Give someone a fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
The saying goes something like this - give a man a fish and you've fed him for a meal. Teach a man to fish and you've fed him for a lifetime.

Well, I've got another one: Pay the money to purchase everything to build a high-end, custom fly rod, and you've spent a month's worth of food money. You better be able to catch some fish when you're done building that rod, or you'll be very hungry. As snow is falling here, I think I'll be losing some weight.:ermm::LOL: :LOL:n the plus side, I am going to have a sweet fly rod.:punk:

The rod, when completed, will be worth about $750 It cost me half that to purchase the materials. This rod has to look good when it's done, or I'll be a very unhappy guy.:rolleyes:
Funny, my Step-father used to love Winston. His was made from tobaco and paper. I thing Winston is tops, but mine is made from carbon fiber, resin, steel, boron, epoxy, and silk. It won't taste very good. But it will still bring pleasure.

Buck, what a project that would be to do with your boy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Fly fishing is for trout, am I correct? I hate trout. Therefore, I shall not be spending any money on a fly fishing rod. But, I hope you get many hours of enjoyment from yours.

CD

Oh, I wish I had the time. My dad used to make his own flies, and he bequeathed me his custom made rods, mostly surfcasters. And a bamboo rod in a balsa wood box, I think from from Ireland. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Hey, I have an idea. Let me talk to my wife. Maybe I can twist an argument enough that appears to catch her doing something that wastes money enough so that I can convince her to let me buy a custom rod from you.

Would you be interested in building a rod for sale?

After you make yours, of course. Learn from all of the mistakes on the first run... Lol.

I just got this a s Fakebook memory today from 2 years ago. This was a lunker he caught under the fueling dock as my wife and I were cleaning out the boat for winterization.

I heard him shout, "Holy F'n Sh**" from half way across the little marina. I ran over to see what was going on and scold him for his language when I saw him pull this one up.

1016161647c.jpg

I told him that the use of foul language is normally the tool of the stupid or corrupt, but there are certain acceptable cases otherwise, and this was one.

Booyah!

And he caught it on a little Sunfish/trout hook using bits of hot dog.

I just got this a s Fakebook memory today from 2 years ago. This was a lunker he caught under the fueling dock as my wife and I were cleaning out the boat for winterization.

I heard him shout, "Holy F'n Sh**" from half way across the little marina. I ran over to see what was going on and scold him for his language when I saw him pull this one up.

View attachment 31870

I told him that the use of foul language is normally the tool of the stupid or corrupt, but there are certain acceptable cases otherwise, and this was one.

Booyah!

And he caught it on a little Sunfish/trout hook using bits of hot dog.

What's a "lunker?" A quick Google search brought up the "Urban Dictionary" definition, which would not look like that (but might come from a river in NY).

From the photo, it looks like what we call a bass down here.

Most important, though -- does it taste good, and if so, how does one cook it.

Confession: Almost all of my fishing has been in the Gulf of Mexico. Red Snapper -- my favorite fish. Yeah, I caught a biggass shark, once. Been there, done that -- total waste of two hours of my life, in hindsight.

Advice to people who want to try eating shark... get them while they are young and small. The meat is actually not bad at that size (that is not me in the photo below, but those shark steaks were pretty good).

We had enormous catfish in Lake Livingston, where we had our lake-house. I'm talking 10 to 20 pounders, but they taste like crap.

CD

Attachments

• Sharks.jpg
    Sharks.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 159
Most sharks are inedible as they get an ammonia taste after dying.

Those look like really immature reef sharks. (Like totally.)
:rolleyes:

If their tails weren't black-ish, I'd have said those were Smooth Dogfish. We catch those all the time when going after fluke.

A lunker is a general term for a really big largemouth bass. Aka a hawg.

Are you sure you're from the south, now?

Last edited:
Most sharks are inedible as they get an ammonia taste after dying.

Those look like really immature reef sharks. (Like totally.)
:rolleyes:

If their tails weren't black-ish, I'd have said those were Smooth Dogfish. We catch those all the time when going after fluke.

A lunker is a general term for a really big largemouth bass. Aka a hawg.

Are you sure you're from the south, now?

I have lived all over. Down here, a bass is a bass -- as far as I know. As I said, I'm not a river/lake fisherman, so I don't know what's what. I do know that many a Texan will spend $50K on a Bass Boat that can do 70mph -- I guess bass can swim pretty darn fast!

I like fishing 50 too 100 miles offshore down here. The oil rigs are great places to fish, and the "Flower Gardens" (about 100 miles south of Galveston, are great breeding grounds for fish. Oh, those are coral reefs.

It is hard to say what kind of shark those were, because there are dozens of types along the Gulf coast of Texas. People call them all kinds of things, but who knows if they are right. I just know that the small ones taste okay, and the big ones are a PITA.

CD

Fisherman's logic:

Are you a righty or lefty, Casey?

I had to Google that. I have only used a rod with a right-handed reel. Not sure how it matters... especially to the fish. :huh:

Sorry, but no smarta$$ reply. I my a$$ doesn't know enough about fishing to pull a funny reply out of. :mrgreen:

CD

Fisherman's logic:

Are you a righty or lefty, Casey?

"Oh, you Can't always get what you want.
No you can't always get what you want.
You can't always get what you want.
But if you try sometimes,
you just might find,
you get what you need
oh yeh, you get what you need.

I need a new 20 year old body to replace this one.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Heya, Brother. I was unable to find the Etsy site.

Can you post a direct link here? Others may want to look as well.

I had to Google that. I have only used a rod with a right-handed reel. Not sure how it matters... especially to the fish. :huh:

Sorry, but no smarta$$ reply. I my a$$ doesn't know enough about fishing to pull a funny reply out of. :mrgreen:

CD

Ok, so you're a car guy.

Did you ever hear the one about when a penguin was driving his little penguin car through town, and it broke down, so he brought it to the local garage and went for a walk?

Back
Top Bottom