Going MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, been MIA

... I have been so very ill since we got back from Hawaii the ending of May (we were gone for the entire month of May) and have not really been in contact with anyone or thing.
I have neglected everything...my poor husband had to fend for himself and didn't do well. I use to be on ChefTalk as well, but I just can't keep up.
We left on another month long road trip across the country and just got back. I lied and said that I was okay to do the trip, but I really wasn't, I should have been in the hospital. I can't remember the first week or two of the trip!
It's been one hell of a year for me and I pray that from this point on, it will be smooth sailing.

I'm so sorry to hear that, K'girl. I had to postpone our 30th anniversary trip earlier this year and ended up having surgery a few weeks after we were scheduled to go, so I understand how you feel. I hope you get better soon. Take care.

Have a wonderful trip, Kay and SousChef! :flowers: Be sure to visit the Empress Hotel while you're in Victoria. Fabulous, breathtaking place....if I remember correctly it's a very short walk from the ferry - 10 minutes or less, it's right on the Harbor.

Butchart Gardens is astonishing. :ohmy: Can't wait to see all your pics, and you haven't even left yet! :)
Cheryl,
We are scheduled to have high tea at the Empress

Cheryl,
We are scheduled to have high tea at the Empress
Oh, that's wonderful! I wanted to have high tea at the Empress when I was there many moons ago, but at the time I didn't know you had to reserve quite a while in advance.

I'm so sorry to hear that, K'girl. I had to postpone our 30th anniversary trip earlier this year and ended up having surgery a few weeks after we were scheduled to go, so I understand how you feel. I hope you get better soon. Take care.

Oh dear, no bueno, K-girl! Happy that you're back!

Many thanks for your kind thoughts gals. :flowers:

Oh, that's wonderful! I wanted to have high tea at the Empress when I was there many moons ago, but at the time I didn't know you had to reserve quite a while in advance.
Here is more than you ever want to know about high tea there:)
[FONT=&quot]TEA FUN FACTS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Afternoon Tea was started by the Duchess of Bedford in the 19th century when she had a "sinking" feeling in the afternoon. The Duchess had the chef prepare a little meal with tea, and soon it became known as Afternoon Tea[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]During the centennial restoration in 2008, the hotel's original Tea Lobby floor was replaced and the wood of the original floor was transformed into delicate Afternoon Tea tables; - one may say you're eating off the floor [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Nearly 100,000 guests are served tea annually with an estimated 500,000 cups of tea(5 cups per person!)
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Although very popular and reservations are recommended, rarely are guests ever turned away from Afternoon Tea. Often the artful hand-cut glass dome of the Palm Court adjacent to the Tea Lobby is transformed into an additional Afternoon Tea space [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Our Tea servers are some of our most tenured colleagues in the hotel with over 42 years of service [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The most recent royal visitors to enjoy Afternoon Tea were the Emperor and Empress of Japan. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The Empress Tea China was originally presented to King George V in 1914 upon the opening of the Booth factory in Stoke-on-Trent, England. The china was first used by The Empress in 1939 for the Royal visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. The pattern is now produced by William Edwards exclusively for The Fairmont Empress [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The portraits in the tea lobby are King George V and his wife Queen Mary, who originally intended to wed his brother, Prince Edward, who died of pneumonia. The portraits have been in place since the hotel opened in 1908 [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The difference between high tea and afternoon tea? High tea is generally taken at 4:00 p.m., and was more of a "working man's" dinner and they included hot savory items. High tea is mistakenly thought to include champagne or sparkling wine, but this should be referred to as Royal Tea [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Notable guests have included Queen Elizabeth II, Rudyard Kipling, Shirley Temple, Spencer Tracy, Princess Margaret, Rita Hayworth, the King and Queen of Siam, Bob Hope, John Travolta, Barbra Streisand, Joan Lunden, Sarah McLachlan, Mel Gibson and Nelly Furtado [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The Empress Tea Blend comes from six estates, including Kenya, Tanzania, South India, Assam, Sri Lanka, and China [/FONT]

I'll drink to that, Kayelle.
drinking-38.gif

The Ritz Carlton in Boston was located just around the corner from where I worked. At two in the afternoon, they would serve tea with a floor show of the latest fashions from Saks Fifth Avenue right next door. Tea and finger sandwiches along with tea cakes. Made for a great late lunch break. A favorite spot for the girls I worked with. :angel:

... I have been so very ill since we got back from Hawaii the ending of May (we were gone for the entire month of May) and have not really been in contact with anyone or thing.
I have neglected everything...my poor husband had to fend for himself and didn't do well. I use to be on ChefTalk as well, but I just can't keep up.
We left on another month long road trip across the country and just got back. I lied and said that I was okay to do the trip, but I really wasn't, I should have been in the hospital. I can't remember the first week or two of the trip!
It's been one hell of a year for me and I pray that from this point on, it will be smooth sailing.

No one is more important than yourself. And your health has to come first. Please don't be so foolish again. You are missed when you are not with us. :angel:

Speaking of Afternoon Tea

I'd rather have a glass of wine. ;):ROFLMAO:

For my family Bridal Shower, I invited all the gals to the Moana Surfrider Hotel for Afternoon Tea, which in my humble opinion, is one of THE most beautiful spots on Earth.
So there we all were, sitting on the veranda on the beach at Waikiki, my Mother, Aunt, two of my Sister-in-laws-to-be and my little Sister who, orders 3, yes THREE Martinis and didn't a bite. :huh::LOL:
HEH! I just remembered something! That was 22 years ago yesterday!! Time flies when you're having fun :)

Breaktime

Hey, Friends, I'm taking a sabbatical from DC for a short while. Wait! Don't pop the corks on the celebratory bubbly, I will be back. Consider that a promise OR a threat. ;)

IF I am EVER going to have this garage sale I keep saying I am, I have to remove myself from DC (and Facebook, except for stalking my progeny...) cold-turkey in order to make sure I spend no time here. The way it has been going, logging in "just for a minute" sees way more time evaporate than a few minutes. Considering that the "tone" MrsLMB warned us about as being off-putting is trying to creep back in, this seems as good of a time as any to take my breather.

Never fear, Himself and I will be eating. Or at least I will be eating. I'm considering a cooking strike if he doesn't patch and paint the front porch rails and floor. He has no idea how long I can be happy with eating PB and Jelly sandwiches. :brows: BwaHaHa!

I should be back before the ghosts spook and the witches fly. If not, send a turkey out to find me, OK?

PS - If you really need to get in touch with me, shoot me a PM through DC. I do get notifications of PMs. Thanks.

CG, enjoy your breather and pace yourself with the garage stuff. Also, make sure there is enough room in your inbox that our PMs don't bounce.

Back
Top Bottom