"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #571
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh, MsM! Thank you so much for keeping us posted! What scarey goings-on. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #572
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh, MsM! Thank you so much for keeping us posted! What scarey goings-on. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours.
What she said. and (((hugs)))

Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #573
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the firsthand account MsM.
Keep looking at the positives, as disparaging as it seems.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #574
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thinking of you and yours MsM. Take care!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #575
Master Chef

Thank you for the comforting words, they really do help. It is crazy out there. I saw on the news some guy in NYC cut in line for gas and when another guy complained the line cutter pulled a gun on him!! I am now worried about even trying to go find gas. My landline phone (regular old-fashioned phone NOT digital or cable phone) is still out. I had to go onto Verizon website to set up a repair call. Set for Monday 11/5/12 (Halloween for us LOL). Called the office manager where I work and she said not to worry about work today just call her over the weekend and let her know how we are doing. She left her home phone number on my answer call machine. I can call to get my home phone messages (when I have a cell signal); calls to us are going straight to voice mail.

I would swim through a flood to get an egg nog shake from Micky D's or a gingerbread shake from Burger King IF they had power and were open!! LOL
Funny thing was that the Micky D's right next to the hotel we stayed at and our hotel had NO power BUT the Dunkin Donuts right next door to Micky D's HAD power!! The line of cars trying to get into that place was a mile down the highway. LOL I even saw a firetruck and a police car waiting in the line!! TeeHee is that a stereotype confirmed or what?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #576
Certified Cake Maniac

MsM, one of the things I have always loved about you is that even in tough times you are able to find a chuckle or two and look for the bright side. Thank you for this because the combination of your description of the bad and the good help those of us not there to understand the situation so much better.

Stay safe {{{{{{{{{{{{{MsM}}}}}}}}}}}}}

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #577
Chef Extraordinaire

So glad to hear you are alive and kicking. Keep looking for the funny moments. Prayers have been flying from this residence for all our DC members. As crazy as it may sound, we were a lot better prepared for this storm than last year for Irene. At this end, the utilities started to trim the tree back a week before the storm was due to hit. As a result the power has come back a lot sooner than folks expected. And I am sure it will come back for you soon.

When you look back at other disasters, strangers and neighbors pull together and help everyone get through it. I remember during the blizzard of '78, seeing my neighbors out shoveling not only their property, but their neighbors. Some folks even went to the post office and the local emergency clinic and shoveled them out. That is not amazing. It is just what we do. We look out for each other. And we send prayers for those we can't help but care so much about. Like yourself. Take care and keep in mind that, "...and this too shall pass."
Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #578
Master Chef

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{MsM}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I'm so glad to hear from you!!! To be honest, I had totally forgotten where you live and likely just as well that I didn't know until now. I'm glad to hear that you are safe if not sound right now, and my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family at this terrible time.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #579
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
MsM, one of the things I have always loved about you is that even in tough times you are able to find a chuckle or two and look for the bright side. Thank you for this because the combination of your description of the bad and the good help those of us not there to understand the situation so much better.

Stay safe {{{{{{{{{{{{{MsM}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So glad to hear you are alive and kicking. Keep looking for the funny moments. Prayers have been flying from this residence for all our DC members. As crazy as it may sound, we were a lot better prepared for this storm than last year for Irene. At this end, the utilities started to trim the tree back a week before the storm was due to hit. As a result the power has come back a lot sooner than folks expected. And I am sure it will come back for you soon.

When you look back at other disasters, strangers and neighbors pull together and help everyone get through it. I remember during the blizzard of '78, seeing my neighbors out shoveling not only their property, but their neighbors. Some folks even went to the post office and the local emergency clinic and shoveled them out. That is not amazing. It is just what we do. We look out for each other. And we send prayers for those we can't help but care so much about. Like yourself. Take care and keep in mind that, "...and this too shall pass."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{MsM}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I'm so glad to hear from you!!! To be honest, I had totally forgotten where you live and likely just as well that I didn't know until now. I'm glad to hear that you are safe if not sound right now, and my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family at this terrible time.

Thank you LP, Addie and Kayelle.

During Irene last year the water came up but not quite as high. We never lost any utilities (power, phone, cable, internet and gas were fine) and never had to leave home during Irene. Not many lost power etc in this imediate area during Irene. This year was bad because the levee broke and 10 FEET PLUS water surged into the area in minutes BEFORE HIGH TIDE came in. We live in the "meadows". The meadowlands has lots of small creeks all around us and several large rivers (hackensack river (is were the water jumped the banks and broke the levee) and passaic river on both sides of the area and hudson river not to far).This time (during Sandy) our power was back on in less than 24 hours BUT we had to wait for the water to recede so we could get to our house. The cable and internet still flick on and off now and then but not as often and not as long as yesterday. And no landline phone is annoying and disturbing (this is the first time I have lost landline phone in MANY years) and cell is a little stronger but not stable yet.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #580
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Maybe the Dunkin Donuts had their own generator. When we had the ice storm in 1998, our local DD seemed to have backup power. They only made instant coffee because they didn't have enough power to run the coffee makers and I think they had gas to boil water and bake donuts.