"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #1001
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm back.

thanks, gg. it was a nice vacation. a trip to vermont amd searching out a summer rental down the jersey shore, but no florida, though.

my culinary discoveries from vacation were i bought a small bottle of bacon salt (can't wait to try it on grilled chicken or a salad), and i had a fantastic dish called something like malafammena", which was shellfish - lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, and crab over linguini in a soupy tomato/old bay/clam broth. really good.

lots of baseball of late. i'm beat after working 5 hours non-stop in the kitchen at the ballfield tonight slinging hot dogs, french fries, and chicken fingers. i have a new found respect for short order cooks. i was only doing it for 5 hours (without a minute break) and i'm pretty tired. i can't imagine cooking and serving like that for 8 or 10 hours or longer. thank god i got to work with a woman who runs a school cafeteria as her regular job. i only made 1 mistake on the register as well, so i think we did ok.

anyway, i'm happy to be back at my own job where my butt gets ever wider as i sit in front of a keyboard.

still, it was fun.
The little stint I had working in a commercial kitchen this past winter was EXHAUSTING. I would crawl home sooooo tired. A lot harder than sitting on my butt in front of my computer 8-12 hours at a time.

Glad you're back!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #1002
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm heading west early tomorrow morning. I hope to hit STL by mid-day Sunday. I had hoped to go to the Soulard Farmers' Market, but it isn't open when I will have some time...oh, well. Once I'm done in STL, I'll be heading north for the aspargus season, the opening of walleye fishing, and some time with family and extended family. I need to restock my wild rice supply and do some online shopping for things I can't get here. I will be checking on DC, but not cooking at all after today for at least a week.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #1003
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm heading west early tomorrow morning. I hope to hit STL by mid-day Sunday. I had hoped to go to the Soulard Farmers' Market, but it isn't open when I will have some time...oh, well. Once I'm done in STL, I'll be heading north for the aspargus season, the opening of walleye fishing, and some time with family and extended family. I need to restock my wild rice supply and do some online shopping for things I can't get here. I will be checking on DC, but not cooking at all after today for at least a week.
Have a safe, productive, and fun trip.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #1004
Head Chef

Quote:
Oooo. Soulard. Wish I could go too. It's one of so many swell things to do in St. Louis & surrounds. Lived there for a while, hated to leave. After all, that's where I learned about the duck dance (aka chicken dance), brats & beer. And some of the nicest people I ever met.

Ooooo. Walleyes.

Ooooo. Wild rice.

Oo

Take care, CWS.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #1005
Chef Extraordinaire

Have a good trip CWS
Old 04-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #1006
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Drive carefully...if not, drive really, really fast! Have fun and check in when you can.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1007
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Drive carefully...if not, drive really, really fast! Have fun and check in when you can.
If I were still driving my '67 MGB Roadster, that would be a temptation. However, I am driving my '98 Volvo wagon. Jeanne's a great car, but she's no MGB (and thank goodness for that, my MGB was a mechanic's dream--she had to be tweaked all the time, but man, was she a fun car to drive!!!!). Jeanne survived getting swiped by a manure truck--I feel as if I'm driving a mini-tank down the road when I'm driving her. And, she has heated seats--a great thing to have on a long road trip if you suffer from chronic back pain.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #1008
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

+ 1!!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #1009
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm heading west early tomorrow morning. I hope to hit STL by mid-day Sunday....
Just saw this as I haven't been on much the last two days. Like many here in MA, my time has been spent watching law enforcement do their thing. Kudos guys! Way to Go!

Speaking of going, have a great trip. Even though vacations with Himself or my SIL are fun there is nothing so exciting as travelling by yourself. No one to answer to, just yourself. Stay safe, have fun - we expect a full report when you get back home. And sharing a little of the walleye wouldn't hurt either.

BTW, you all know about the New Year's Eve Ball Drop on Time Square, right? Port Clinton OH does New Year's Eve a little differently...a Walleye Drop! You can read all about their silliness here: Walleye Madness - Walleye Drop (Port Clinton, Ohio)
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #1010
Master Chef

I'll be MIA for a while too. We're headed for Kaui, Hawaii and the little condo we've rented for three Springs in a row. I'm packing my favorite knife and spices!

My broken foot is all better, but soaking it in warm salt water is just the prescription to make it perfect again. I'll be checking on DC with my Nook, but typing on that thing is a pain for a touch typist. Can you tell I don't thumb type "text" let alone, "tweet"? Aloha!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote