"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
Head Chef

Going to a grocery store while on vacation

Am I the only one who does this ?? For some reason, If I go away, and I see a chain of supermarket Im not familiar with, I love to go in and browse around just to see what products im missing out on. Sometimes its the highlight of my vacations

Any other grocery store freaks out there like me ??

And if it is a farmers market or some kind of ethnic food specialty store, forget about it, i feel like ive gone to heaven....

Old 12-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
Master Chef

I am definitely with you on the farmers markets and ethnic foods and specialty food stores, we love to explore those on vacations. Different supermarket chains and stuff we do sometimes go in and poke around and see what its like and what they carry, but I wouldn't say love to do it.
It's those small specialty stores that I get the most kick out of, especially mom and pop stores for everything from candy to wine to who knows what LOL.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
Master Chef

Larry, I'm with you. When I am out of town, I love to see what the local markets have to offer and I always go in to look for things I can't find anymore in my area. I have also found things that I can't seem to live without and end up mail ordering alot of things as a result of it. No, you are not alone!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hello -- My name is Bob, and I am a out-of-town grocery store browser...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

We go to Aruba every year (timeshare). There are several American style supermarkets there that cater to tourist in the timeshares. There is an interesting mix of American and European products, produce and meats. We see goat meat in the display case next to the beef and pork.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Head Chef

I love to go to out-of-town grocery stores and browse. I've discovered many things that have become must-haves and are always smuggled back to Tennessee. For a long time it was the local beers, but now when I'm someplace like the Outer Banks I bring back a case of Utz Crab Chips and Harris Teeter lemon cookies. I'm so addicted to the Utz chips that I have friends mule them back for me when they visit home in Maryland and Virginia.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
Head Chef

I grew up in the grocery business so it was a staple in our travels as a kid. Now that DH and I do our own traveling, I've shared the tradition with him. It's fun to see what other areas carry and I love to find something usual in their deli to try.

When I was away at college and then living in the Pacific NW, I would get really homesick and would wander the grocery aisles ... made me feel better.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Living in a little midwestern town, I love going to groceries in different areas of the country while on vacation. People here are basic meat/potato eaters and that is what you find in the local stores, no fancy or frills for this area! There is no way I would be able to find a bottle of sriracha or harissa in my local grocery, not even sure if I could find a bottle of capers! It is also interesting to see the varied pricing between the midwest, the east coast and the west coast on every day items.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
Sous Chef

my only problem with browsing the otu of town markets is that I end up wanted to buy stuff and no one to bring it back home.

but definitly is nice to see how the other side lives so to say
Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm a store brouser