Going to need some support!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I know I haven't been logged on as much as usual the past few months. Dailup sucks!

Well, I learned yesterday that my mother has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer :ohmy:

They're talking about a Lumpectomy next week, I believe, and then close watching to see if they got it all. I'm not sure if chemo will be involved or not.

We're going to call my other half's aunt, who is a Survivor, for ideas for support. I'm also going to check out the local CBS affiliate's website, as one of their morning Anchors is a Survivor as well, and they're always doing this to support the Komen organization.

How terrible Allen! You and your family have had a rough few months from memory. I hope the procedure is successful and your mum needs no further treatment. Hang in there.

Sounds like they may have caught it good and early Allen. Hang in there, there have been GREAT strides made lately. Prayers for you all.

I'm sorry to hear that Allen... I will be praying that all is well with you and your mother.

I'm praying for your mom and the family, Allen. Thankfully they have made so many advances in breast cancer treatment in the last couple decades.

:flowers: Barbara

Allen - you and your Mom have my prayers. It sounds like this was caught early, which is good. It's still the dreaded "c" word. I have several friends who are survivors. Things have come a long way and I wish your Mom the best!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to support her - good for you!

Allen, you and your family hang on-----they have made such advances these days with breast cancer. My daughter's boyfriend's mother is a gyn in Berkely and she said that the older a woman is when diagnosed the easier it is to take care of it-----it's the younger women who have the most problems------if your mother has been having yearly exams and mams so much the better. See what the doctors have to say.......all my best wishes are coming your way..........

The treatment will depend upon the results of the pathologic evaluation of the lumpectomy specimen, including, but not necessarily limited to the distance of the tumor from the edges of the lumpectomy specimen, the exact type of cancer, and, if they are taking lymph nodes from the axilla (arm pit) whether there is involvement of them or not by the cancer.

The pathology results could indicate that nothing more is needed to be done except follow up, or perhaps, if necessary, further surgery, and/or chemotherapy and/or radiation.

Wish her the best, you have my prayers.

Allen, I'm so sorry your family is having to face cancer. You must be very scared - it's your mama! I love that you are already trying to figure out the kind of support she will need in the days to come. Does she live near you? As for prayers, I'm sending mine, too. I think we're a powerful force here at DC so she should be getting a healing blast from all sides! Please keep posting updates. If they decide to do chemo or radiation (sometimes as a preventative even if the lumpectomy shows it not to have spread), there are a lot of things that she will need and that will make it more comfortable for her. We'll be happy to help. In the mean time, love her up so that she's ready for next week.
Peace and Love to your Family,
Terry

Allen,
You and Mom, have my good thoughts and prayers..May you all have peace..
kadesma

Sorry to hear the news, Allen. Buck and I certainly send love and prayers to you all. As others have said, the advances in this form of cancer have been wonderful in recent years. The future is much brighter for your mother than it might have been even 2 years ago. Just remember...the first three letters of cancer are...C-A-N! She CAN beat this.

Thanks everyone!

I believe they are takig her lymph nodes as well. My Mom lives close, about 20 minutes away. Both her and my step-father are down with the flu right now, or I'd have been over there yesterday and today.

I lost my father to colon cancer over 20 years ago. So yes, we are kind of "worried" about it. Heck, I've been thinking about getting a colonoscopy (sp?) for myself. I did have a "quickie" type in-office test run a couple years ago when I got a physical, and that one came back clean.

Back
Top Bottom