"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #71
Assistant Cook

does anyone here have their hair foiled? how long does it take your hairdresser to do this? I love mine, but I'm usually there for THREE hours!!!!!!

Barb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #72
Assistant Cook

Foiled means what?

I permed my hair last yr and :( it turns my hairs so dry
End up i trim it off last month with new hair colour of a highlight and lowlight.
I just love my new hair colours for now

bubblygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #73
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb33
does anyone here have their hair foiled? how long does it take your hairdresser to do this? I love mine, but I'm usually there for THREE hours!!!!!!
foiled=highlights or lowlights, or both.
Depending on the processing your hairdresser uses, it is a very long process. For example, if you've got brown hair and you want blonde highlighting, your color has to be lifted (or lightened) to blonde, which is taking it from brown to orange (yes, orange) to blonde. If the hairdresser were to take off the foils or plastics before your hair got to the blonde color, you'd look like a lovely little pumpkin! She/He is using a very high volume of peroxide which has the ability to do this. Over-the-counter drugstore stuff doesn't have this strength, which is why folks who try to go from dark to light go orange (think Sun-In back in the 70's).Anyway, once you've lightened to blonde, then the color he/she is using must deposit it's molecules into your hair. All in all, it is a long process. The only way it could be sped up is if he/she could section your hair off quicker. But, if you are happy with the results, stay with your stylist! What is 3 hours, when you consider how beautiful you look for 6-8 weeks?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #74
Assistant Cook

Oh i see. so that's foiled.
I just did mine last month and the colour is getting better. When i finished, i almost fainted cause its so striking under the sun.
Usually it took me abt 3hrs cause my hair very hard to get colour in. But this round... its done within 2hrs after i changed my sylist.

bubblygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:53 AM   #75
Master Chef

Mudbug, the answer is obvious. We'll have "just five minutes" when we are stupid enough to think that hair that looks like that looks good! Hubby and I always joke that 99% of the time you can tell when men dye their hair. I personally always wonder why men bother -- dye, perms, long hair, comb-overs, implants, etc. I swear, if I could get away with a buzz cut I'd go for it! I never think men look better with these affectations (my favorite is balding men with pony-tails. The old hippie wannabe equivalent of the comb-over).

I had a weird experience, though. Last year I suffered from a huge attack of eczema & psoriasis. I lost over half my hair, which wasn't very thick to begin with. After some intensive care & treatments, I've gotten some of it back. BUT it came back curly. I've always wanted curly hair, and now I've got it. I'm not quite sure what to do with it some days!!! Hubby cut it for me yesterday morning and was shocked at how little there is of it; the curliness is a blessing, as it disguises how little of it there is.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #76
Master Chef

I have very long, blonde hair that is naturally on the very low end of the blonde scale. It only takes my hair stylist 1 1/2 hours to highlight, cut and style my hair. However, because my hair is so thick and long I shampoo and dry it before I go to my appointment.....leaving off the styling products. That way he doesn't have to go through that process of washign and drying it.....otherwise it'd probably be another 1/2 hour.

It used to take my old stylist 2 hours to do my hair.