Going MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really going anywhere, but new management put a tight rope around Internet use at work. So I will not be able to log in during the day much. And my evenings are short. I work till 7:30 PM. I'll do what I can of course. I have no plans of quitting this place.

Not really going anywhere, but new management put a tight rope around Internet use at work. So I will not be able to log in during the day much. And my evenings are short. I work till 7:30 PM. I'll do what I can of course. I have no plans of quitting this place.
Glad to hear that. Hope you get some chances to drop in around here. You may have to use the phone app. :rolleyes:

Charlie, Re; The unrest in Kiev. Do you still have family located there? :angel:

i just don't understand the attitudes today of employees using company time on their (or the office's) computers--playing their computer games, catching up their fb profiles, surfing the net, etc. in my book at the very least, this is stealing company time. concurrently, there is a widely accepted practice of sales people who carry on lengthy personal conversations on their cells, while keeping their customers waiting. whatever happened to professional standards, pride in one's work, the whole concept of work ethic? just call me old school....

I actually think co is right. There is too much internet entertainment going on during work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

i just don't understand the attitudes today of employees using company time on their (or the office's) computers--playing their computer games, catching up their fb profiles, surfing the net, etc. in my book at the very least, this is stealing company time. concurrently, there is a widely accepted practice of sales people who carry on lengthy personal conversations on their cells, while keeping their customers waiting. whatever happened to professional standards, pride in one's work, the whole concept of work ethic? just call me old school....

You know where the boundaries are. And if you are lucky enough to enjoy your work, you know at the end of a bad day, when you walk out that door, you are still your own person. But when you are in that building, you belong to the company. If one or two get fired for rule breaking, right in front of the other employees, it sends a strong message.

I am sure almost every company has the rule of not discussing salary. I have seen employees get fired on the spot for violating that rule. :angel:

I completely agree. I had a remote crawler on my work computer today, popped up when I surfed to Google to look up an unfamiliar Drug name (it's quicker that looking it up in a book), they must be bored watching my computer by now.:LOL:

I agree that it's wrong to "steal time" from a company, but sometimes a company or boss could hold a leash so tight that it stifles productivity. I had a long essay written about it...until I saw how long it was. :ermm: Let's just say I always worked harder for the boss who showed me how to relax when the work load let us breathe, and did the bare minimum for those who ruled with an iron hand.

I agree that it's wrong to "steal time" from a company, but sometimes a company or boss could hold a leash so tight that it stifles productivity. I had a long essay written about it...until I saw how long it was. :ermm: Let's just say I always worked harder for the boss who showed me how to relax when the work load let us breathe, and did the bare minimum for those who ruled with an iron hand.

I make the time to goof off, it includes wandering the facility and talking to my patients, stopping in offices and chatting for a minute. I take breaks where I just put my head down or read. E-mail is the only leisure activity I do on the computer, usually just a quick chat with Shrek.:wub:

forgive me if i don't share a belief in the workforce of today to possess the same integrity, sense of purpose and discipline as a dedicated worker such as yourself, goddess.

I completely agree. I had a remote crawler on my work computer today, popped up when I surfed to Google to look up an unfamiliar Drug name (it's quicker that looking it up in a book), they must be bored watching my computer by now.:LOL:

When I worked at Wyeth, every time I had to set up a new protocol, I would go to Microsoft ClipArt to find a fitting design for the outside of the binders. I got called on it and had to explain why the new setup was such a success. Each protocol could be identified across the room from the ClipArt and different lettering. Each manager no longer had to hunt for their protocol. My new system of designing the binders was eventually included in the SOP. That was the last time anything was said. :angel:

They want us to take computers into the patient rooms while we do the interviews and assessments. I just can't do it, talk about removing yourself from the discussion and I hated it while I was in the hospital. I find the computer changes the exchange of information and you find out more, faster if you just sit for a chat, not read off a script.

There no longer is any company loyalty. By the company or employee. You used to be able to look forward to retirement from 'your' company. Not anymore. You are there for only the paycheck and benefits. Multiple job changes on a resume are no longer looked down upon by prospective employers. Some employees will even use company time to search for their next employment. :angel:

Yeah, that all started in the '80s when the new MBA whiz kids started advising companies to increase profits by increasing efficiency by cutting staff and valuing shareholders over staff. Companies that treat staff like expendable widgets get the loyalty they deserve.

Back
Top Bottom