Going MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just reading through the Brown Bread thread. I saw that the thread was started by Whiskadoodle and I realized that I haven't seen him here for a while. I checked his profile and he hasn't been around since 2022 July 27. Does anyone know if he is alright?

Explaining my erratic posting...

My husband is very ill and I have had to enroll him in hospice care. I am very busy taking care of him and don't have as much time to post as I used to. I miss posting and chatting with ya'll. I am able to read your post I just don't have time to log on and reply. I adore this board and all of the sweet people who post here. Ya'll are the sunshine of my day.

Stay Sweet :)

MEC

We just returned from a trip to Alaska. Our middle niece Laura and her husband went with us. We went snow machining in Gridwood up to Spencer Glacier, explored a bit of Anchorage, took a train to Talkeetna, got a glimpse of the northern lights, saw moose, and went snow shoeing. We also went dog sledding at the kennel of this year's Iditarod champion! Explored Talkeetna and then a train to Fairbanks. Saw fantastic views of Denali (both from train and while staying at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge.) I went ice fishing outside of Fairbanks while my middle niece and her husband went to the hot-springs (My guide cooked my four nine-inch salmon in filets right over the wood stove warming the fishing shed.) Had a second glimpse of the northern lights just outside of Fairbanks. We all piled in a van to go to Coldfoot Camp, which is about 60 miles inside of the Artic Circle.

Coldfoot Camp is basically a truck stop. It's one of two places to obtain gas and food between Fairbanks and Deadhorse. Portions of food are HUGE and hearty. The Inn was once used by pipeline crews while the pipeline was being built. It was barebones but comfortable. While in Coldfoot, we visited Wiseman (population 9 with 2 more who are considered residents but come and go.) We took the Dalton Highway, which stops being paved just after you pass the Coldfoot Camp, another 170 miles north to the Atigun Pass. On the trip, we saw caribou, another moose, and birds. The Dalton Highway did not even look like a road at times. There is no shoulder on the highway, but has occasional pull-offs. Trucks travel it at about 50 mph. As they passed, we were dusted with snow.

After returning to Coldfoot, we caught a piper chiefton back to Fairbanks. (Small plane that carried 7 passengers.) We then went to see the results of the World Ice Sculpture Competition at the Fairbanks Fairgrounds before catching a flight back to Seattle and then home.

Our nephew-in-law and niece are both veterinarians. Frank has a social media channel where he posted videos about each part of our trip. Thankfully, he avoided adding us to the vids, but they are enjoyable to see. (Anyone interested in seeing vids, it is Dr. Frank Bozelka who is on several social media platforms.)

Here are a few photos from our trip.
Anchorage and Snow Machining 20240310_141807.jpgimage90445.jpgimage90444.jpg

Pics from the Train:
20240313_131156.jpg20240314_125617.jpgIMG_9650.jpg
Talkeetna:

20240312_120435.jpg20240313_105909.jpg20240313_115002.jpg
Fairbanks after another Train to be continued.

Last edited:
Explaining my erratic posting...

My husband is very ill and I have had to enroll him in hospice care. I am very busy taking care of him and don't have as much time to post as I used to. I miss posting and chatting with ya'll. I am able to read your post I just don't have time to log on and reply. I adore this board and all of the sweet people who post here. Ya'll are the sunshine of my day.

Stay Sweet :)

MEC
I am saddened to hear this.

Back
Top Bottom