"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

and chef jen, i think you should be taxed for serving crappy coffee! (j/k )

all kidding aside, it could happen when you begin to ask your government to protect you from yourself. they don't know when to stop.

your comparing alcohol to food arguement is weak. i've never seen anyone crash because they had too many greasy hot dogs.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:03 AM   #42
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
your comparing alcohol to food arguement is weak. i've never seen anyone crash because they had too many greasy hot dogs.
Really??? Go see any cardiologist will tell you heart attacks clogged artries.. Sugar shocks etc all make you "crash"

and like i said i know food doesnt get you drunk.. but too much wrong food has the same effect as too much alchol (liver issues, kidney issues, blood pressure) The list goes on

:)

Old 09-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

umm, i meant crash a car.

not a sugar rush/crash. never heard of anyone who was arrested for being cranky and tired. (otherwise, dw would be in sing sing... lol)

and too much of the right food will do the same.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #44
Head Chef

Well. I have been thinking about this, and I agree with Kyles. The fact that we have an NHS in UK is relevant, in the extreme, to how we percieve the governments role in fighting obesity.
I am the last person to become nanny-stateish, but I can see why if someone is paying for my healthcare and they are really ghealthy and I abuse my body its going to annoy them. Where as, I might not like risks they take. It kind of makes sense that we have a compulsory insurance scheme, me paying a fat premium, another guy paying a skiing premiun etc. I suppose though, you run back to where you started with people who cannot afford it, and means tested health...its the same arguements again. While we are tackling the problem it seems fundamentally wrong we treat with surgery and humiliation what we should be tackling with support, lifestyle help and encouragment, AND before it gets so that people have such huge amounts to lose. The idea of losing, say 30 lbs, seems so much less daunting than losing a hundred pounds, if we had processes that encouraged people to seek help at that early stages, with out fear of humilation and degradation would it help? It would help me.

And agree, with Eurpeoan farming facing such economic pressure a tax on processed foods would seem like a good way to go economically, rather than a bizarre set of economic regimes based on production of certain products....I know our system for farming grants etc has recently changed, but I don't understand in which way.

when I was a student, when many of my contemporaries were feeding themselves for the first time, food choices were definitely made economically and one cn only hope this did not set patterns or life-eating plans. I know someone who used to buy cheap white bread, cheap margerine to fill up on and a supermarket brand multipack bag of crisps for each day of the week.....his weekly groceries cost under 10 quid, he was always very proud of that. I think if that has set his eating pattern for life then wow, is he missing out on some wonderful food, and wow, is he going to be unhealthy. Its hard for me as a food lover to understand that for some people food is sustanance and they will buy the cheapest fuel possible for their bodies. But I am sure it happens.

My views on this are all over the place, and certainly over influenced by personal situation....but then, thats the problem....more and more people find themselves in this uncomfortable situation.

Kyles: you are very, very inspirational.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:24 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

inspirationally agreed. i wish i could summon kyles' discipline of late.
you've taken personal responsibility for your health, which was my point in the first place. we need less government (for a myriad of reasons), more personal responsibility.
i guess it's a european thing, probably due to proximity and gnp, where you need to trust your government to lead you the right way. just a thought.
i don't think that'll ever work in the u.s..

Old 09-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #46
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
well remember bucky im canadian.. and our govt in canada influence us the Canadian food guide.. is preached daily in dr offices...

its not about trusting but its nice to see the govt make positive steps to change our lifes :)
Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
IThe approaches of doctors usually leave a lot to be desired, I wonder just how much time they get in medical school devoted to teaching people how to manage their weight?
I would love to hear that I am wrong on this point, because I do not have recent information on this, but there are four MD's in my extended family and they report they had NO required courses in nutrition in medical school. My BIL, who is a neurologist, has an intense interest in nutrition as well as all non-western approaches to medicine, tried very hard to take one of two elective classes offered in nutrition when he was in medical school in the late 1980's and was not able to schedule them.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
Some things we can all do - we can change our habits -perhaps not all at the same time, but we can begin to eat the right things, drink the right amounts of water, do more exercise than we have been doing. Every day with a few changes makes the next days a bit better, maybe a little bit sore to start, but exercising those out feel great too. When we see a bit of progress it is so encouraging. When I was diagnosed with arthritis, I had gone thru a period not knowing if I would ever be able to do my own housework again, if I would ever feel like playing with my grandchildren like I wanted, or anything else. I was so tired and also my muscles were weak. I am only about 30 lbs overweight, but believe me that makes a difference. I started using the treadmill a bit at the time, then I decided to do the water class. I've only lost about 15 lbs, but my bp is down, cholesterol is down, sugar is down, my strength is so much better. I KNOW I didn't feel like exercising when I started, but I decided it would be my job to restore as much of my health as I could. It is important to remember that everything we do to improve our health is measureable in some way or another. We may not live longer, but we may have a healthier life. That makes a big difference to our family and friends, both as a role model and just feeling better while we are around them. We all need encouragement also.
Excellent advice, thanks for posting!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #49
Chief Eating Officer

Just a quick reminder that we should not be discussing politics on the board. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #50
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Oops I hold my hands up on that one.

I think though, that this debate has been a productive one.

As keen cooks we are in a unique position to let our loved ones, friends, and community members aware of just how easy it is to produce a healthy, cost-effective meal.

Perhaps that should be an October challenge, cook a meal for one family or person who could eat better, then give them the recipe!