Going MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm back.

thanks, gg. it was a nice vacation. a trip to vermont amd searching out a summer rental down the jersey shore, but no florida, though.

my culinary discoveries from vacation were i bought a small bottle of bacon salt (can't wait to try it on grilled chicken or a salad), and i had a fantastic dish called something like malafammena", which was shellfish - lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, and crab over linguini in a soupy tomato/old bay/clam broth. really good.

lots of baseball of late. i'm beat after working 5 hours non-stop in the kitchen at the ballfield tonight slinging hot dogs, french fries, and chicken fingers. i have a new found respect for short order cooks. i was only doing it for 5 hours (without a minute break) and i'm pretty tired. i can't imagine cooking and serving like that for 8 or 10 hours or longer. thank god i got to work with a woman who runs a school cafeteria as her regular job. i only made 1 mistake on the register as well, so i think we did ok.

anyway, i'm happy to be back at my own job where my butt gets ever wider as i sit in front of a keyboard.

still, it was fun.
The little stint I had working in a commercial kitchen this past winter was EXHAUSTING. I would crawl home sooooo tired. A lot harder than sitting on my butt in front of my computer 8-12 hours at a time.

Glad you're back!

I'm heading west early tomorrow morning. I hope to hit STL by mid-day Sunday. I had hoped to go to the Soulard Farmers' Market, but it isn't open when I will have some time...oh, well. Once I'm done in STL, I'll be heading north for the aspargus season, the opening of walleye fishing, and some time with family and extended family. I need to restock my wild rice supply and do some online shopping for things I can't get here. I will be checking on DC, but not cooking at all after today for at least a week.

I'm heading west early tomorrow morning. I hope to hit STL by mid-day Sunday. I had hoped to go to the Soulard Farmers' Market, but it isn't open when I will have some time...oh, well. Once I'm done in STL, I'll be heading north for the aspargus season, the opening of walleye fishing, and some time with family and extended family. I need to restock my wild rice supply and do some online shopping for things I can't get here. I will be checking on DC, but not cooking at all after today for at least a week.
Have a safe, productive, and fun trip.

Oooo. Soulard. Wish I could go too. It's one of so many swell things to do in St. Louis & surrounds. Lived there for a while, hated to leave. After all, that's where I learned about the duck dance (aka chicken dance), brats & beer. And some of the nicest people I ever met.

Ooooo. Walleyes.

Ooooo. Wild rice.

Oo

Take care, CWS.

Drive carefully...if not, drive really, really fast!:LOL: Have fun and check in when you can.

Drive carefully...if not, drive really, really fast!:LOL: Have fun and check in when you can.
If I were still driving my '67 MGB Roadster, that would be a temptation. However, I am driving my '98 Volvo wagon. Jeanne's a great car, but she's no MGB (and thank goodness for that, my MGB was a mechanic's dream--she had to be tweaked all the time, but man, was she a fun car to drive!!!!). Jeanne survived getting swiped by a manure truck--I feel as if I'm driving a mini-tank down the road when I'm driving her. And, she has heated seats--a great thing to have on a long road trip if you suffer from chronic back pain.

I'm heading west early tomorrow morning. I hope to hit STL by mid-day Sunday....

Just saw this as I haven't been on much the last two days. Like many here in MA, my time has been spent watching law enforcement do their thing. Kudos guys! Way to Go!

Speaking of going, have a great trip. Even though vacations with Himself or my SIL are fun there is nothing so exciting as travelling by yourself. No one to answer to, just yourself. Stay safe, have fun - we expect a full report when you get back home. And sharing a little of the walleye wouldn't hurt either.:LOL:

BTW, you all know about the New Year's Eve Ball Drop on Time Square, right? Port Clinton OH does New Year's Eve a little differently...a Walleye Drop! You can read all about their silliness here: Walleye Madness - Walleye Drop (Port Clinton, Ohio)

I'll be MIA for a while too. We're headed for Kaui, Hawaii and the little condo we've rented for three Springs in a row. I'm packing my favorite knife and spices!

My broken foot is all better, but soaking it in warm salt water is just the prescription to make it perfect again. :cool: I'll be checking on DC with my Nook, but typing on that thing is a pain for a touch typist. Can you tell I don't thumb type "text" let alone, "tweet"?:LOL: Aloha!!:flowers:

I'll be MIA for a while too. We're headed for Kaui, Hawaii and the little condo we've rented for three Springs in a row. I'm packing my favorite knife and spices!

My broken foot is all better, but soaking it in warm salt water is just the prescription to make it perfect again. :cool: I'll be checking on DC with my Nook, but typing on that thing is a pain for a touch typist. Can you tell I don't thumb type "text" let alone, "tweet"?:LOL: Aloha!!:flowers:

Oh, Kayelle, I am so envious! Glad the foot is better. Love love love Kauai! If you snorkel Koloa landing, please say "hi" to our favorite turtle. And to all the dolphins. And the sharks. We would go back more often, but it's such a loooong trip for us. Have a great time!

Last edited:

I can prescribe extra time in the salt water soak, followed by a little hot sand therapy. Have fun Kayelle!

...My broken foot is all better, but soaking it in warm salt water is just the prescription to make it perfect again....

I can prescribe extra time in the salt water soak, followed by a little hot sand therapy. Have fun Kayelle!

Have a great time relaxing and rehabbing Kayelle. And I bet a little bit of an alcohol rub (from the inside) would make the foot better too.;)

FWIW, I'm a touch typist too. Himself the two-finger tapper can't figure out why I keep yelling at the keyboard on our notebook "Squirt" when I'm trying to punch something out quickly.:LOL:

Thanks for the good wishes folks. Here's a picture of our favorite little beach from last year, where we like to read under the Sea Grape Tree, with our cooler of snacks and libation. ;) We're picking up some better chairs on our way from the airport, and leaving them in the closet at the condo for others to enjoy till we get there again.
0314f8b861a5a23f1334543898.jpeg.w300h225.jpg

There's a rock free smooth path of sand into the water for easy walking and some of the most spectacular fish living in the rocks that jet out of either side of the water path. We love to snorkel and this is the most ideal situation we've ever found. I can hardly wait to get there!:cool: I even bought some new cool sun glasses. ;)

Thanks for the good wishes folks. Here's a picture of our favorite little beach from last year, where we like to read under the Sea Grape Tree, with our cooler of snacks and libation. ;) We're picking up some better chairs on our way from the airport, and leaving them in the closet at the condo for others to enjoy till we get there again.
0314f8b861a5a23f1334543898.jpeg.w300h225.jpg

There's a rock free smooth path of sand into the water for easy walking and some of the most spectacular fish living in the rocks that jet out of either side of the water path. We love to snorkel and this is the most ideal situation we've ever found. I can hardly wait to get there!:cool: I even bought some new cool sun glasses. ;)

however did you manage to find such an idealyc beach nook in hawaii, kayelle? it's the perfect dream location, an ideally intimate spot for you to enjoy with your honey and your newly healed foot. bon voyage!:)

Back
Top Bottom