"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:22 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I am obese.

18 months ago I was morbidly obese with a BMI of 46, now it's 33.

How many days per year did I eat fast food? Less than 10.

I got fat eating home cooking, medicating my emotional issues with food, and not moving my body.

I was, bizarrely, a healthy obese person. Perhaps having age on my side helped but my blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol was all within a healthy range. I hardly ever went to the doctor, I work full time, I'm not a drain on the countries medical resources.

I decided to something about my weight whilst I was still healthy, still able to exercise, and didn't have any mitigating factors which might prevent a healthy, moderate rate of weight loss.

As a formerly morbidly obese person, I think the problem is very complex. Once you are morbidly obese, your lifestyle has developed in such a way that you can't see any way out. Much like an alcoholic or a smoker, you can't see yourself living any other way. it is possible to break out of that, but it's hard.

And with obesity, and we've seen ample evidence in this thread, there is such a stigma, and a culture of blame. What is the point making the obese person feel even crappier about themselves than they do already?

I'd liek to see a posititive approach to weight loss for the morbidly obese, one that supports the individual to re educate themselves, to receive lifestyle advice, and to learn to love themselves as they are now, right at this moment.

I have said many times that losing a lot of weight is much easier from a position of self love and acceptance than self hatred and loathing.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jen
You know my problem with obesity is that there isnt enough information. Sure every doc will tell you

This is due to an underlying medical issue like thyroids hormones and metabolism.
there are drugs like t-3 and t-4 for people with thyroid problems

as for metabolism, its like anything else..some people work out only get average gains..some people get huge and strong

the people with the metabolism problem just have to be that much stronger..and eat healthy..you dont even have to exercise a bunch

most fat people you say they are on a diet, or eating healthy, etc, just say that to save face, in secret, they wolf down anything in sight.... they aren't honest..which gives people with true metabolism disadvantages bad names

If i appear a little heated on this, its because im from houston one of the fattest cities in the WORLD..and i get sick and tired of seeing these 35-40 year old 400lb people rolling around the grocer on those little machines..parking in handycap spts....for god;s sake do thing about your self How do these people clean their bodies?

very unfortunate

Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
I am obese.

18 months ago I was morbidly obese with a BMI of 46, now it's 33.

How many days per year did I eat fast food? Less than 10.

I got fat eating home cooking, medicating my emotional issues with food, and not moving my body.

I was, bizarrely, a healthy obese person. Perhaps having age on my side helped but my blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol was all within a healthy range. I hardly ever went to the doctor, I work full time, I'm not a drain on the countries medical resources.

I decided to something about my weight whilst I was still healthy, still able to exercise, and didn't have any mitigating factors which might prevent a healthy, moderate rate of weight loss.

As a formerly morbidly obese person, I think the problem is very complex. Once you are morbidly obese, your lifestyle has developed in such a way that you can't see any way out. Much like an alcoholic or a smoker, you can't see yourself living any other way. it is possible to break out of that, but it's hard.

And with obesity, and we've seen ample evidence in this thread, there is such a stigma, and a culture of blame. What is the point making the obese person feel even crappier about themselves than they do already?

I'd liek to see a posititive approach to weight loss for the morbidly obese, one that supports the individual to re educate themselves, to receive lifestyle advice, and to learn to love themselves as they are now, right at this moment.

I have said many times that losing a lot of weight is much easier from a position of self love and acceptance than self hatred and loathing.
you dont look obese in that pic.... what is the UK's definition of obese?

i mean@ 6' 220 i may be obese over there
Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles

I got fat eating home cooking,
this is a REALLY SIMPLY piece of advice i will offer obese people.

I gained 50lbs over two years moving in with my fiancee. all home cooking, but heavy alcohol consumption. i just LOVE FOOD.

Well these days, i eat food JUST AS GOOD, but in a different way.

instead of

butter

bread

potatoes

sugar

soft drinks

pizza

cream

milk

i eat things like this - JUST AS MUCH FLAvpr

chicken breast, bone in, skin on them. Just peel it off

95% lean hamburger meat

vinegar

hot sauce

mushrooms

onions

garlic

carrots

bas

o poi
Old 09-05-2006, 05:52 AM   #15
Head Chef

lost 30lns in 2 months for. eat small meals when i want to
Old 09-05-2006, 06:23 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
In that pic I'm about 210 lbs. I was 262 lbs and 5'4'', obese in any country!!!! I've always had a fairly slim face, you should have seen my hips! "caution wide load"!!!

And your preaching to choir with your food suggestions!!! LOL!!!

I used to cook with a lot of butter and cream. I still use a bit of butter, but no cream. And I used to bake - and then eat the produce.

Unfortunately, because I have polycistic ovary syndrome, weight loss is terribly slow. I have lost 64 lbs and have about 40 or so to go.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:31 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
... what is the UK's definition of obese?

i mean@ 6' 220 i may be obese over there
I believe the definition of obese is the same, but not sure. We use BMI charts. BUT we do have different, narrow bands for things like thyroid function. In US someone being treated for thyroid problems might come with in our "normal" band because it is a much smaller that in US, and I am told, much of the rest of the world. Thus, my mother, who returned to her doctor repeatedly over the last ten years with a goitre was told her thyroid was functioning, but now they are removing the whole gland this month: because it doesn't work both my sister (very slim) and I both fall with in the US treatable range but outside UK range where tests read normal. My sister gets her thryroxin when she is in US and remains very very slim. We also do not get medifcal treatment for other weight effecting issues, like PCOS, a women's syndrom, that I think is treated with the diabetic drug metformin in US. These are the two I know about.

Lifestyle and diet do of course still play the biggest part in these things, I do not mean to undermine them: still the bottom line.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:34 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Kyles, you have done so well and I bet you feel so much better.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
Kyles, you have done so well and I bet you feel so much better.
I second that, Licia, Kyles, I wish you could be a mentor for our poor Lucilla, Cristiano's 10 year old daughter!! (150cm/5' - 77kg/170lb)

She is one of the more complex victim of obesity, she doesn't gorge on junk foods, and while her diet seems to be quite unbalanced (she lives with her mother) she doesn't eat THAT much to be so overweight. And while she is never a sportive type, she is passively active and plays with her friends outside often and doesn't spend all her time sitting in front of the telly. She has been to numerous, various testings at hospitals in search of possible cause however nothing definitive has come out and we are still in the dark as to why she is in this condition and we are becoming desperate, as she is not getting any thinner, and at this age she could become more and more self conscious and develop some serious psychological problems.

And Lucilla is not alone. Childhood obesity has become a major problem also in Italy (it became the leading "fat" country around Europe, according to the statistics). To combat this problem, for a start, along with the common sense "eat healthy and in moderation" and "exercise more" of course, I think proper education on nutritions needs to be incorporated at schools. This is something very undervalued and overlooked at this stage, it is something absolutely essential to one's wellbeing and everyone needs to have a proper knowledge as to how to manage their own health. And with this program being present, schools will have no excuse to serve unhealthy lunches to the students.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #20
Contest Winner

Smile

For one, being obese is Gross. You can't move around without breathing heavy, they generally smell bad, they eat 40lbs of junk food, etc. Also, it is causing the health industry god knows how many millions to get all new equipment for fat people. More on health industry, as far as i know, obese people pay normal premiums dont they? Why should I, who has been to the hospital twice, and the doctor 3 times, im 15 years, pay the same health insurance as some 400 lb walking heart attack?

Let me share something with you, "MyLegsBig" I am working on my weight and yes I have ate to much at times "BUFFETS ARE A KILLER" stay away from them . When I was 14 years old there was a kid in school who stab me twice in class when the teacher had to run to the office for a minute. When they asked him why he did it he said, "Because I wanted to see if he would (POP)" Everyone in class started to laugh, That moment crushed my spirit for a while. I pay much more in insurance rates because of my size and I haven't been to the Hospital in 20 years except to visit others. And I will be the first one to agree we need to work on weight problems.
Be a friend I can tell you no one wants to be under or overweight.
Just say no to Rudeness theres no place or reason for it, Thats a much bigger problem in our world today !