"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Cook

I use a product called Osteo Bi-Flex. It's got Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM in it. It's not the cheapest Glucosamine product out there, but I like having all three in one pill. I just find it on sale and buy 3-4 bottles at a time.

I'm missing quite a bit of meniscus in one of my knees, plus I've got a banged up spine, shoulder and arthritis in my feet and hands. If I'm faithful taking the pills I don't notice weather changes in my joints. Other than that, I really don't notice a difference with the pills.

However, being from the damp dreary Pacific Northwest (native, I love it here!) - being able to weather the weather changes makes me a VERY happy camper.

LL

Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #12
Master Chef

Reading everything here leads me back to what we were told by our doctors. Glucosimn/Condtroiten cannot cure anything. But it can build up cartilage between and around your bones IN SOME PEOPLE. IF you start it when you are young enough, and have something to build upon. It is no miracle worker, and sure can't do anything for tendon or muscles.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Everymom

Claire that was exactly my thought.

Has anyone had any actual NEGATIVE results from taking it? To date all I've heard is either it works as it is supposed to or it doesn't. It sounds like it doesn't have any negative side effects which makes me lean toward possibly trying it.

On the up side for me. I spoke to my yoga instructor and she tailored a class to my knee. It IS possible to do yoga without bending your knees or kneeling but holy moly is it hard! I had a class full of people threatening to take out my other knee in the parking lot for putting them through such anguish. LOL.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
Master Chef

Alix, I live in a small town, and our fitness center is also the physical therapy unit for our hospital. So, like you, when I have an exercise question, I get a considered answer from a true professional (not just a former cheerleader, which in many cities I've lived in, is what I got). We gals in our class get individual attention as you described. I don't do yoga, but do Pilates, but every class we take, we can feel free to ask physical questions before the class, and our instructors will take the time to say, "here, Claire, this stretch is for you," or, "Marie, don't try this one, your shoulder can't take it."
Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #15
Everymom

Isn't it nice to know that the people you are trusting have the credentials to back it up? I really appreciate that.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:33 AM   #16
Master Chef

Oh, yes, I truly do appreciate it. I might add that my many friends across the country have taken to asking me questions about fitness because they know the answers I come up with are going to be answered by ... no, not me!!! But by people with degrees and letters after their names! When I first moved here, when my first real winter in years (after Florida and Hawaii) was rearing its ugly head, my right arm was just killing me. It had been hurting for a year or two in those trailer years. I was given specific exercises for it, one being incredibly boring (a sort of bicycle for your arms), and within months the darned thing was up to speed, so to speak. Knee pain, lower back pain, sciatica --- well, heck, I'm 53. They are going to happen. But it is nice to know that there are people right there to help me.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Claire that was exactly my thought.

Has anyone had any actual NEGATIVE results from taking it? To date all I've heard is either it works as it is supposed to or it doesn't. It sounds like it doesn't have any negative side effects which makes me lean toward possibly trying it.

On the up side for me. I spoke to my yoga instructor and she tailored a class to my knee. It IS possible to do yoga without bending your knees or kneeling but holy moly is it hard! I had a class full of people threatening to take out my other knee in the parking lot for putting them through such anguish. LOL.
Alix....if things dont work out with Yoga longterm, give Tai Chi a go. I have rheumatoid arthritis ( so the glucosamine wouldn't work for me) and the gentle movements with Tai Chi have benefited me greatly. Plus it gives me a dreamy feeling (lolol...) like I have been meditating! So far my knees have held out and hope that continues. Hands and wrists are another story.