Glucosamine questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, so some of you already know that I tore the meniscus in my left knee. Stupid knee. I'm working on healing this really dumb injury and I'm doing well with it. I've had a few folks recommend glucosamine and while for a long time I've heard reports its good, I've also heard that it doesn't work for some folks and recently that is just doesn't do what its supposed to do.

I'd really love to hear some anecdotal reports from you here about what you think of it. Thanks!

Since you're only looking for anecdotal (rather than real medical) info, I've had painful knees for years. Heck, make that decades. Husband has a hip that was very painful. His doctor said much like what you have said, that is, works for some, some it doesn't. In my case and my husband's it really, really helped a lot, with no negative side effects. I buy a glucosomine/condroitin combo, and just buy whatever is cheapest per dose. From what I've learned, a lot of time the determining factor on whether or not it works has to do with the condition of your cartilage to begin with. Among my friends, the reports are more for than against; and I think that the people who it does not work for are usually older or have damage that is beyond just re-building cartilage.

I have torn meniscus too, about 10 yrs. ago , had arthroscopy done. 2 yrs later, I fell and torn it again. I have tried the glucosamine about 3 yrs ago, for a year, unfortunately , it did not repair the knee. I still suffer with it.

Have tried glucosamine and have had no positive results. Took it for over a year with no difference in condition. This was about 8 years ago after a knee injury from a vehicle accident. Tried it again this last year for an extended period of time, again, with no real difference in condition. Quit taking it.

:) Glucosamine and Chondroitin (SP?) is meant for the bones not the muscles it works on regular arthritis not rheumatoid arthritis. I used it years ago on my Red Bone Coon hound and it worked wonders on him. It will rebuild the cartilage and it dos work. He used to be so stiff as he got older he could not get out of bed in the morning or jump into the back of the truck after taking the the supplements he was like a young dog again.

Alix, I worked with a guy who took glucosamine and chindroiton for a torn meniscus. He claimed it worked enough for him to put off surgery.

SO never tried these drugs and went straight for the surgery. She's glad she did.

Congenitally, the cartiledge has been deteriorating in my knees since I was a teen. Every so often one or both of my legs would swell in the knee region making it difficult to bend, walk, climb steps. Nothing but time would decrease the swelling. I always did exercises to increase the muscle strength in that area, giving my knees extra support for everyday movement. At times, I would also wear a flexible fabric brace for additional support.

When glucosamine came on the market, naturally, I tried it. I noticed a decrease in pain and an increase of mobility in about 4 weeks. At one point, I was able to cease taking the glucosamine because the results were no longer changing and I experienced very little discomfort. After a day of walking in very bad footwear I experienced severe swelling that time and glucosamine was not eliminating. I eventually required physical therapy complete with electric muscle stimulation. That was what finally decreased the swelling. In fact, since that procedure (done 4 times) I've experienced a almost complete reversal of a lifetime of knee pain/lack of mobility. Recently, after a 15 hour day on a hard kitchen floor with little extended movement I experienced swelling and all that entails again. Not having the time for the physical therapy again, I did all the exercises, all the moist heat wraps, and tried to stay off my leg as much as possible. It took a couple of weeks, but eventually, it worked. Once again, I have no pain and no lack of mobility at all.

My point of all this is that I've had three different remedies with similar results.

My mother recently had surgery for torn meniscus. She tried to put it off and did for 6 months. Always an active woman, the severe change in her lifestyle, in addition to the unrelenting pain, caused her physician to schedule the surgery. She tried additional exercise, no exercise, glucosamine, ginger tea, moist heat, dry heat...to no avail. The surgery was quick and her recovery is almost complete. She also had the same surgery about 6 years ago on her other knee.

Thanks you guys. Your answers were about what I expected. I'm still not sold on glucosamine. I find that MSM works quite well for me in most instances and I'm going to continue that.

As for my knee. I am determined to avoid surgery unless the tear causes the meniscus to flap and get stuck in the joint. If the joint locks there really won't be any choice left. My pain is minimal, and getting better every day. I ice regularly and avoid a lot of bending. I'm following a specific program set out by a very knowledgeable yogi as well and am finding it very helpful.

I use a product called Osteo Bi-Flex. It's got Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM in it. It's not the cheapest Glucosamine product out there, but I like having all three in one pill. I just find it on sale and buy 3-4 bottles at a time.

I'm missing quite a bit of meniscus in one of my knees, plus I've got a banged up spine, shoulder and arthritis in my feet and hands. If I'm faithful taking the pills I don't notice weather changes in my joints. Other than that, I really don't notice a difference with the pills.

However, being from the damp dreary Pacific Northwest (native, I love it here!) - being able to weather the weather changes makes me a VERY happy camper.

LL

Reading everything here leads me back to what we were told by our doctors. Glucosimn/Condtroiten cannot cure anything. But it can build up cartilage between and around your bones IN SOME PEOPLE. IF you start it when you are young enough, and have something to build upon. It is no miracle worker, and sure can't do anything for tendon or muscles.

Claire that was exactly my thought.

Has anyone had any actual NEGATIVE results from taking it? To date all I've heard is either it works as it is supposed to or it doesn't. It sounds like it doesn't have any negative side effects which makes me lean toward possibly trying it.

On the up side for me. I spoke to my yoga instructor and she tailored a class to my knee. It IS possible to do yoga without bending your knees or kneeling but holy moly is it hard! I had a class full of people threatening to take out my other knee in the parking lot for putting them through such anguish. LOL.

Alix, I live in a small town, and our fitness center is also the physical therapy unit for our hospital. So, like you, when I have an exercise question, I get a considered answer from a true professional (not just a former cheerleader, which in many cities I've lived in, is what I got). We gals in our class get individual attention as you described. I don't do yoga, but do Pilates, but every class we take, we can feel free to ask physical questions before the class, and our instructors will take the time to say, "here, Claire, this stretch is for you," or, "Marie, don't try this one, your shoulder can't take it."

Isn't it nice to know that the people you are trusting have the credentials to back it up? I really appreciate that.

Oh, yes, I truly do appreciate it. I might add that my many friends across the country have taken to asking me questions about fitness because they know the answers I come up with are going to be answered by ... no, not me!!! But by people with degrees and letters after their names! When I first moved here, when my first real winter in years (after Florida and Hawaii) was rearing its ugly head, my right arm was just killing me. It had been hurting for a year or two in those trailer years. I was given specific exercises for it, one being incredibly boring (a sort of bicycle for your arms), and within months the darned thing was up to speed, so to speak. Knee pain, lower back pain, sciatica --- well, heck, I'm 53. They are going to happen. But it is nice to know that there are people right there to help me.

Claire that was exactly my thought.

Has anyone had any actual NEGATIVE results from taking it? To date all I've heard is either it works as it is supposed to or it doesn't. It sounds like it doesn't have any negative side effects which makes me lean toward possibly trying it.

On the up side for me. I spoke to my yoga instructor and she tailored a class to my knee. It IS possible to do yoga without bending your knees or kneeling but holy moly is it hard! I had a class full of people threatening to take out my other knee in the parking lot for putting them through such anguish. LOL.

Alix....if things dont work out with Yoga longterm, give Tai Chi a go. I have rheumatoid arthritis ( so the glucosamine wouldn't work for me) and the gentle movements with Tai Chi have benefited me greatly. Plus it gives me a dreamy feeling (lolol...;)) like I have been meditating! So far my knees have held out and hope that continues. Hands and wrists are another story.:(

Back
Top Bottom