"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #381
Flour Child
I'm looking forward to meeting you Vit. I'm one of the MIAs also and I'll do my best to explain as briefly as possible just what happened. Sort version: suddenly, death was staring me in the face and my focus changed until I could mend. First, let me say that just entering here feels like home with so many familiar faces bringing back such warm and wonderful memories...it feels good. I miss all the good food, good laughs, and good conversation. (just had to get that in before you all stop reading this lengthy epistle...lol)

I was diagnosed with cancer of the uterus (just after my tornado victims posts) and was treated with progesterone which (arguably) caused DVTs (blood clots) leading to multiple pulmonary embolisms in my lungs. Breathing was difficult. I was put on blood thinners for 7 months but here's the catch...I couldn't treat nor remove the cancer while on the blood thinners. There was a point when I thought I might not make it...first health scare in my whole life.

Still though, months later, I wasn't serious about nutrition and exercise until, just when I thought I was almost healed and cancer-free, I experienced another DVT (blood clot) and my blood pressure shot up to 158. I was NOT going back to the ER again so, get this lol, I googled "blood pressure 158" and a comment showed up on a health board from a woman who had a DVT and a 158 blood pressure! She said she drank 8 glasses of water everyday, elevated her leg, and cut out salt...she said it healed. So I didn't go to the doctor (i don't recommend that! I mean it! go!) and followed her regimen for 3 days and it was gone (miracle). More importantly, it showed me how much what we put in our bodies makes such a HUGE difference. That was my turning point.

My cooking drastically simplified in order to save myself and my focus was on researching nutrition and exercise....cutting way back on salt, sugar, processed foods, fat, dairy, animal, oils...and switching to eating whole foods, veggies, fruit, beans, nuts, and seeds (i was basically vegan). Dr. Fuhrman's book, "Eat to Live" saved my life. My favorite recipe in there was his "Anti-Cancer Soup" which I didn't think would go over very well in here...not very fun sounding and I was all about fun before.

But I'm back to my old self, in fact better than ever...and cancer-free! I've always thought of you all here and miss everyone greatly...I finally feel like I can return if you'll still have me. I'm sorry I didn't let anyone know but it was a sudden shock and drastic shift in lifestyle. Every moment of every day was focused on research and learning how to heal....i became obsessed with it there for awhile but I'm healed now and not so obsessed with healthy food...er, I mean...I've struck a healthy balance with food and my new lifestyle is more in perspective.

I hope you ALL are doing well and are healthy and happy. See you around (I hear the whispers..."And this was brief???" lol)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #382
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
So nice to have you back and healthy, Mollyanne!!! Congrats on beating the "Big C"!!!

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #383
Master Chef
OMG (((((((((((((Mollyanne)))))))) I'm so dang glad to see you and I've missed you like crazy nearly every day here. I'm about in tears over your story and can't begin to tell you how much it means to hear your happy ending to the story.
Welcome home, myfriend!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #384
Head Chef
Goody! Vit is back and Mollyanne (Hi, Mollyanne - I'm relatively new and I lived in Charlotte NC before moving to Florida; anyway, glad to meet you!) is well again! Now we can all gather up and follow the chicken chronicles.
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #385
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Welcome back, Vitauta and Mollyanne!! It is good to know you both are safe and sound.
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #386
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Hi Vit! You were Missed!

MOLLYANNE!!! So happy to see you are doing well, cancer is scary.

Hugs all around!
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #387
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Welcome back, Vitauta and Mollyanne!!

Mollyanne, we have been so worried about you! I am so glad you got through all of that and that you are on the mend.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #388
Certified Cake Maniac
Oh, MOLLYANNE! I have missed you so much! What an experience you have had and bravo for coming out the other side of it with such strength.

I for one am very interested in your new diet lifestyle. We are having to change ours quite a bit and are eating more naturally than ever before.

What a day, Vit and MA both back home! If I had known you were coming I would have baked a cake!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #389
Flour Child
dawg, kayelle, LP, tin, hoot, princess, and barbara....thank you all for such a warm welcome back. I puddled up when I saw everyone. What an awesome group of genuinely friendly folks...i love you guyz and missed you. And lol to LP about baking a cake if you'd known I was coming. Oh I remember all those amazing cakes you posted pics of here. I posted a photo I took of myself on my profile page. I took it with my laptop on 9/1/12...see, I'm all healthy again and ready to take on DC....yes, my hair looks really weird...i look like donald trump

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #390
Certified Pretend Chef
mollyanne, that was a scary time. It's great you're back and well.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote