"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 AM   #21
Cook

My husband gave up smoking about 12 years ago. Since then he has gradually put on weight. He is now having problems with his hip joints, but won't see a doctor. He needs to lose weight. I'm really worried. If it gets to the stage where he can't walk, I'm not big enough to lift him.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #22
Contest Winner

Smile

Its a must to get him on the move, He needs to get into the water or on a exercise bike. He needs to lift his legs and arms even while sitting will help. He will be stiff at first for a while, Asprin if he can take it should be taken within 30 minutes after a workout to help pain. Encourage him as much as possible but do not nag him. Water it sounds like is his best way to go right now. It is a perfect exercise for you both ! Help him help himself ! You will be glad you did. You may have to push him for a while but you will be glad you did it in a loving way !

Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #23
Head Chef

Kyles, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! Youve done an excellent job!
Sorry about the loopy post. My Post-op surgery pain pills are pretty strong.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #24
Head Chef

Maid, it's nothing personal. It's a multitude of people and situations and complaining that brings about my heated attitude.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #25
Executive Chef

it's food it's genetics it's a whole lot of things, and a constant battle, but I can win it.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
See i read these thread and im almost embarassed by the amount of people who are ignorant.

Kyles i applaud you for your weight loss I too suffer from bad PCOS and im a cancer survivor. My weight came on with those 2 things combined

i dont smell bad
im probably fitter aka can run walk climb swim etc then most "skinny people" Remember being skinny doesnt mean your in shape!
I dont go out and "pig out" infact i can eat salads and gain 10 lbs its just my genetic make up"

Quote:
For one, being obese is Gross. You can't move around without breathing heavy, they generally smell bad, they eat 40lbs of junk food, etc. Also, it is causing the health industry god knows how many millions to get all new equipment for fat people. More on health industry, as far as i know, obese people pay normal premiums dont they? Why should I, who has been to the hospital twice, and the doctor 3 times, im 15 years, pay the same health insurance as some 400 lb walking heart attack?
This just baffles me.. So im overweight.. but what about the skinny person whos addictited to drugs should she pay more as well?

Not all overweight ppl eat "40lbs of junkfood".

I think your comments are very out of line and lord hopes that you never gain a pound!!

My problem with BMI is it isnt very accurate. they say that a woman who is 5'5 who weights over 150 is overweight.. they dont take into consideration Frame if they play rugby or anything like that.. I think BMI is just not advanced enough to use to judge things.

In the uk this week they released an article about IVF saying woman who are overweight cannot have this treatment.. meanwhile they dont take into consideration people like Kyles and i who have PCOS and all though our BMI might not be the best we are still very healthy people

society as a whole needs a lesson IMHO
Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #27
Head Chef

I have PCOS too,(as well as the thyroid issue...fate had it in for me!) I was diagnosed while I had a more "urgent" problem, by a private doctor. Unfortunately it took for me to be unhealthy to have the weight gain. BUT while I was skinny I did not lead a healthy lifestyle, I eat more healthily now. To maintain the weight I used to be I ate only branflakes or apples through the week and chose either to have a meal out or a drink with friends...on Saturdays. I would cook but not eat. How can that be as healthy as eating balanced meals of fruit and veg? In addition I ran three times a week, I had a personal trainer twice a week, I riode race horses every morning (harder work than hacking a leisure horse) and played polo once or twice a week. That was a lot of exercise on not much food.....probably why I got so ill, which in turn led to my weight gain.

Its very easy to say fat = bad (and again, I am not saying it is good, or even ok, we should be tackling it) but we have to see WHY and how to deal with it. Its like saying thin=healthy, and I for one KNOW that isn't true.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:54 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Some things we can all do - we can change our habits -perhaps not all at the same time, but we can begin to eat the right things, drink the right amounts of water, do more exercise than we have been doing. Every day with a few changes makes the next days a bit better, maybe a little bit sore to start, but exercising those out feel great too. When we see a bit of progress it is so encouraging. When I was diagnosed with arthritis, I had gone thru a period not knowing if I would ever be able to do my own housework again, if I would ever feel like playing with my grandchildren like I wanted, or anything else. I was so tired and also my muscles were weak. I am only about 30 lbs overweight, but believe me that makes a difference. I started using the treadmill a bit at the time, then I decided to do the water class. I've only lost about 15 lbs, but my bp is down, cholesterol is down, sugar is down, my strength is so much better. I KNOW I didn't feel like exercising when I started, but I decided it would be my job to restore as much of my health as I could. It is important to remember that everything we do to improve our health is measureable in some way or another. We may not live longer, but we may have a healthier life. That makes a big difference to our family and friends, both as a role model and just feeling better while we are around them. We all need encouragement also.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Whooo! Ive just arrived back after a hard day slaving over chutney pots...
and find that I didn't explain myself properly. Sorry guys and girls!

My concern was over obesity. The link was from Yahoo-Uk, and basically stated that obesity is the next Worldwide Pandemic. I'm NOT talking eating disorders, illnesses, post-surgical after-effects, genetic pass-ons, I'm talking obesity in perfectly normal people; ie, those who should not be obese but are so because they do no exercise, eat all the wrong things and pig out when ever possible. Repeat, NOT anything medically induced!
( Now I sound like that Monty Python sketch: " That is my question, Chris, which I am asking, and the question I'm asking is the same one...")

Regarding obesity, I wonder what would happen if the Extreme Measures applied successfully to smokers were applied to obesity. What would it be like if you couldn't go into a restaurant unless you weighed less than 180 lbs?
What would it be like if, when ever you bought a bag of crisps or pretzels or nachos, there was a Statutory Government Health Warning on the back? What would happen if there was a huge sign on the Bacon Counter saying " Sales Prohibited to Under-18s"?? What would you do if, for example, you walked into McDonalds and there was a huge photo of the after-effects of a liposuction planted over the "Combos" sign?
Am I making myself clearer than yesterday, I wonder...

Just that I felt extremely concerned about the over-eating thing. I'm fortunate that I have a wonderful metabolisim which burns everything in sight and only allows my beergut to grow minutely every year...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #30
Contest Winner

Talking

I don't really get upset with anyone, (UNLESS THEY HURT MY BARBARA OR OUR DAUGHTERS ) then its "GRIZZLY BEAR TIME ". Other than that I am a Big Teddy Bear . I Love All People and thats In My Nature too ! Big Buns, Big Hips, BIG HEART ! Have a "MAIDRITE DAY"