"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I do the same as uncle Bob but with a handful of small treats as a spur. He is so desperate to get the treat that the pill goes down and stays down.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
What worked for us, with my mom's dog, was to put butter on the pill, blow in her nose (to get her to open her mouth), then push the pill as far back into her mouth as we could.

Barbara
I did try the butter technique too, she spit it out

Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This works every time with our black Lab - encase the pill in peanut butter. She'll lick her chops for the next 10 minutes.
I hadn't thought of peanut butter. These pills are big, told my hubby the pills looks like it is for a horse.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Vet

When I think my dog is going to give me a fit, I call the vet and ask what he suggests I do to get his prescription down the dog's throat. Maybe he can prescribe substitute for this medication. It does happen that they do things so routinely it takes someone with unique problem to bring to their attention. you want the dog to take it forget about how you feel about asking his help. That is what he is there for. You are the one with the dog that NEEDS the medicine. Seems you have tried everything. If that fails, go back to the source. I wouldn't worry about what he thinks it is what you pay for that matters. Had to drink glass of wine everytime gave my dogs injections twice day for insulin. Vet told me I can't have you bring the dog in everytime he need insulin. I learned how to give them the injections. Something i never ever wanted to do.

good luck
Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I forgot to add that along with the butter we also did as pacanis did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If the dog is spitting the pill out you aren't pushing it in far enough... And then like said, hold their mouth closed until they swallow and I always rub the throat, too...
Barbara
Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #16
Executive Chef

When you open mouth put the bottom of your thumb on the roof of their mouth about half way and hold the middle of the nose with the rest of your hand over the top of the nose and press with thumb they can't close their mouth that way tilt head back and pop pill to back of throat close mouth and hold shut blow in their nose and rub under neck. Works almost everytime.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I "pilled" my dog for the first pill, but for the two I had to give at dinertime I just threw them in her bowl. That works, too, if your dog puts their nose in the bowl until they're done
Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
gave my dogs injections twice day for insulin. Vet told me I can't have you bring the dog in everytime he need insulin. I learned how to give them the injections. Something i never ever wanted to do.

good luck
I had 3 cats over the years that I had to give Sub Q fluids at home. Sub Q is fluids under the skin, with the IV bag and needle . Also had to syringe feed cats, one had a tube in his neck , fed him thru the tube. The others were fed thru the mouth. I did what had to be done to care for the cats. I've had other dogs, I didn't have trouble with them with meds. This 66 lb mutt was not even our dog originally, it was hubby's deceased brother's dog.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I "pilled" my dog for the first pill, but for the two I had to give at dinertime I just threw them in her bowl. That works, too, if your dog puts their nose in the bowl until they're done
not my dog , she will avoid the pill . She is a picky eater.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Ackkk, I hate picky eaters....

Maybe for future pills you need to get yourself one of these to keep on hand
It's pill popper, or gun.
Attached Images