"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #1441
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
They want us to take computers into the patient rooms while we do the interviews and assessments. I just can't do it, talk about removing yourself from the discussion and I hated it while I was in the hospital. I find the computer changes the exchange of information and you find out more, faster if you just sit for a chat, not read off a script.
They do that at BMC. Sorry, I want your whole attention on me. Not recording every word I say on the computer. I shut down when I see that portable computer coming into the room. I immediately turn over and face the opposite way. "Sorry, I am tired. I want to go to sleep."

Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #1442
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yeah, that all started in the '80s when the new MBA whiz kids started advising companies to increase profits by increasing efficiency by cutting staff and valuing shareholders over staff. Companies that treat staff like expendable widgets get the loyalty they deserve.
Thank you for writing that. It was what I was thinking, but couldn't put it into words just right, like you did.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #1443
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
forgive me if i don't share a belief in the workforce of today to possess the same integrity, sense of purpose and discipline as a dedicated worker such as yourself, goddess.
A lot also depends on an individual. When I worked at The Telephone Company in the 1970s we had our share of goofer-offers as well as the butt-busters. Yes I got my work done and worked hard vit, but I wasn't above resting my head on the roll of TP to catch my breath!

The same can be said of today's workers. Most of my business is now done as a consumer in a retail setting. A lot of clerks seem indifferent to helping people, but you still see workers of all ages still helping customers and working hard.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #1444
Chef Extraordinaire

In the area of retail, find and older work in their 40's or above, and you will get the service of yesteryear. The problem is that there isn't enough of them.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #1445
Master Chef

Addie, I've gotten good service from people under 40 too. Even *gasp* teenagers!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #1446
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In the area of retail, find and older work in their 40's or above, and you will get the service of yesteryear. The problem is that there isn't enough of them.
That's because the good ones went to nursing school.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #1447
Senior Cook

Hi everyone!

Just a quick note that I'm still alive over here. Dads surgery went relatively well, but definitely not out of the woods yet. One day at a time, and hopefully he will be released by end of next week. Hope all of you are doing well.

Any update on Laurie? Is she
Doing any better?

Tofffi

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #1448
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffiffeezz View Post
Hi everyone!

Just a quick note that I'm still alive over here. Dads surgery went relatively well, but definitely not out of the woods yet. One day at a time, and hopefully he will be released by end of next week. Hope all of you are doing well.

Doing any better?

Tofffi

Nice to see you back, Toffi! Hope things continue to improve for your dad.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #1449
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffiffeezz View Post
Hi everyone!

Doing any better?

Tofffi

Toffi,
Thank you for asking. I am home (a week now) and am having a few food issues, but that is all. It will take some time to figure out what I can and can't eat, but at least I am healthier in many ways!

Glad to hear that your Dad's surgery went well - I know about the day to day - have been through it with both parents and my sister, and with myself. Hugs and prayers going out to all of you. I hope you can take some time for yourself.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #1450
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's because the good ones went to nursing school.
Or culinary school! I learned customer service from my best and toughest boss - my Dad. The customer was ALWAYS right and always deserved the best of service. Well, Except maybe for the time that a couple that walked in, bought some cigarettes and asked if there was a wig shop in town. I directed them down the street and thought it was really odd because the man asked the question - they didn't say hairdresser but specifically wigs. I felt strange about it all day until we heard that the bank on the other side of town was being held up. I told my Dad I better talk to the police. I think I was 17 and was able to give them adequate information to help them catch the thieves. Even the hairdresser didn't really pay as much attention as I did!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote