"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
OK it's 1:00 am and I'm at work about 20 minutes ago my hubby called and told me my daughter put her trail blazer in the ditch swerving to miss a deer. She split her lip, but is otherwise ok. Just upset, crying hystarically(sp). and I can't be there to calm her down. Not to mention my husband is not the greatest at handleing this type of thing. Usually yells and tells you what you did wrong before anything else. I hate not being able to be there, but I'm the only one at work and there is nobody that could even cover for me. This totally stinks!!!!!!
Your dh sounds like mine!! He always seems hateful when someone gets hurt. It's because it scares him so much, that he can't handle the emotion, therefore, gets angry. A lot of men are like this because they weren't raised to show emotions like that or they aren't men
Dh is getting a little better, but, still has moments that I want to knock him in the head.
I'm glad that your daughter is okay!!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Mikki I'm glad she's okay

Old 06-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Head Chef

Just wanted to add, in case anyone doesn't know, that SWERVING is the worst thing to do if a deer runs in front of you, especially if you are running at high speed. Much better to hit the deer straight on than risk losing control and rolling your vehicle.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:55 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Sparrow- your right about the swerving. We've always told her not to swerve, but her reaction was to turn the wheel. Alls she kept saying was "you guys kept telling me not to swerve" Her 15 yr old sister said you should have just hit the deer, then we could have had back straps for dinner.
I know the most important thing is she's ok,but Trail Blazer is totaled, she bent the frame. Only had liability on it so I have no idea what we are going to do. She's only 18 and just started working a few weeks ago when she got home from college, so she has no money saved. We just bought a used van so we are strapped money wise also. She has to go back to school in 6 weeks and needs a car by then.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #15
Master Chef

we actually have a deer crossing sign in our neck of the woods and we live in a suburban area.....of course some hot scootermate added a rednose to the deer but otherwise people do have a warning.........we should also have a duck crossing sign as well........Make Way for Ducklings.........
Old 06-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #16
Sous Chef

There are deer warning signs all over where we live. so many that you see them but dont really pay attention to them. It wouldn't have mattered for my daughter though she swerves for everything, my younger daughter said she swerved to miss a mouse the other day. I really hope she learned otherwise she going to be replacing alot of cars.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:48 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Thank goodness she isn't hurt worse. I hope your hubby surprises (both of) you and maintained his composure. I remember I had a mishap around that age and was certain my dad would come unglued (as he does), and he somehow managed not to kill me. I think when it's my turn, I will be in your shoes, worried sick and riddled with mom guilt at not being there to make sure my baby is A-ok. I am glad he took her to ER and got her patched up.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:08 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Well he didn't yell at her, just told her " I told you to slow down when your driving" He took it out more on me--got short and snippy when I was talking about different options with the car. And yes he did surprise me, he actually waited on her all day, made her lunch got her pain pills, drinks, etc. which he never does, it's us usually waiting on him.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:15 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Dads!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #20
Master Chef

yep, these men can suprise you when it comes to their babies.........