"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #1961
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it

Old 08-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #1962
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Sorry, been MIA

... I have been so very ill since we got back from Hawaii the ending of May (we were gone for the entire month of May) and have not really been in contact with anyone or thing.
I have neglected everything...my poor husband had to fend for himself and didn't do well. I use to be on ChefTalk as well, but I just can't keep up.
We left on another month long road trip across the country and just got back. I lied and said that I was okay to do the trip, but I really wasn't, I should have been in the hospital. I can't remember the first week or two of the trip!
It's been one hell of a year for me and I pray that from this point on, it will be smooth sailing.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #1963
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm so sorry to hear that, K'girl. I had to postpone our 30th anniversary trip earlier this year and ended up having surgery a few weeks after we were scheduled to go, so I understand how you feel. I hope you get better soon. Take care.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #1964
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh dear, no bueno, K-girl! Happy that you're back!
Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #1965
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Have a wonderful trip, Kay and SousChef! Be sure to visit the Empress Hotel while you're in Victoria. Fabulous, breathtaking place....if I remember correctly it's a very short walk from the ferry - 10 minutes or less, it's right on the Harbor.

Butchart Gardens is astonishing. Can't wait to see all your pics, and you haven't even left yet!
Cheryl,
We are scheduled to have high tea at the Empress
Old 09-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #1966
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Cheryl,
We are scheduled to have high tea at the Empress
Oh, that's wonderful! I wanted to have high tea at the Empress when I was there many moons ago, but at the time I didn't know you had to reserve quite a while in advance.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #1967
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that, K'girl. I had to postpone our 30th anniversary trip earlier this year and ended up having surgery a few weeks after we were scheduled to go, so I understand how you feel. I hope you get better soon. Take care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh dear, no bueno, K-girl! Happy that you're back!
Many thanks for your kind thoughts gals.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #1968
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Oh, that's wonderful! I wanted to have high tea at the Empress when I was there many moons ago, but at the time I didn't know you had to reserve quite a while in advance.
Here is more than you ever want to know about high tea there
TEA FUN FACTS

Afternoon Tea was started by the Duchess of Bedford in the 19th century when she had a "sinking" feeling in the afternoon. The Duchess had the chef prepare a little meal with tea, and soon it became known as Afternoon Tea
  • During the centennial restoration in 2008, the hotel's original Tea Lobby floor was replaced and the wood of the original floor was transformed into delicate Afternoon Tea tables; - one may say you're eating off the floor
  • Nearly 100,000 guests are served tea annually with an estimated 500,000 cups of tea(5 cups per person!)
  • Although very popular and reservations are recommended, rarely are guests ever turned away from Afternoon Tea. Often the artful hand-cut glass dome of the Palm Court adjacent to the Tea Lobby is transformed into an additional Afternoon Tea space
  • Our Tea servers are some of our most tenured colleagues in the hotel with over 42 years of service
  • The most recent royal visitors to enjoy Afternoon Tea were the Emperor and Empress of Japan.
  • The Empress Tea China was originally presented to King George V in 1914 upon the opening of the Booth factory in Stoke-on-Trent, England. The china was first used by The Empress in 1939 for the Royal visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. The pattern is now produced by William Edwards exclusively for The Fairmont Empress
  • The portraits in the tea lobby are King George V and his wife Queen Mary, who originally intended to wed his brother, Prince Edward, who died of pneumonia. The portraits have been in place since the hotel opened in 1908
  • The difference between high tea and afternoon tea? High tea is generally taken at 4:00 p.m., and was more of a "working man's" dinner and they included hot savory items. High tea is mistakenly thought to include champagne or sparkling wine, but this should be referred to as Royal Tea
  • Notable guests have included Queen Elizabeth II, Rudyard Kipling, Shirley Temple, Spencer Tracy, Princess Margaret, Rita Hayworth, the King and Queen of Siam, Bob Hope, John Travolta, Barbra Streisand, Joan Lunden, Sarah McLachlan, Mel Gibson and Nelly Furtado
  • The Empress Tea Blend comes from six estates, including Kenya, Tanzania, South India, Assam, Sri Lanka, and China
Old 09-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #1969
Master Chef

I'd rather have a glass of wine.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #1970
Master Chef

I'll drink to that, Kayelle.