird experience, though. Last year I suffered from a huge attack of eczema & psoriasis. I lost over half my hair, which wasn't very thick to begin with. After some intensive care & treatments, I've gotten some of it back. BUT it came back curly. I've always wanted curly hair, and now I've got it. I'm not quite sure what to do with it some days!!! Hubby cut it for me yesterday morning and was shocked at how little there is of it; the curliness is a blessing, as it disguises how little of it there is.

I have very long, blonde hair that is naturally on the very low end of the blonde scale. It only takes my hair stylist 1 1/2 hours to highlight, cut and style my hair. However, because my hair is so thick and long I shampoo and dry it before I go to my appointment.....leaving off the styling products. That way he doesn't have to go through that process of washign and drying it.....otherwise it'd probably be another 1/2 hour.

It used to take my old stylist 2 hours to do my hair.

Back
Top Bottom