"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,086
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Good to see you Sprout. I hope you have less stress coming soon. Moving is a PITA. (((hugs)))
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #62
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,248
I just thought I would pop my head in and say hi.

Dad is still in the hospital and not too happy about it. But he is not strong enough to come home yet. He has to be able to get himself up to standing and walk with his walker to the bathroom, computer room and dining room. At the moment he can walk the distance on floor, but we have carpet, and he can not get to and from a sitting position to standing.

This is very important because I started my Chronic Pain Management Program yesterday and there are at least three hours from when his worker leaves until DH gets home and then after DH gives him his lunch, he will go for a nap and then to his second job and I won't be home until 2 - 3 in the afternoon. In talking to the physiotherapist today they may put him in a rehab program.

Dad has moments of being okay with everything and others where he complains from the moment I or my sister get there until we leave. The nurses won't give him cough syrup, they yell at him at night to shut up, and he can't sleep at all. Then we talk to the nurses and they say no, he is a great patient and sleeps very well.

As for me, I am getting over strep throat and am attending the pain program Tuesday and Thursday mornings. The trip in is a bit of an ordeal as we have some minor snow, but I am determined not to miss a session. I think it is going to be very valuable. I am also going next week for a scope of my throat to see why I am not swallowing properly and things are getting caught there, sometimes for hours. So, in other words, I am getting a full makeover!

I miss everyone, but find very little time to be on the computer. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers! They are helping!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #63
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,992
Miss you Laurie, but right now you are on to more important things. Let us know how the scope goes. Swallow studies are not fun...unless they let you watch it live on the fluoroscope!

Tell your Dad to be good and get better so he won't have to put up with those nasty old nurses!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #64
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
I just thought I would pop my head in and say hi.

Dad is still in the hospital and not too happy about it. But he is not strong enough to come home yet. He has to be able to get himself up to standing and walk with his walker to the bathroom, computer room and dining room. At the moment he can walk the distance on floor, but we have carpet, and he can not get to and from a sitting position to standing.

This is very important because I started my Chronic Pain Management Program yesterday and there are at least three hours from when his worker leaves until DH gets home and then after DH gives him his lunch, he will go for a nap and then to his second job and I won't be home until 2 - 3 in the afternoon. In talking to the physiotherapist today they may put him in a rehab program.

Dad has moments of being okay with everything and others where he complains from the moment I or my sister get there until we leave. The nurses won't give him cough syrup, they yell at him at night to shut up, and he can't sleep at all. Then we talk to the nurses and they say no, he is a great patient and sleeps very well.

As for me, I am getting over strep throat and am attending the pain program Tuesday and Thursday mornings. The trip in is a bit of an ordeal as we have some minor snow, but I am determined not to miss a session. I think it is going to be very valuable. I am also going next week for a scope of my throat to see why I am not swallowing properly and things are getting caught there, sometimes for hours. So, in other words, I am getting a full makeover!

I miss everyone, but find very little time to be on the computer. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers! They are helping!
So sorry to hear that. Ill be praying!
Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #65
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Miss you Laurie, but right now you are on to more important things. Let us know how the scope goes. Swallow studies are not fun...unless they let you watch it live on the fluoroscope!

Tell your Dad to be good and get better so he won't have to put up with those nasty old nurses!
I won't be watching anything! They have to give me concious sedation just to get that scope down (horrendous gag reflex!)

As for Dad, when I was there today he said last night was so bad he was ready to pack up and come home. I sat there for a moment and then said "and how did you propose to do that without your clothes and walker?" He said he hadn't quite worked out all the details!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #66
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
I won't be watching anything! They have to give me concious sedation just to get that scope down (horrendous gag reflex!)

As for Dad, when I was there today he said last night was so bad he was ready to pack up and come home. I sat there for a moment and then said "and how did you propose to do that without your clothes and walker?" He said he hadn't quite worked out all the details!
At least he still has his humor! I hope you both feel better soon.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
I won't be watching anything! They have to give me concious sedation just to get that scope down (horrendous gag reflex!)

As for Dad, when I was there today he said last night was so bad he was ready to pack up and come home. I sat there for a moment and then said "and how did you propose to do that without your clothes and walker?" He said he hadn't quite worked out all the details!
Oh geez. Best of luck to you and your dad, Laurie!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #68
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I won't be watching anything! They have to give me concious sedation just to get that scope down (horrendous gag reflex!)

As for Dad, when I was there today he said last night was so bad he was ready to pack up and come home. I sat there for a moment and then said "and how did you propose to do that without your clothes and walker?" He said he hadn't quite worked out all the details!
They told me conscious sedation for the colonoscopy...I woke up three hours later... Just like anyone else who is sleep deprived, we nurses take advantage of the sedation!

I wonder if your Dad tells you it's so horrible so you won't think he likes it there and is comfortable.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
LP, are you his medical proxy? If so, let him go to rehab. And if you can show up at different times of the day, when the shifts have changed, then do so. Just don't let anyone know what you are doing. As his medical proxy, you have the right to read his chart.

Does he demonstrate a problem with his coughing when you are there? Or is his complaining just his way of getting attention? Listen to him, but with a small dose of tough love. In the meantime, knowing that your father is in a safe place, take care of your own health problem first. And if you can enlist the assistance of any other family member, then do so. And do it guilt-free. It is time for the rest of the family to step up and give you a hand. If they try to give you a hard time with excuses, then ask them "Will you have time for a funeral?" It will bring them up short. They will bluster and fluster, but don't accept their excuses. In spite of what you may think, you are not Super Woman. You are just a loving daughter trying to do her best with an aging parent.

Set up a visiting schedule. And make sure everyone sticks by it. As your father improves, he will interact with the rest of the patients and will not be so dependent on family visitors.

You are now the parent. And as the parent, you have to do what is best for the child. And for yourself. Make it understood that if your father wants his position back as the parent, he has to cooperate and do his part to getting better.

In the meantime, make your own health problems your priority. You can't be much help to your father, if you fall sick also. Good luck and prayers go with you.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
i know andy's on vacation, but i hope pacanis hasn't shot himself in the foot!

in his thighty whities and cowboy boots in front of the full length mirror, of course...

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #71
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i know andy's on vacation, but i hope pacanis hasn't shot himself in the foot!

in his thighty whities and cowboy boots in front of the full length mirror, of course...

Now that's a picture I did not need in my head.

No offense, Fred.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i know andy's on vacation, but i hope pacanis hasn't shot himself in the foot!

in his thighty whities and cowboy boots in front of the full length mirror, of course...

Huh? I don't have a full length mirror...
I've been posting everyday. I've just been avoiding the threads that turn into bickering or health related threads. I've found that seeing who posted last and clicking on last post, then working my way backwards is a semi-doable workaround, so if I missed something you asked me, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Now that's a picture I did not need in my head.

No offense, Fred.
None taken, Sir.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,282
I am heading to San Antonio early Tuesday a.m. I'll be checking email and the forum, but will be out of the kitchen until February 8th when I hook up with my folks.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Huh? I don't have a full length mirror...
I've been posting everyday. I've just been avoiding the threads that turn into bickering or health related threads. I've found that seeing who posted last and clicking on last post, then working my way backwards is a semi-doable workaround, so if I missed something you asked me, sorry



None taken, Sir.
No full-length mirror, but no denial about cowboy boots or tighty whities...I best finish packing and head out--there might be a lone shot coming my way.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I'd love to visit San Antonio and eat.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #76
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I am heading to San Antonio early Tuesday a.m. I'll be checking email and the forum, but will be out of the kitchen until February 8th when I hook up with my folks.
Missing you already, take care! Have fun! {{{{CWS}}}}
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,086
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I am heading to San Antonio early Tuesday a.m. I'll be checking email and the forum, but will be out of the kitchen until February 8th when I hook up with my folks.
Bon voyage. Have a great time. We'll miss you.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,282
Thanks, ladies. I'm about to shut down the computer, finish cleaning out the fridge, and wait for my DH to pick me up. Haircut, movie, and dinner out tonight, early trip to the airport tomorrow.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #79
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Thanks, ladies. I'm about to shut down the computer, finish cleaning out the fridge, and wait for my DH to pick me up. Haircut, movie, and dinner out tonight, early trip to the airport tomorrow.
I'm no lady, but I do wish you well on your trip. I wish I was going with you. I love the foods that are popular in that part of the country.

Have fun! Eat a bunch!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Have a great time CWS. We'll miss you.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.