Girls! Let's Obsess About Our Hair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I finally found someone who can cut my hair in a way that I like. I am paying about 30 bucks a pop, but it looks decent for a change instead of the usual cheapo Hair Cuttery versions I was going with for so long. How much are you willing to pay?

I have five younger sisters and every single one of them has colored their hair at least once. I am the only holdout. Is that so wrong? Even my kid (14) has had highlights put in her hair. Seems to me that once you start, you can't stop, and I'd rather spend the money on something else.

As a child of the Woodstock Nation way back in the late 60s/early 70s, I used to have that long, wavy, bury-your-face-in-it kind of hair length, but somehow it seems undignified to try to attempt that again, with the gray and all. What are your opinions?

I have colored my hair more times that I would like to count. MIL got me to start when I was 17 and my naturally blonde hair started getting dark. I don't care for when my hair is dark because after about 4 or 5 hours after showering, it starts looking greasy. My hair is very fine and straight. I have had a perm, hated it. It looks stupid on me. I've had a body wave which was okay, but, it doesn't last long for me at all. I haven't found anyone that can do my hair so that it isn't flat and lifeless within an hour of doing it without putting so much hairspray that my hair doesn't move in a windstorm.

Dang...I replied once but it's gone...
I am a barber (don't practice "officially", just on the side) so I'd be more than happy to answer any questions!

Okay, Angie, you may have just stuck your foot in your mouth:LOL:
How do you make thin, limp, straight hair, have more body without standing under a dryer and a round brush? And what makes your hair so oily looking when it's actually dry??

Texas, my hair is so fine it's pathetic. At least I have enough to cover my head, which is more than my mother ever had.
I was born blonde, but as I got older, my hair got darker, so I began coloring it. What I do now, is have it highlighted every two months.
I was always good at styling my hair, but a few years ago, I started have trouble with my shoulders, and could no longer hold my hands up over my head for any length of time to do all the curling, teasing, etc that I always did before.
It also occurred to me, that in the time I had spent over my lifetime fixing my hair, I could have written the great American novel.
So now, I have it all one length, to my shoulders, with bangs that can be swept back if I wish. I wear it down the first day, when it's clean and fluffy, in a sorta page boy that takes 5-6 curls with the curling iron. After that, I twist it up and curl the bangs.

Hints for fine hair:
Coloring your hair will give it more body.

Fine hair is usually oily too. Sprinkle a bit of baby powder (talc) around your scalp in the oily areas, scrub in with fingers as if you were washing your hair, then brush out with a fine bristled brush. It removes the oil and makes your hair look thicker.

Have your hair cut all one length...makes it look thicker.

There are a lot of new products on the market that will give your hair more body. The "Aussie" brand stuff in the purple containers has several great concoctions. Biolage as a leave in spray conditioner that I love.

Hope I helped!

We always want what we don't have, eh?

I've been blessed with a nice thick head of hair, but I wanted hair that would behave (with little effort on my part). For years I craved "Asian" hair - long, straight, black, silky (with blue eyes, which I also didn't get).

Most days now, it's always a surprise as to what version of "bed" hair I am going to wake up with. Yeah, it's got body, but it's a body with a mind of its own!

My hair is predictable. When I shampoo and condition, my hair always comes out full and dry. I have to add oil to my hair to make it straight again. I dye my hair mabye twice a year, and can never find the right color for me. I usually go with dark brown, which is my natural hair color, but ya know, as you get older you want something that looks more like your actual age. Havent found a good hairdresser. I want someone that can tell me what would look good for my age, how to highlight, color, etc. I think it's easier if your naturally blonde because if you dye your hair blonde or highlight it, it doesnt show the gray so much, but with dark hair, what does one do? I know I am suppose to go lighter, but that usually means a reddish color, which doesnt look natural at all on me.

texasgirl said:
Okay, Angie, you may have just stuck your foot in your mouth:LOL:
How do you make thin, limp, straight hair, have more body without standing under a dryer and a round brush? And what makes your hair so oily looking when it's actually dry??

AHH! So we have the same hair! :LOL:

Constance is right, coloring it WILL add body. See, the outer layer of the hair is the cuticle. The color must penetrate into the cuticle for perminate color. Once you open up that cuticle, more body!!!

Do you ever clarify your hair? If not, I suggesting getting a clarifying shampoo and using it once a week. That will get rid of any product build up and minerals from your water as well.

I HATE the way my hair feels with product in it, but I have found that my hair looks so much fuller with product.

I use a light hold gel and a root booster. The gel will support your style. I blow dry upside down and since I HATE a round brush I use a "hot air brush", you know, a round brush curling iron!

Does that help?

I have one of those hairdrying brushes. I just never use it LOL
I'll have to see if I can find a clarifier. Thanks!!

Sure thing.

One thing to look for in the ingredients is grapefruit (or any citrus) extract. That really helps clean it good.

And, don't worry about a salon brand over another brand (Great Clips or Cost Cutter's brand over Kenra, etc)...You are only using it once a week so it's just find to get a less expensive one.

Oh, I have layers and love them. With layers, the weight of my hair doesn't weigh it down!

The gal who does my hair really knows her hair color, she highlights my hair every 6 months..It's a reverse type hilite job, I have a white area in the front of my head so she puts in color to make it look like what it was as a younger person. I love the way she colors, no peroxide at all!!! My hair is one length to my collar and turns under, no bangs, my hair is thin now due to diabetes and all the meds and it drives me crazy having to fool with it every day..Long gone are the ponytail days:LOL: But, I can't complain to much at least I have hair:ROFLMAO: Plus at my age hair all pulled back is not a good thing:LOL: Speaking of hair I'm now due for a cut, I look like the shaggy dog...:(

kadesma

mudbug said:
We always want what we don't have, eh?

Well, I should tell you mudbug, that until this very topic, I thought you were a boy! Sorry! That comment of yours made me laugh out loud, especially after just learning that you were a female. :LOL:

BC

welp, mud, i get mine cut/dyed at a day spa & it is $$$$$; so is my salon in my new city. they're excellent. i have had hair of many shades, & recently my tresses that were a light brown for most of my 25 went to a lt. black on thier own. it's great so i'm rather done w/ changing my shade. yet, i gravitate towards those hairdyes like they're magnetic or ask my stylist 'bout colorings when i went on a pretense of getting my eyebrows sugared (not that mine aren't naturally contoured :whistling ). yes, muds, it is an addiction.:LOL:
i prefer medium-ish so i can put it in cute styles. in hairties with my ends in glittery pins!:w00t: it's thickening fast recently!
ask your salonstylist what suits you. many uppity ones are great with advice.:)

Last edited:
Angie, I definately agree with you on clarifying shampoos, especially since I use alot of product to tame my hair. I also like the haircut you have, layers, it does tend to keep the hair lighter weight, bouncy and behaving :)

amber said:
Angie, I definately agree with you on clarifying shampoos, especially since I use alot of product to tame my hair. I also like the haircut you have, layers, it does tend to keep the hair lighter weight, bouncy and behaving :)

Here are my layers...although I did give my self bangs this morning...

Attachments

• 3b6e520b.jpg
    3b6e520b.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 212
BlueCat said:
Well, I should tell you mudbug, that until this very topic, I thought you were a boy! Sorry! That comment of yours made me laugh out loud, especially after just learning that you were a female. :LOL:

BC

HEHE, go look in the member's photos, you'll see mudbug. She's all woman!!:)

kleenex, then we'd obsess about our eyebrow waxing, dieting, Sally's twins & what kinda calories that drink contained.:LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom