"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I've been sitting outside on my front porch barefoot and in shorts for the last couple of hours. It's lovely here but it was a little chilly last night - 40s. Still, I don't think it's global warming - it's just Texas!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Scratch that. I'll leave the heat down and take a ride down I35 to visit Terry!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
Head Chef

I wish we would just get some snow here. The only thing we have been getting the past few years are those annoying ice or 2 inch snow storms during rush hour just to make your commute more difficult, that melt away the next day. I dont mind the cold as long as there is a foot of snow on the ground. Cold without snow??? ID rather have 75F no humidity.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Scratch that. I'll leave the heat down and take a ride down I35 to visit Terry!!!
Well, there you go. Come on down! The weather here makes it worth battling scorpions, rattle snakes, tarantulas and all the other creepy crawlies we contend with.

BTW, I live downtown and I can see I35 from my deck!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
(*Note: This is NOT a thread about whether or not we believe in Global Warming, we tried that once and it was ugly. If you post about that your post will likely disappear, sorry!)
Boo hoo. You just took away my joy. I have an opinion about that if anyone wants to listen to my rant. PM me and pull up a chair. Does this mean I can finally put my summer wardrobe away? Iwas so counting on warm Mediterranean breezes along the shore of Lake Erie.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Everymom

LOL Joe...I'm ready to hear it...send that PM my way.

Seriously though folks, this is NOT a thread about climate change. The title is tongue in cheek. I just didn't want to post something like, "Alix's Big Whine About Being Cold!" Which is of course what I really SHOULD have named this thread!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #17
Master Chef

Hmmmmm me likey that title! LOL. But man what about those nut jobs on the news doing their winter 'dips' into Lake Michigan or Erie or the Atlantic??? Geeeezzzzzzzzz!!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #18
Head Chef

What I don't understand are the nuts who walk around in shorts when it is cold out. For example, leaving my office building 2 days before Christmas, I saw a guy in SHORTS, sandals and a fleece jacket. The kicker was he had on a hat - like that will help him stay warm. It was probably 35 degrees out.
And no, he was not a homeless person (just not very intelligent!)
Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
What I don't understand are the nuts who walk around in shorts when it is cold out. For example, leaving my office building 2 days before Christmas, I saw a guy in SHORTS, sandals and a fleece jacket. The kicker was he had on a hat - like that will help him stay warm. It was probably 35 degrees out.
And no, he was not a homeless person (just not very intelligent!)
It has nothing to do with intelligence. Different people feel temps differently. When I was in college in NH I never wore socks and often wore shorts. There is a picture of a few friends and me standing next to a snow drift that was 15 feet over our heads. We are all in sandals and shorts with short sleeve shirts. We were not doing it to be funny. We were all from Northers states and very used to the cold. We had dressed like that for years and were used to it. We did not feel cold dressed like that in very cold weather. The kicker is, once you start to dress warmer your body adapts and you can not longer dress like it was summer. Once I started putting on socks I HAD to wear socks.

And yes a hat will help him stay warm. Haven't you ever heard that the majority of heat loss comes from your head?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
Head Chef

Yes, I believe shmobol warming is the correct technical term

It is frrrrrreeeeeezzzzzzing, here too!