"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I'm praying for your mom and the family, Allen. Thankfully they have made so many advances in breast cancer treatment in the last couple decades.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Allen - you and your Mom have my prayers. It sounds like this was caught early, which is good. It's still the dreaded "c" word. I have several friends who are survivors. Things have come a long way and I wish your Mom the best!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to support her - good for you!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
Master Chef
Allen, you and your family hang on-----they have made such advances these days with breast cancer. My daughter's boyfriend's mother is a gyn in Berkely and she said that the older a woman is when diagnosed the easier it is to take care of it-----it's the younger women who have the most problems------if your mother has been having yearly exams and mams so much the better. See what the doctors have to say.......all my best wishes are coming your way..........
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Head Chef
The treatment will depend upon the results of the pathologic evaluation of the lumpectomy specimen, including, but not necessarily limited to the distance of the tumor from the edges of the lumpectomy specimen, the exact type of cancer, and, if they are taking lymph nodes from the axilla (arm pit) whether there is involvement of them or not by the cancer.

The pathology results could indicate that nothing more is needed to be done except follow up, or perhaps, if necessary, further surgery, and/or chemotherapy and/or radiation.

Wish her the best, you have my prayers.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Allen, I'm so sorry your family is having to face cancer. You must be very scared - it's your mama! I love that you are already trying to figure out the kind of support she will need in the days to come. Does she live near you? As for prayers, I'm sending mine, too. I think we're a powerful force here at DC so she should be getting a healing blast from all sides! Please keep posting updates. If they decide to do chemo or radiation (sometimes as a preventative even if the lumpectomy shows it not to have spread), there are a lot of things that she will need and that will make it more comfortable for her. We'll be happy to help. In the mean time, love her up so that she's ready for next week.
Peace and Love to your Family,
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #16
Master Chef
that is awful news, prayers sent.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
You and Mom, have my good thoughts and prayers..May you all have peace..
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sorry to hear the news, Allen. Buck and I certainly send love and prayers to you all. As others have said, the advances in this form of cancer have been wonderful in recent years. The future is much brighter for your mother than it might have been even 2 years ago. Just remember...the first three letters of cancer are...C-A-N! She CAN beat this.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
all my very best wishes for you and your mom. tell her we are thinking of her, please.

babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Thanks everyone!

I believe they are takig her lymph nodes as well. My Mom lives close, about 20 minutes away. Both her and my step-father are down with the flu right now, or I'd have been over there yesterday and today.

I lost my father to colon cancer over 20 years ago. So yes, we are kind of "worried" about it. Heck, I've been thinking about getting a colonoscopy (sp?) for myself. I did have a "quickie" type in-office test run a couple years ago when I got a physical, and that one came back clean.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote