"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Everymom

Glucosamine questions

OK, so some of you already know that I tore the meniscus in my left knee. Stupid knee. I'm working on healing this really dumb injury and I'm doing well with it. I've had a few folks recommend glucosamine and while for a long time I've heard reports its good, I've also heard that it doesn't work for some folks and recently that is just doesn't do what its supposed to do.

I'd really love to hear some anecdotal reports from you here about what you think of it. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Master Chef

Since you're only looking for anecdotal (rather than real medical) info, I've had painful knees for years. Heck, make that decades. Husband has a hip that was very painful. His doctor said much like what you have said, that is, works for some, some it doesn't. In my case and my husband's it really, really helped a lot, with no negative side effects. I buy a glucosomine/condroitin combo, and just buy whatever is cheapest per dose. From what I've learned, a lot of time the determining factor on whether or not it works has to do with the condition of your cartilage to begin with. Among my friends, the reports are more for than against; and I think that the people who it does not work for are usually older or have damage that is beyond just re-building cartilage.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul took it for awhile...didn't do a thing for him....
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
Master Chef

I have torn meniscus too, about 10 yrs. ago , had arthroscopy done. 2 yrs later, I fell and torn it again. I have tried the glucosamine about 3 yrs ago, for a year, unfortunately , it did not repair the knee. I still suffer with it.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Have tried glucosamine and have had no positive results. Took it for over a year with no difference in condition. This was about 8 years ago after a knee injury from a vehicle accident. Tried it again this last year for an extended period of time, again, with no real difference in condition. Quit taking it.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Glucosamine and Chondroitin (SP?) is meant for the bones not the muscles it works on regular arthritis not rheumatoid arthritis. I used it years ago on my Red Bone Coon hound and it worked wonders on him. It will rebuild the cartilage and it dos work. He used to be so stiff as he got older he could not get out of bed in the morning or jump into the back of the truck after taking the the supplements he was like a young dog again.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Alix, I worked with a guy who took glucosamine and chindroiton for a torn meniscus. He claimed it worked enough for him to put off surgery.

SO never tried these drugs and went straight for the surgery. She's glad she did.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
Paul took it for awhile...didn't do a thing for him....
Same here.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Congenitally, the cartiledge has been deteriorating in my knees since I was a teen. Every so often one or both of my legs would swell in the knee region making it difficult to bend, walk, climb steps. Nothing but time would decrease the swelling. I always did exercises to increase the muscle strength in that area, giving my knees extra support for everyday movement. At times, I would also wear a flexible fabric brace for additional support.

When glucosamine came on the market, naturally, I tried it. I noticed a decrease in pain and an increase of mobility in about 4 weeks. At one point, I was able to cease taking the glucosamine because the results were no longer changing and I experienced very little discomfort. After a day of walking in very bad footwear I experienced severe swelling that time and glucosamine was not eliminating. I eventually required physical therapy complete with electric muscle stimulation. That was what finally decreased the swelling. In fact, since that procedure (done 4 times) I've experienced a almost complete reversal of a lifetime of knee pain/lack of mobility. Recently, after a 15 hour day on a hard kitchen floor with little extended movement I experienced swelling and all that entails again. Not having the time for the physical therapy again, I did all the exercises, all the moist heat wraps, and tried to stay off my leg as much as possible. It took a couple of weeks, but eventually, it worked. Once again, I have no pain and no lack of mobility at all.

My point of all this is that I've had three different remedies with similar results.

My mother recently had surgery for torn meniscus. She tried to put it off and did for 6 months. Always an active woman, the severe change in her lifestyle, in addition to the unrelenting pain, caused her physician to schedule the surgery. She tried additional exercise, no exercise, glucosamine, ginger tea, moist heat, dry heat...to no avail. The surgery was quick and her recovery is almost complete. She also had the same surgery about 6 years ago on her other knee.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Everymom

Thanks you guys. Your answers were about what I expected. I'm still not sold on glucosamine. I find that MSM works quite well for me in most instances and I'm going to continue that.

As for my knee. I am determined to avoid surgery unless the tear causes the meniscus to flap and get stuck in the joint. If the joint locks there really won't be any choice left. My pain is minimal, and getting better every day. I ice regularly and avoid a lot of bending. I'm following a specific program set out by a very knowledgeable yogi as well and am finding it very helpful.