"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Everymom

Global warming Shmobal warming!!!! ARGH!

OK, I've had it! We've had one of the coldest months on record here! Its been -20C or colder for over a MONTH!!!! Our gas bill is nearly triple what it was last December and my feet are so cold I could make ice in a hot tub! Today its a blistering -22C (-7.6F) with windchill making it feel like -32C (-25.6F). I'm used to cold weather in the winter but we usually get a cold snap for a while then it warms up a bit. There was a ONE DAY warm up where it got to -10C (14F) and we were all happy and excited. Then that night it cratered and its been colder since! BAH! I'm REALLY not a happy girl. Can you tell? LOL.

Who else is having weird unseasonable weather this winter?

(*Note: This is NOT a thread about whether or not we believe in Global Warming, we tried that once and it was ugly. If you post about that your post will likely disappear, sorry!)

Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Master Chef

We're not having it too bad here, just a lot of ups and downs, but we've had some tough winters in the past, and my husband and I both had to be out in it.
I sure feel for you, Alix! Don't you get sick and tired of having to put on all those clothes?! You have to plan 20 minutes ahead just to go to the bathroom!

If you kind find some PolarTek socks, they will keep your feet warm!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

This has been the year of ice for us. We had a huge ice storm a few weeks back that left some people without power for weeks. Monday morning Both my wife and I almost got into accidents before we even got off the driveway because everything was iced over. Today I am working from home because we are having sleet, freezing rain and ice ice ice. I am thinking of selling my tires and putting sled rails on my car instead.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Everymom

I'll look for those Constance thanks.

You know, I think what irritates me most is that you have to dress for -ajillion to be outside driving etc, and when I get to work the heat is cranked up and it feels like the tropics there! Seriously, the kids wear shorts. I wear layers, but even then its stinking hot in there. You leave work and breathe that cold air and for a brief moment it feels good, then the second breath nearly freezes your lungs!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Everymom

Yike GB thats nasty! We had a city councillor once who suggested we ice over all our roads and have everyone skate to work. Needless to say he was laughed at A LOT! It sounds like that might be what works for you right now though.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Master Chef

I hear you , Alix ! Everything is one sheet of ice here too, more icy rain coming down.
Driveway is ice and I don't think the UPS is going to show up today when he sees my driveway.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Executive Chef

It is cold for us here as well. Not like Alix, we are only going down to about -5C. The pre school is held in a big community hall, though and it takes for ever to heat up. I pu the heating on at 6am and the hall was 14C when we got in and inched its way up to 16C by 12. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.
We have had the heating on at home more these last two weeks than just about the whole of last January.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Just remember in a system as complex as our biosphere you can't take a local snap shot and make it apply to the entire system.

If I wanted to do that I could take two snap shots, both in north east Ohio, one when I was a child and we had 2~3 feet of snow on Thanksgiving that didn't go away till about March, and another picture of, decades later, me riding my motorcycle at 1 am the day after Thanksgiving in a jacket.

It seems to be the year for ice and freezing rain in NE Ohio too. I keep in mind how, if it were colder the freezing rain would be snow and no one would think anything of it. But thats a snap shot ....

I can take cold, and I can take wet, but I can't take cold and wet. Humid cold just makes things miserable. I've worked outside in sub zero that hasn't bothered me as bad as when the atmospheric moisture was in a meta state.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We have had a few cold days, but not too cold. A few nights it got down into the 20s (I think two days in the teens), but over all it has been unseasonably warm. Many nights in the last few weeks the low has been as high as 58 degrees F. We have left the windows open and had the fan running many days and even some nights. It has been good for our electric bill, but I wouldn't mind a couple days of snow. It is a little cooler today than the last few days. It is almost 1:30 p.m. and it is 54 degrees F. Very, very windy today.

Barbara
Old 01-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
From what i hear this morning, next week Alix is going to be sharing her "warmth"!!!!

KEEP IT!
We've had a few easy days in the 20's, but of course that always just brings snow.
It's 9 today. Wow. 9.

It's supposed to be 20 below here by Wed, but only for a day or 3 I think....
I just keep trying to think positive.... days are getting longer..... March is seed starting and only 2 months away..... It's been 80 in March recently, I got a sunburn once.....

Ok it's not working, I'm gonna go turn up the furnace and bake that meatloaf......
:)