"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Head Chef

Going to see Emeril in NYC - where to stay?

A friend won a lottery for tickets to Emeril Live, first week in December, mid-week, and invited me to go along.

I've never been to NY, so I'd like to spend a couple of nights there, but most of the hotels near Chelsea market are hugely expensive and/or booked.

Any tips on where to stay, or other tips? We are planning to take Amtrak from Boston into Penn Station.

One of my friends said I HAVE to go to "Hog and Heffers". Haven't googled that one yet, but it doesn't sound like a hotel.

Lee

Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds like you are in for a good time. We made that trip on the train years ago and stayed in Time Square in the Marriott. I think it's an expensive spot. It was a gift for us.

We ate at the Roxy Deli in Times Square. It's worth a visit for the hot pastrami sandwich!

There are some folks with more NYC experience who will help more.

Have a great toime and tell us when you will be on TV!

Be sure to hold up a sign that says, "Hello Andy M.!"

Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Lou and I were on Emeril's show two years ago. Be prepared to wait around in the green room for over an hour... Get there early, because that's the way they seat the crowd in the main part of the room. We got to sit on the stage, at one of the bars. I hated the menu he prepared....nothing but cookies, a cake, and a fried dough thing. It really seemed like he mailed the entire episode in.

How funky do you want to get with your lodging? There are lots and lots of places to stay. Your best bet is to do a priceline or bookit thing, and go through the list of hotels based on prices.

Hogs and Heiffers is the last remaining dive in the old meat packing district. What used to (a mere 5 years ago) be a thriving meat packing district, complete with the accompanying stench of a fresh kill, and was home to some of the best clubs anywhere in the city, is now a pseudo disney land of art galleries, expensive (read chic but with sales help that have nothing but contempt for you) clothing shops and restaurants that have yet to dish up an original thought. Hogs is a touristy stop that once used to be a biker bar. I'm sure the bikers still hang out there, and it may actually be as rough as it used to be.....but if you don't care for smelly guys and girls in leather, badly in need of deodorant, find another club. Personally, I would recommend Jazz Standard.

Delta Grill has the best cajun/creole food in the city. If you are in the city after this wednesday, you can check out the tree at Rockefeller center, too.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
Head Chef

Wow, thanks for all the great info, Vera!! Think I'll skip Hogs, but would love to try the pastrami at the Roxi Deli (thanks, Andy!).

Yes, I've been looking at online hotel sites - there doesn't seem to be much available between the $60/night hostels and $350-$400/night "regular" hotels. I was thinking about $200-$250 level of funkiness :-)

A friend suggested that I look at places in Hoboken, NJ and take public transportation to get into the city. What do you think?

I kinda hate to waste all that time hanging around and waiting, just to see Emeril's show, when there's so much else to see and do!

Lee
Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Congrats QSis on the opportunity! I have never been to NY but if the rumours are true, the food is good and can be purchased quite cheaply. Now if this was my holiday (however brief), I would look to get some good accommodation and go for the cheaper food. But that's just me! :)
Old 11-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Wow, thanks for all the great info, Vera!! Think I'll skip Hogs, but would love to try the pastrami at the Roxi Deli (thanks, Andy!).

Yes, I've been looking at online hotel sites - there doesn't seem to be much available between the $60/night hostels and $350-$400/night "regular" hotels. I was thinking about $200-$250 level of funkiness :-)

A friend suggested that I look at places in Hoboken, NJ and take public transportation to get into the city. What do you think?

I kinda hate to waste all that time hanging around and waiting, just to see Emeril's show, when there's so much else to see and do!

Lee
Hoboken isn't known for it's many hotels....you might have a better shot in Jersey City, which is as easily accessible as Hoboken.

What I remember of the Emeril show...you get there when they tell you to, along with everyone else. Wait in a que, and then go upstairs to wait in a room. Then, they file you into the studio, where you wait for him to come in to do the show. If you're lucky, they'll give something away, like a book or CD. If not, you'll get a bag of chips while the people on the stage and at the tables get to try the food he makes. All in all, it was about 4 hours.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

If it is a pastrami sandwich you want, I would recommend Katz's Deli instead of Roxi's. Not that there is anything wrong with Roxi's, just that there is so much right about Katz's (for pastrami at least).
Old 11-22-2007, 07:36 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If it is a pastrami sandwich you want, I would recommend Katz's Deli instead of Roxi's. Not that there is anything wrong with Roxi's, just that there is so much right about Katz's (for pastrami at least).
Katz's is one of if not THE best for pastrami.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
Head Chef

Okay, well, we're booked at the Milford Plaza Hotel which is at 700 8th St.

Will definitely try pastrami at Katz's. I love it enough to try it at Roxi's, too, maybe! :-)

Lee
Old 12-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
Head Chef

Well, thanks to Vera, I sorta knew what to expect at the Emeril taping.

It was so cool to see what happens at a TV show, and he seemed to have so much fun at his job - dancing around, cooking, giving treats to the children, and playing with the Doc Gibbs band during commercial breaks.

The episode is called Urban BBQ (I don't know the air date), and two NY BBQ restaurant owners were featured, and they were sitting at the counter. One owner sent over HUGE pulled pork sandwiches and the other sent over jalapeno and Italian sausages for everyone in the audience! Excellent food!!! We were thrilled!

As for pastrami, I wanted to go to Katz's, based on your recommendations, but my friend who booked the trip INSISTED we go to Stage Deli. The food was good and plentiful, BUT three pastrami sandwiches, a side of onion rings, a side of fries and two rounds of drinks was $114!!!

Here's a picture of one of my friends with her sandwich and onion rings.

[/

Lee