Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
About the bathing, good to give her time to get used to 'routines' I had another different experience this past Thursday. I took the dogs to the groomer since weather starting to get hot 91 degrees already. (Don't know what to look forward to this summer!) When I picked the dogs up, the groomer told me not to expect big change as the diabetic dog, who is blind, went on the table and just couldn't get calmed down. I was so sorry that they had this mess w/her. At the same time I feel that this all comes w/age and not to expect anything normal anymore. Having the diabetes for so long makes her uncomfortable but is this dog smart! Seems she can tell what time to get her shots.

Well, I wrote this last week and sure enough had to take her to vet on Monday to have put to sleep. For the first time in many years I gave her injection about hour ahead of schedule. Next day she started acting as though she couldn't see and very disoriented. Before she was blind but maybe could see light and dark. Don't know what happened. Anyway, she was going potty in the house breezeway and garage. Was a mess. She was the type of dog who did not want to upset me, guess they all feel this way.

So she is gone. I really have my doubts about giving her injections for so long. I maybe did help to keep diabetes under control but she had to be hydrated so often. This caused me anxiety too. Not to mention the expense of all this insulin, office visits and stays. This dog knew when her shots were due as she would come to me and shake her head so I would notice her. I don't really feel I can handle another dog w/diabetes. I have only one left out of 3 and I am wondering if I should ask the vet about having him tested for blood sugar level. The other two all start ed drinking large amount of water. That is why I wonder if someone works all day how can the notice the dogs change?

I have to learn to keep my mouth shut regarding neighbors dogs. They think I am tryig to tell them what to do. I noticed the dog's eye was blind and told them and they said we know. It as just shock to me to notice he was walking in circles probably due to loss of sight in that eye. My family told me to mind my own business and not worry about the dog. Heartless!

I'm so sorry, In the Kitchen. I know first-hand how trying it is to have a diabetic pet, for years and years, and then having to take him on that final trip to the vet. Makes me teary to remember it.

It takes a lot of love and dedication to keep a diabetic pet alive and happy for so long - you did, and are doing, a wonderful job!

Take care,

Lee

ITK I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to make that decision - but when there is no dignity left in their life it is time.

We were talking to a friend who could not comprehend that we go to the expense of taking 2 of our Pugs to an animal opthamologist to save their sight. His comment was that dogs don't need to see - they can smell! Must be why his dog has fallen off the boat several times - couldn't smell the river:angel:. Sheesh!

I so sorry to hear about your loss. Our pets are so dear and close to our hearts. I know how much it hurts to say goodbye, but she will forever remain in your heart.

Thank You

So thankful I have friends who understand about loss, even a dog and maybe especially a dog. They are the only ones who seem to take the time to stick w/you when the world shows how mean it can be.

Every dog I have had seems to be unique. Always different personality. I have made many trips to the vet that seemed to question if it was the right time? The dogs all reacted differently. One even cried all the way to the office and she never had done that before. This dog seemed to just accept it that she was just worn and didn't want this misery to continue. She even laid down on the table and showed no emotion. The vet looked in her eyes and said yea, she's not really there anymore. After having taken care of her many times I figured he thought it was okay not to try to make her linger any longer. My vet is quiet guy. Never really tells person one way or another. But his actions confirmed it.

So now this little guy I have left is kind of lost. Hangs around me due to his being deaf and makes sure he sees me all the time. Talk about a heartbreaker when I have to go. I know she is scared.

I always love animals and know you all do too. Thanks for extending your sympathy. She was a good dog even due to her condition. Must have been a real fighter to hang on so long. Gave me strength.

Take strength from her now, too, Kitch....

Just like the people we love who pass away, so are our beloved pets always with us.

Sending you hugs......... ;)

:( Im so sorry for your loss.I feel it!It's so frustrating and hard to know what to to with our babiesl As I love my creatures so much and it's always so hard to know what to do when they get so sick.I think all you can do is give your last one alot of love and attention and talk to her or him about what happened and try to let your pet know you are there.I believe our pets understand alot more of what we say say to them then we we think.
Again Im so sorry.

Awe ITK... I am deeply sorry and I am giving you a hug now as I type this. I know how hard this had to be and I know what you went through. We had a dog with epilepsy and we had to medicate him daily. Watching him have seizures was not the easiest thing to do and when we finally had him put down, it was heart wrenching and a relief at the same time knowing that he would never have to suffer another seizure. All that time we were medicating him with phenobarb and each day he became more dispondent. So I know what you mean about taking on animals with health issues.

But ITK.. that is what we do... we would never dream of abandoning are little furbabies just because they get sick. They are there for us when we are sick and love us and give us happyness just by their acceptance. I would have your remaining dog checked, better to know up front then be surprised by it all because of major health issue. I admire the fact that you cared for you dog so deeply that you did what you did to take care of them.

As far as neighbors and their dogs, if they are not caring for them appropriately, yes, I will stick my nose in... I really don't care what they think. And if they don't do what is right, I will call someone who will make sure that they will. The neighbors can hate me all they want to, I just want to make sure those doggies are getting the care that they deserve.

Many prayers are coming your way, take heart and know you provided the very best for your companion. :)

itk - i'm very sad to hear of your loss. you are a good "mom" to your furry kids. a huge hug is coming your way from me!

ITK, I'm sorry to read about your loss... but you should never doubt the time you spent with her.. you gave her the best you could do - a live, but when it's time to go it was right to help her...

Routine

It is the routine of giving the injections that is always reminder of her. I knew the time and had to be here no matter what. I just can't get over her acceptance of the shots. She hardly ever seemed to refuse, like she knew it was important. Only seldom did she try to back out of it. Thank you all for your interest. You all would have liked her too.

Back
Top Bottom