"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Luxury

My hair is a luxury to me. I never take time w/it. My mother was completely white at 25 and then when mine started changing she said nothing can be done about it. Just accept it. Gradually my hair became completely white. I recently put some color on it and cannot believe how many people have told me about time! Really bothered me to know how they must have felt about my hair. Guess it is sign of being old? Who knows? Didn't bother me. But now that I started, what would you suggest I do? It is already starting to grow and I can se the white. I bought a box from Walgreens cause it was on sale. The girl at the store said I should go to professional for advice. My hair is long and everytime I go to someone they cut and I have to try to get same look that it is supposed to be. I have avoided going to shops for long time. When it has length I can pull it off my neck when I work out. Othewise seems to be stuck to my neck when I come home from sweat. Before I was married, took time because I had to. After marriage my ex told me not to spend time on my hair. To this day, I feel guilty when I do. I feel it is best to go to someone as the girl had suggested. Anyone use home products? As jkath said probably ruin your hair. ONe thing my hair is healthy now if I start with coloring will that have affect on it. I sure wouldn't want my hair to fall out. Thank for thoughts.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #32
Head Chef

ITK, I understand what you are saying...I was always told (in a previous life, by an ex) to let my hair grow...and that I didn't need to spend any money getting it cut or colored. Well, thank goodness, those days are over and now I decide what I want to do with my hair!

I used to color it myself at home (I was dealing with the guilt of spending $$), but I was very unhappy with the results and my hair began to get damaged. I'm just not very good at doing my own hair! So...now I go maybe 3 or 4 times a year to get my hair colored. I ask the professionals at the salons what they suggest. I like to lessen the impact of my grey hair showing at the roots. They've all been very helpful with suggesting ideas that keep me happy .

Just my story - and my opinion...but I'd suggest you stay away from the home coloring products and go to a salon. Treat yourself! You're worth it!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #33
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie

Just my story - and my opinion...but I'd suggest you stay away from the home coloring products and go to a salon. Treat yourself! You're worth it!!
Perfectly said!!
Old 04-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Perfectly said!!
Amen!!!!! Life too short not to enjoy it. And if its something that makes you feel good about yourself then by all means you should treat yourself. I always feel like I've been put on a pedestal when I get my hair done. I get the best treatment from the staff and I feel like a million bucks when I leave.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:44 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Amen!!!!! Life too short not to enjoy it. And if its something that makes you feel good about yourself then by all means you should treat yourself. I always feel like I've been put on a pedestal when I get my hair done. I get the best treatment from the staff and I feel like a million bucks when I leave.

Ah yes, it's sooo relaxing to get your hair done. Makes me wanna sleep. Sadly, I have been the only one to cut, color or highlight my hair in quite some time. The best, though, is this place downtown that uses Aveda products. They offer you a nice glass of wine with your service!
Old 04-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Since we're on the subject of salons...how much do you tip at your salon? I never know about this stuff at places other than restaurants.

BC
Old 04-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #37
Head Chef

Depends....just a haircut, I'll give $5 which is a nice tip. A hightlight or color? $10.

When I was doing hair, $2 was an average tip.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #38
DC Grandma

I have never colored my hair.. I didn't have to. I was born with a blond forelock (yellow, like the color of ripe wheat) If any of you who haven't seen my pictures on this site..go check it out. In high school most of the girls were bleaching a streak in their hair. Not me..when I go to a High School Reunion (1952) class mates come up to me and say " I remember you...you always had that natural streak in your hair." It has turned white now but the rest of my hair is brunette. I have had the same hair dresser for 31 years. She says I now have 1/3 of the "bush" I use to have.. I go to her every week. My hair is coarse and wiry so a perm. is due every 3 months. $70.00 and a cut with style 6 weeks later. Cuts are $23.00 style is $ 18.00 but if done at the same time it is $32.00

I just had it cut like she has tried to get me to do forever. A neckline in the back and about 2" on the sides and styled to brush to the back with bangs in front and the rest of the front is swept to the right side. Every one I know loves it.

My pictures show it as being white but keep in mind that color prints and film were VERY expensive back then.
Marge~Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #39
Master Chef

i tip $5 for brow 'waxins & trims, way more for highlighting. i adore this thread. it's so pink!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #40
Executive Chef

buckytom

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
i tip $5 for brow 'waxins & trims, way more for highlighting. i adore this thread. it's so pink!
luvs, did you notice we had ONE guy who made comment on this thread? I admire him for sharing about what his 'better half' does. He feels it is important and more men should feel that way. It surprised me to see him respond and I think that makes him the greater person for doing so. My hats off to buckytom! I'd vote for him as president any year. buckytom you heard it here.